Camless motor

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Camless motor

by SixK » 19/09/05, 11:23

Small technological innovation which unfortunately risks arriving very late, the Camless engine (without camshaft to control the valves):
- http://www.forum-peugeot.com/soupape-el ... tique.html

Depending on the engine, the Camless motor would reduce consumption by 10 to 15%. (20% according to Valeo)

Other info on this type of engine:
http://www.mcarsweb.com/mecanique/camless.php

SixK
0 x
rpsantina
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rpsantina » 19/09/05, 13:05

Hello,

another invention which is a little dated but which will never reach maturity

six stroke : angry:
0 x
RPS (Dpt Tarn South 81)
i-Only those who do nothing are never wrong
ii-Anything is possible as long as a little time is spent there
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 19/09/05, 13:42

No, for me this technology should end up landing in our cars, since equipment like Valeo are getting started.
But the technology will come a little late, compared to our needs ...
It should be serialized now on all vehicles ...

The interest of the camless being to be able to develop much more easily the deactivation of cylinders on an engine.

Finally the car brands will have to start moving a bit, the Chinese are coming to the market and will break all prices;)
The big brands will only have a technological advance to hope to retain their market share :)

SixK
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.
Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/09/05, 13:51

The electromagnetic controls are already in service on F1 for a few years it seems to me.

For once the F1 will be useful for something ... This innovation I believe in it because it easily allows a better adaptation of the distribution diagram and this according to the regime, the load, or better engine behavior and a specific consumption ( and therefore global) probably improved.

But what about reliability? Everything being electronic, imagine an electromagnet (therefore a valve) which "locks" in the low position ... it's guaranteed engine breakage ... obviously the manufacturers have taken their precaution and have experience of F1 but all the same electronization (abusive?) does not only have advantages ... F1 engines run for 500 km (one race) ... rarely more (although I believe that the new regulations require an engine to make 2 races .. . would this be the explanation for schumacher's poor performance this season? :P )

Finally it is claimed that this distribution was less energy intensive ... but in view of the performance of car alternators (always at 60% max) I allow myself to doubt it.
0 x
wirbelwind262
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by wirbelwind262 » 19/09/05, 18:39

Hello !
it will be cute the joule effect it will heat even more and even more electronics in cars, there was not enough yet!
for F1, I do not know if it is still used the pneumatic valve controls ...
should especially think of something other than the internal combustion engine!
@ + and good luck!
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 20/09/05, 04:57

Hello,
Engineers have long tried to improve distribution
valves, we must remember the old engine side valves then, the Panhard Knight engine without sliding jacket valves,
the rotary head motor, then comes the camshafts at the head,
multi valves, and for fast rotation engines to avoid
the panic of the valves the desmodromic controls.
In F1 engines running at high speeds, the valves are electro-pneumatically controlled, only the power is taken into consideration, to the detriment of the economy and the life of the engines. (all the pushed engines have a very limited lifespan, the engines of planes of the first war had 30 hours of life, the Messerchmitt BF109 Daimler-Benz had a lifespan of 180 hours)
Regarding the reliability of camshaft systems, currently many manufacturers use camshaft at the head controlled by toothed belt, if there is oil slippage or aging of the belt which must be changed periodically, a rupture or a broken notch ocassione the broken of all the valves which strike the pistons.
But as far as we are concerned, making engines which at low speed and at high speed would require a cam with different apertures, this principle
is a solution, in addition it allows to isolate a certain number of cylinders on a multi-cylinder, to quickly change ROA, RFA, AOE, RFE, (terms used for the purity of the distribution.)
When the electrical consumption to operate these valves is negligible, for the yield that we get from it, it consumes months
than an electric rear window defrost or air conditioning.

Andre
0 x
Other

by Other » 20/09/05, 05:18

Hi,
This principle has been used on certain Cadillacs from GM for ten years and I have not heard any users complain about this system.
It should not be forgotten that the friction of the cam plates on the valve stems requires a certain energy to combat the valve springs.
Andre
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/09/05, 08:11

Andre wrote:When the electrical consumption to operate these valves is negligible, for the yield that we get from it, it consumes months
than an electric rear window defrost or air conditioning.

Andre

Yes, it is obviously necessary to compare the benefit of the technology in consumption compared to its own overconsumption ... Apparently you know the system more than me (not hard I know almost nothing about it) and do you have an idea of ​​the power (or rather energy) necessary to make 1 cycle opening / closing valve?
0 x
MichelM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by MichelM » 20/09/05, 08:58

It seems to me that the distribution of F1, more precisely the recall of the valves is always pneumatic instead of having mechanical springs to reach the very high revs (more than 15 rpm) and the maximum power. I really don't see an electromagnetic system following these rates. It is rather made for calmer diets. It is true that after the mechanical variable distribution systems (BMW, Mercedes, etc) or the cams with 000D profile (Fiat proto it seems to me) the Camless system is ideal but the manufacturers seem to hesitate because of the cost certainly , reliability (me, it scares me: salad of valves and pistons in perspective) and space also perhaps. I read a few years ago that BMW was working there and running prototypes but I didn't think there were Camless systems already used at GM !?
The engines will become so complex that the electric motor seems to me much more economical, simple and reliable, remains to develop the batteries, eternal problem ...
Michel
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 20/09/05, 10:14

For me, on the contrary, the engines will become much simpler in terms of design, if they synchronize all of this on the injection.
No more bothering to calibrate the distribution, more camshaft, everyone can change their cylinder head gasket without problem;)

In addition we can tune his motor at leisure;) It will just reprogram the valve lift to change the characteristics (economic or sport) of the engine.

Finally all this is in the case where the manufacturer will go towards simplicity;) because it is of course possible to complicate life with such a system ...

SixK
0 x
Optimists invented airplanes, parachutes pessimistic. George Bernard Shaw.

Thought personal, I understand better why the big bosses invented the golden parachute.