Catalysts for electrolysis?

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Catalysts for electrolysis?

by abyssin3 » 19/04/06, 14:00

There are different compounds to lower the resistance of water (Ex: soda), or facilitate the release of hydrogen.

Thank you for posting them here :P
--------------------------------------------------------------------
copy of post "improved electrolysis"
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard that some would use sodium borohydride to generate or store hydrogen. Has anyone tried on electrolysis.

http://www.reptox.csst.qc.ca/produit.as ... tification

Here it would not be like soda to reduce the resistance of the electrolyte, but it would be a chemical catalyst for the release of hydrogen. Some rumors even that JM would use it in his usujet-reactor ...
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 19/04/06, 21:42

It is not a catalyst. By definition, a catalyst accelerates or facilitates a chemical reaction and is intact at the end of the reaction.

In fact this corresponds to a reagent because it is transformed by giving hydrogen.

It is comparable to metallic sodium which in the presence of water releases hydrogen, heat and forms sodium oxide.

This reagent could be a way to store hydrogen and to get hydrogen, or it is heated to more than 400 ° C, or put water on it.

Finally, for electrolysis, if it is put in water it will react and it will produce hydrogen that will not be due to electrolysis but the reaction of H4BNa with water ....
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 20/04/06, 18:47

Yes, but I meant hydrogen release catalyst: in water permanently, NaBH4 produces hydrogen, reassociates with water (+ affinity?) To give back hydrogen, etc.

On the other hand, it seems to me that there are two compounds including ruthenium that actually catalyze this reaction of NaBH4 with water. But it requires not to put them in contact when we want to stop the system.

In the case where NaBH4 alone would be present, it could be assumed that a slight current in the water could facilitate the reaction, (energy input?), Hence the interest in association with the electrolysis.
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 22/04/06, 00:18

former oceanic wrote:It is not a catalyst. By definition, a catalyst accelerates or facilitates a chemical reaction and is intact at the end of the reaction.

In fact this corresponds to a reagent because it is transformed by giving hydrogen.

It is necessary to distinguish quite clearly the phenomena of catalysis homogeneous of those of catalysis heterogeneous. In the first case, the catalyst is a body dissolved in the reacting phase, while in the second, the catalyst forms a distinct phase, generally solid, and the reaction takes place at the contact surface.
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 22/04/06, 10:04

I think abyssin3 wants to talk about the "products" that are added to the water to make it a more conductive electrolyte.

In basic (alkaline) medium:
- KOH: potassium hydroxide
- K2C03: potassium carbonate

In acidic medium:
- HCl: hydrochloric acid

0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 22/04/06, 14:27

hello to all, hello misterloxo

Do you know the optimum percentage and what is the best, basic or acidic?
@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 22/04/06, 14:59

Hello everyone!
A little recap because it's not necessarily obvious:

-Sodium crystals sold per kg, would be "sodium carbonate" (or soda) (Na2CO3), called "soda" .. (originally made with plant ash)
- "sodium hydroxide" (NaOH), called "caustic soda", and by abuse of language "soda".
- "Potassium hydroxide" (KOH), called "caustic potash".
"Sodium bicarbonate" (so-called soda) is sodium hydrogenate (NaHCo3), used initially by Naudin
-The "potassium carbonate", (K2CO3). It's Naudin's electrolyte.
+++++++++++++++++
The "Destop" sink drainer is NaOH. But beware, it is not pure, and not reported on the label according to a chemical study; there is ammonia. The last Destop is now sold with bleach.
In supermarkets, the ordinary liter of "household unblocker" (1,10 €) contains 30,5% NaOH and 1,5% ammonia.
The liter of H2SO4 is at 37%. (€ 1,98)
The liter of HCL is minimum at 90%. (€ 1,28)
The liter of "sodium hydroxide solution" is 30,5% sodium hydroxide. (1,19 €). It's our NaOH.
Demineralized water. 0,50 € per liter / 1,55 € the 5 liters; and even 1,20 € to the iron section.

Must not ammonia in, nor salt of cooking, because release of toxic gases
: Arrow: The soda lye, in liter to 30,5%, in supermarket, is the easiest. As is, or diluted with demineralised water.
This is the naoh used by high school teachers. Ncl is using it now.
More original, a laundry of gray ash, recovered in a wood chimney, also works. Mix of several natural electrolytes that complement each other, for less efficiency, but not for a round. (ash to saturation in a bucket of water, a few days, so that the max dissolves.)
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 22/04/06, 16:07

you seem to be hearing gegyx.
I would like to get 2 metal promoters: AL2O3 & K20
under what form can I procure them?
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 22/04/06, 16:23

Hi Zac!

For KOH, the optimum mass concentration is 28%.

cf (thanks Rabbit): h2homesystem.pdf

What is qd same high I think even if it is not annoying because this product is not supposed to be consumed during the electrolysis.
In other words, it is dosed once for the amount (actually the weight) of water that will contain the system. Then, if the constant water level is maintained, the concentration will remain constant too.

Others say that it is necessary to measure the KOH to limit the current ie to put enough so that at most passes 10 A (or 15 as the case).
This is a simple way (no electronics) to limit power consumption.

For other electrolytes, I do not know the percentage leading to maximum conductivity. Nevertheless, the second method works just as well.

to + the free man :P
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 25/04/06, 18:17

I think abyssin3 wants to talk about the "products" that are added to the water to make it a more conductive electrolyte.

The effect is what I meant by that, which can make a more conductive electrolyte, or also that can promote the release of H2 (as NaBH4). In short everything in general that can facilitate the process.
0 x