Ecodriving, yes ... but watch out for premature wear!

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Christophe

Ecodriving, yes ... but watch out for premature wear!

by Christophe » 26/03/14, 11:32

As an economist, and as many here I presume, I practice theeco driving always.

Here is a topic that gives tips for practicing it: eat-less car / l Ecodriving-en-practice tips-that-walk-t10265.html

Only here, today I put a little question in this mode of driving because it can cause premature wear on different levels!

For my part I already see important 2 (to complete):

a) Premature engine fouling: EGR valve and particulate filter on diesel ...

b) premature wear of the brake discs: mine are HS to 105 000 km while I have NEVER yet changed pads, reason invoked by the garage, "You don't brake hard enough, the discs get clogged with brake pad residue and wear out faster"... kneaded and your steel is probably too soft, the piece of wear is the pads, not the discs ... In short a planned obsolescence of more ...

Edit photos of the most used disc here: eat-less-auto / Ecodriving-yes-but-care-to-wear-PREMATURE-t13162-40.html # p271788

There are certainly other points that you will complete ...

So there you have it, my tip of the day: practice eco-driving most of the time, but driving a little more "sporty" from time to time (say 10% of the time?) Can help extend the life of your vehicle. ..
Last edited by Christophe the 29 / 03 / 14, 23: 03, 1 edited once.
1 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 26/03/14, 11:43

For the brake discs, I was also entitled to the remark at the technical control: "the brake discs are worn" ... at 50000 km and without ever having changed the pads : Shock:

In fact, they seem to rely on the surface condition of the disc (formerly it was on the remaining metal thickness), and when it does not serve enough ... it pricks itself of rust : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/14, 11:54

Yes rust or pieces of pads that "merge" with the disc ... 50 km so much worse than me ...

In short, this betrays a drop in the quality of the steel used (I saw rusty disks on new cars in concession!) Another foutage of commercial jaws more ...
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 26/03/14, 12:44

christophe hello
In short, this betrays a drop in the quality of the steel used (I saw rusty disks on new cars in concession!) Another foutage of commercial jaws more ...

It's inevitable! the discs are not stainless steel. Everything depends on the time between manufacture, outdoor storage and especially in the wet season, and its arrival in concession.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/14, 12:58

Certainly not stainless steel, but there are steels more or less sensitive to rust ... in this case it must be very resistant steels!

Anyway, rust or not is not really the debate: it is intolerable that discs wear out faster than platelets ... or so must explain myself mechanically why (I must be a little con ... )
0 x
Did67

Re: Ecodriving, yes ... but watch out for premature wear

by Did67 » 26/03/14, 13:44

Christophe wrote:
mine are HS at 105 000 km while I have NEVER changed platelets yet, reason invoked by the garage, ..

Are they HS ?????

I testify this, repeated twice:

- my wife goes to the garage for a brake (true - it was on my "'ancestors" going towards 350 km)

- 2 hours later, call from my wife: I pass you the mechanic

- "Hello sir, you have to change the tires, they are worn out, I don't have the right to let you go like that"

- as I checked before, they were close but had not reached the marks of wear

"So I tell him this: you have an obligation to inform me; you can ask me to sign a release; but if you keep my vehicle, it's a seizure; I beg you to fax me the text on which you rely to do it!

- and my wife left with the car.

This was repeated in another Auto Center whose name I would not mention.

[the legal reality is a little more complex; there is the possibility, for non payment of an invoice, to keep a vehicle!]

This is just to say that “forced selling” is a common practice in this industry! With false arguments.

This has also been "proven", on a hidden camera, in a "Special Envoy" type program.

I would also like to point out that in the case of changing the rims, it may be economically unreasonable to reassemble an "almost worn" tire (because fitting / balancing costs more than the pro rata of the price of the remaining rubber !!!). This is another thing. And I can understand. In the case I mention, they had just dismantled / reassembled the wheels.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/03/14, 13:49

Christophe wrote:
b) premature wear of the brake discs: ...

I doubt very much. I am a very small brakeman: I try never to brake [what I obviously can not do].

My disks, except after prolonged shutdown, are smooth. No traces of sticky wear debris that stick ... Never seen!

On the other hand, yes, after extended stop[a few days], on all my cars, the discs are pitted. On the one that moves very little, it even happens that the pads are "stuck". I have to force a bit on the first start!

I think - I have not done the test - that braking like a brute would only make it worse: by heating the discs almost red, it can only accelerate the oxidation!

No, it's probably anything, your story ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 26/03/14, 14:22

All this is nothing new,

On my Citroën Visa or 104 80 years, the brake drums Ar used faster than the trimmings, forcing the replacement of the drum before that of the trimmings.

The quality of the discs has become very variable and has dropped a lot on low-end models and then this decline has won the higher ranges ...
Of course, the professionals had the answer: "You drive too much in town, red lights ..."

The eco drive fouls a little more but this is reversible on non-supercharged petrol models. On diesel, it is a disaster, especially because of the EGR whose exhaust gases injected into the intake circuit come to condense on the walls and cause significant and irremediable fouling ...

Otherwise, ecodriving and driving at low speed is very economical, despite the many opponents who have spoken on the subject Limitation 70 km / h on the device

To illustrate this point, a record of consumption with a model running on gasoline:
Peugeot 308: record of consumption with 2,8 l / 100 km... At an average speed of 56.5kmh ...
Given the conditions of the record, the maximum speed never exceed 60kmh ...

The announcement of the speed reduction at 80kmh instead of 90 on the secondary network also goes in this direction.
For the electromobilist that I am, this is good news that would allow electric cars to be more autonomous just by respecting the new limitations that go in the direction of a quieter driving ...
But no doubt that the challenge will be organized and the government will remain the proposals ...
At the same time, this measure would reduce fuel consumption and the economic deficit ... as well as tax revenues on fuel ... It would also increase tax revenues on speeding ...
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 26/03/14, 15:44

hi Christophe

Abrasive silica or quartz deposits would be more consistent.
do you do everything on the ground?
pass the brake discs with a water jet.

Christophe wrote:As an economist, and as many here I presume, I practice theeco driving always.

Here is a topic that gives tips for practicing it: https://www.econologie.com/forums/l-ecocondu ... 10265.html

Only here, today I put a little question in this mode of driving because it can cause premature wear on different levels!

For my part I already see important 2 (to complete):

a) Premature engine fouling: EGR valve and particulate filter on diesel ...

b) premature wear of the brake discs: mine are HS to 105 000 km while I have NEVER yet changed pads, reason invoked by the garage, "You don't brake hard enough, the discs get clogged with brake pad residue and wear out faster"... kneaded and your steel is probably too soft, the piece of wear is the pads, not the discs ... In short a planned obsolescence of more ...

There are certainly other points that you will complete ...

So there you have it, my tip of the day: practice eco-driving most of the time, but driving a little more "sporty" from time to time (say 10% of the time?) Can help extend the life of your vehicle. ..
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/14, 16:13

Did67 wrote:I doubt very much. I am a very small brakeman: I try never to brake [what I obviously can not do].

(...)

No, it's probably anything, your story ...

Yes I feel good pigeon in history but the fact is that the discs are well and truly nazes:

a) it vibrates with the braking as if they were veiled whereas I never never rolled like a brute (which veils the discs ...) ...

b) they are well dug too ...

Look at Gaston who did only 50 000 km with his records ... there is no doubt: there is a mechanical scam ...

ps: as long as you're in the car, here's a little table corner calculation https://www.econologie.com/forums/auto-estim ... 13163.html (to refine)
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"