Water reserve construction

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Franky971
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Water reserve construction

by Franky971 » 31/10/13, 23:59

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to build a substantial water reserve (10m3 would be good) with corrugated iron in circular shape, this seems to me to be the best.

I found this on the forum:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/fabriquer- ... t3978.html
The idea is good but I think that the sheet will be more resistant in tropical environments (I am in Guadeloupe).

Has anyone ever realized this? I'm not sure how to imagine the design ...

Thank you in advance for your help.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/11/13, 00:19

no need for corrugated sheet, flat sheet is even better

the corrugated sheet is a problem, if we want to put the horizontal corrugation, we need sheets specailement bent like some agricultural silo

if we put the vertical corrugation it complicates everything, we can screw the sheets together but the corrugation of the sheet gives elasticity and the tank expands it under the weight of the water

with flat sheet metal, just screw the sheets together and it's perfectly rigid

I made some, above ground pool style

the bottom of the sheet a little buried in the ground, a layer of sand at the bottom, a polyethylene sheet of 0,2mm thick to make the seal, in one piece: it just folds around the edges

it can be black agricultural polyethylene, but I prefer the slightly yellow transparent polyethylene for greenhouse which is more durable
0 x
Franky971
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Franky971 » 01/11/13, 00:25

I think you are right for flat sheet metal, but I had thought of corrugated sheet because here all the roofs are covered with it and it is easy to find, unlike flat sheet metal.
When you mention transparent polyethylene a little yellow for greenhouse, it's the same story: easy to find black, but transparent I don't know, I have to find out ... but is it also tough?

Do you have photos or details of your achievements?
I'm really interested, thank you!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/11/13, 14:30

from one country to another the prices of materials are different and it is not the same solution which is the cheapest: what is the price of corrugated iron, and price of cement, in your country?

in France also the flat sheet at the corner hardware store is more expensive than the corrugated sheet ... to have the flat sheet at the right price you have to look for a wholesale supplier

compare with a masonry solution

I use transparent yellow polyethylene to make tanks not covered so the plastic has to support the sun well ... there is an aesthetic side: I prefer that the bottom of the tank is light in color: sand seen through plastic

some black polyethylene are solid and durable too, but alas the one sold by us is made for heaps of packaging that only last one year, so palsatique recycled of dubious quality

for a covered tank, so away from light, black may be enough

I also used nylon tarpaulin coated with pvc, but rather for swimming pools, and it is bad for water tanks: this PVC is full of phthalate or other pork that makes the water non-potable

see also how the tank should be used: the polyethylene film is fragile: the tank must be used with a pump, not by drawing with buckets

if the tank receives too much dirt and must be cleaned often the polyethylene will be pierced too quickly
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 01/11/13, 18:42

Flat sheet metal, as recommended Chatelot, is well suited for this purpose; it is easy to bend to a large radius as long as the thickness is small enough, it then offers a self-stable shape.
It is certainly easy to find, but not from the same suppliers: corrugated sheet = material dealers, flat sheet = wholesale hardware.
Care must be taken to secure the vertical overlap edges to counterbalance the water pressure (riveting, bolting, possibly belting, etc.).
Also take care to remove all the roughness related to cutting or fixing the sheets, to preserve the waterproofing membrane.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/11/13, 19:07

I have 2 cisterns of 5m and 3m in sheet metal 0,8mm thick: it stands on its own without any reinforcement, except a circle at the top

the 5m in diameter serves as a swimming pool: the strapping was made of wood: several thicknesses of plank tightened by screws to give the rigidity of solid wood ... the tarpaulin of the truck coated with pvc folded over the wooden reinforcement

alas since 25 years that it is installed the tarpaulin ended up being damaged, so let the wood get wet, and rot ... I just dismantled the wood to make firewood ... the submerged part of the tarpaulin is still as solid, so this pool is always full, friends you will have to lower the level a little to weld a new tarpaulin in the upper part and put it back into service

now it has no more reinforcement: it can stand on its own but you can't lean on the edge to get into it

the other has the edge reinforced by a 30mm diameter galvanized steel tube bent and fixed to the sheet by pop rivets ... a strip of truck tarpaulin folded over to protect the polyetylene film from the edge of the sheet and pop rivets

the same goes for the assembly screws between the sheets: double-sided tape and a strip of truck tarpaulin to protect the plastic that seals

I must say that I was lucky to find a huge roll of sheet metal 0,8mm thick 1,25m wide and a few hundred meters long at a metal merchant: I can therefore make a tank with a single piece of sheet metal and just a row of screws

with the sheet metal plates of 1m x 2m found in hardware stores it's a hassle given the number of screws it takes

without being able to buy the sheet which goes well it is better to make out of stone and cement, and with sikalatex in the cement one can even make enough waterproof to do without plastic film
0 x
swallowtail
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by swallowtail » 01/11/13, 22:40

hello 971

you have not specified for what use you wish to make this reserve of 10m3.

Personally, I have had a 10m3 flexible PVC tank reserve for 4 years and I am completely satisfied. It is currently a very good volume / price ratio (€ 650 including tax).

I use it for my DHW and drinking water.

Not quite agree with Chatelot on this point.

1 ° - there are food PVC (stamfood) but more expensive bcp (2500 € / 10m3)
2 ° - phatalates and others are the plasticizing agents for PVC, these are molecules of high molar mass, and not very polar, they therefore have the advantage of being very easilydsorbed with activated carbon;
3 ° - as for CVMs (chloro-vinyl-momomer), the specific release rate of food PVC fabrics is low, and for the others, the released CVMs can easily be eliminated by blowing air into the flexible reserve (pump aquarium 2m3 / h -3W + diffuser), because CVMs are extremely volatile, and at the same time it eliminates the H2S produced by certain anaerobic bacteria .....

this is the solution I adopted

.Moreover, if your reserve is for a non-potable use, I think that it is the most expensive solution.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/11/13, 23:04

of course there is food grade pvc for making tanks, but considering the price it costs more than a masonry tank

I was only highlighting the problem of pvc truck covers

the truck tarpaulin is good for swimming pools because given the piggy style that we put in trichloroisocyanuric acid, we are no longer with the PVC plasticizer
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "