Reheating the air

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Tiboshadow06
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Reheating the air

by Tiboshadow06 » 29/01/07, 17:34

Hello everyone !

Here, I thought of one thing, on a gasoline engine, would not combustion be better if the fuel was warmed up, I heard that for gasoline the ideal temperature would be 40 ° C, c is correct? but how can we go about heating the gasoline and maintaining the same temperature? and could the warming of the air give consumption results? if so how can we heat it? thank you in advance
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Air heating

by Targol » 29/01/07, 17:43

Tiboshadow06 wrote:Hello everyone !

Here, I thought of one thing, on a gasoline engine, would not combustion be better if the fuel was warmed up, I heard that for gasoline the ideal temperature would be 40 ° C, c is correct? but how can we go about heating the gasoline and maintaining the same temperature? and could the warming of the air give consumption results? if so how can we heat it? thank you in advance

I do not know if it still exists on recent cars, but on my old R12, there were 2 possible air inlets to the air filter which we chose using a manual valve:
  • one was going to take the air at the grille (cold air)
  • the other would take it from the exhaust manifold (hot air - at least once the engine warmed up)

These 2 positions were more presented as a summer / winter choice but hey, I never did the test to put in the winter position during the summer ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/01/07, 17:45

There is not (or rather more) much to gain above and the engines are already optimized at this level (see precision of Targol ...)
0 x
Tiboshadow06
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Tiboshadow06 » 29/01/07, 17:51

And on a vulgar 2T engine (50cc) do you think we can do something about it, my goal is to improve combustion on this kind of engine which are real polluting machines, is there not a material that can be lined against the walls in the air box?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 29/01/07, 17:56

For the "winter" air inlet of the R12, a thin sheet had been applied to approximately 1cm from the surface of the manifold. This sheet was pierced with a hole of about 5 cm on which was fixed an air hose at the inlet of the filter.
You can perhaps use the same principle: a thin sheet wrapped around your exhaust a few mm from the surface of it and the air intake of the engine which will seek the air under this sheet.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 29/01/07, 19:07

Hello,
The air and fuel heating is only valid on old vehicles with carburetor or single-point injection,
but on the multipoint injection smoteur with Lamba probe and temperature probe on the air inlet + Air mass flow, it is useless the correction is done whatever the air inlet temperature,
As for fuel, its path under the hood keeps it around 30c even in winter.
let's say that warming the fuel when it's -25 has a slight advantage, but -10 little difference.
With a carburetor swallowing cold air has the consequence of depleting the mixture and with hot air enriching the mixture.
normally the builder heats the mixture in the intake manifold that does not change the ratio if too much heats it decreases the filling and maximum power loss (like placing a stop on the pappillon ..)
On a carburetor or a single point, there is no mass air flow but a reheating system which always maintains the intake air at around 25c to 28c. It is advantageous after a friod start-up. economy) on short trips and especially better slowed down when cold.
On GMs it is a sheet metal envelope around the exhaust with a flexible conduit a thermostatic valve controls the temperature in the air filter.
This principle has disappeared since the early 90s.

Andre
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/01/07, 09:22

Hi André,

I fear that you have not read everything correctly:

Tiboshadow06 wrote:And on a vulgar 2T engine (50cc) do you think we can do something about it

It is on a 2 stroke moped engine that Tiboshadow06 would like to make its modification.
0 x
Other

by Other » 30/01/07, 22:48

Hi targol
I answered the message of the R12
For the second stage, the poor yield is not reheating and stirring, all the mixture passes through the crankcase and is sufficiently stirred, even too much.
there is loss during the transfer of exhaust and transfer of fuel mixture which is laminated in the lights,
a short trigger and bad filling, a delay in the admission in the crankcase, (I always speak about the simple engine with open lights by position of the piston, not of 160hp of Shidoos with rotary valves which consumes as much as an airplane) but rides snowmobiles at 200kmh.
The biggest improvement comes from tuning admissions and exhausts (tuns) in Skidou amateur language.

Besides the simplicity and its low weight, these engines are not very economical, apart from some rare direct injection engine.

Andre
0 x
bolt
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by bolt » 30/01/07, 23:13

some thoughts on fuel vaporization (injection before or after entering the cylinder) and the influence of T ° and filling:
http://www.educauto.org/Documents/Infotech/vapocarb.pdf

other interesting pdf on the site:
http://www.educauto.org/InfoTech/infotech.php, Including:
http://www.educauto.org/Documents/Infotech/HCCI_2.pdf
it is marked there in particular: speaking of water injection:
Although HCCI often requires warming the air, there may be situations
or the need is rather a cooling; for highly industrial motors
supercharged for example. If the RAS is insufficient, a known solution is
water injection at intake which allows easy regulation of this
cooling.
The vaporized water will also have a positive effect on reducing NOx.

and to understand "NOx":
http://www.educauto.org/Documents/Infotech/ReductionDesNox.pdf

bolt
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 31/01/07, 00:37

This Educauto site is really good, to find clear explanations!
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."