Ecological impact of an old vehicle

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
phoenix
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Ecological impact of an old vehicle

by phoenix » 02/04/09, 10:27

Hello

The current discourse is that it is better to buy a newer car with figures like: a car pollutes 1980 as recent 20 or 20% of older cars are responsible 80% of the pollution.

But concretely, does anyone have figures on the different pollutant emissions (not just the fashionable CO2) of cars of different generations.

But that is pollution in the manufacture of a new car and scrap the old?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/04/09, 10:39

At manufacturing level, it is estimated that it is 30 000 km of energy approximately ...

Someone on the forums had estimated at around 180km the "break-even" point of changing a vehicle for a new one.

I remember if it was on or CO2 on the financial side by cons. Do a search you should find: https://www.econologie.com/forums/search.php

The people who claim that changing cars (which still drives decently and passes the MOT) is a green act and that it is "good to do it" are just vast idiots ...

The scrappage scheme is an anti ecological approach ... but good for the economy. The crisis that the auto manufacturer is currently experiencing sustained in 2 sense ... So much for their mouths had to stop and think before seeking to make disposables bagnoles ...
0 x
phoenix
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by phoenix » 02/04/09, 12:02

I also find that the current support policy for the auto sector is problematic in two respects.

The eco-bonus based solely on CO2: I guess politicians are advised by scientists who know what pollution is

But I wonder if it was not especially thought to favor diesel engines, a specialty of French manufacturers.

The scrappage scheme: It is good to reduce the number of cars in circulation watches (and therefore the market opportunity) Why bother to sell 205 800 € in good condition at a smicard / unemployed while if i want a new car towards the case, it's easier and more profitable.

I fear that it will become more complicated for the popular classes to equip vehicles to less than 1000 €
0 x
Chartrousin
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Chartrousin » 02/04/09, 15:50

If we wanted to calculate that precisely, it would be very complex ...
The problem is the same for all the changes in equipment: fridge consuming 500kWh / year works nevertheless it must be replaced with a refrigerator requiring about 900kWh gray energy but consuming only 250 kWh / year?

I wonder if the real problem is not mainly the recycling and recovery. The more recovery and recycling, more gray starting energy is recovered and the change becomes interesting environmentally, because in the end the energy drawn from the environment is used by the longer man.

“If” the car was completely recycled, the impact of the change would be immediately positive, right? Or I got tangled up in my "calculations" ...

Obviously it's a little unrealistic for the moment, we're just starting to reject the oils and carcasses directly into the environment, so from there to recycle all the components ...

PS: calculating the embodied energy is handled with care, as any calculation trying to summarize environmental impact in numbers ... Some manage to demonstrate and a 4x4 is greener than a small car! :
http://www.4x4edouin.com/
0 x
"It is of no use to man to gain the Moon if he happens to lose the Earth."
[Mauriac]
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/04/09, 22:22

Oh ! Oh ! Oh !

Let us not forget either that our scholarships are not fed to infinity!
When you buy a new car, it is expensive and you have to finance it (so + 60 to 100%), often, and you are bound for 4-5 years. It is therefore imperative to insure the vehicle "all risks", including an additional cost of 500 to 1000 euros per year.
It's been years that I ride in old crates, RC compulsory insured, you imagine that I save?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Chartrousin
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Chartrousin » 02/04/09, 22:50

Oh, I was not aiming to encourage all cars over 5 years ago, far from it! When I spoke of recycling, the latter still having an economic and ecological cost despite everything, it is obvious that it must intervene at the end of life. I was just saying that we should not push the old cars too far, because that ultimately has a significant environmental cost. Moreover, for me, there is no particular contradiction between economy and ecology, in my opinion, at the moment when the car really pollutes a lot and that it has to be changed, it is also the moment when it starts to cost more expensive to repair than a credit of a newer car (I paid the price and the calculation recently ... after a while, the relentlessness is no longer valid for the environment nor for the wallet! My new car, credit included, costs me less than the old one, and does not leave any big dirty tasks of oil in every place where I park ...).

As Christophe says, as long as she rolls well and she passes the CT, as much keep it. In the end, all this is just common sense, is not it?
0 x
"It is of no use to man to gain the Moon if he happens to lose the Earth."

[Mauriac]
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 03/04/09, 08:50

My 19ans equipped with a AVEC does not really pollute much. The CT guy was very surprised! She is waiting patiently for an electric car powered by my hydraulic turbine.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/04/09, 09:02

Chartrousin wrote:
Obviously it's a little unrealistic for the moment, we're just starting to reject the oils and carcasses directly into the environment, so from there to recycle all the components ...

And the metal !!! This is why before the crisis, a car "carcass" was bought for 200 € per tonne (despite the cost of reprocessing) ...

1 ton of scrap recovered in France, against x tonnes of iron ore imported from I know not where ???

It is obviously impossible to estimate that in the case of a car. But your example of the fridge speaks volumes. There is indeed a time when it is better to "switch" to a cleaner technology rather than prolong the use of a polluting product ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 03/04/09, 21:50

Personal experience, the ecological impact of old vehicles varies enormously with brands and their reliability. I had a car that was a real ruin at 90000 km after experiencing a multitude of breakdowns and consumed a multitude of spare parts, which pissed oil, LDR, brake fluid and even lava fluid -glaces, and another that 300000 km is in very good condition with a virgin CT, has never experienced the slightest leak, only a few wear parts have been changed ex: AV pads all 150000 km.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/04/09, 21:55

Chartrousin wrote:Some manage to demonstrate that an 4x4 is more eco-friendly than a small car!

Some also come to believe that it was in September 11 Saudis ... : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"