Cruise control on any car

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
muzo_31
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Cruise control on any car

by muzo_31 » 06/12/05, 11:06

I discovered yesterday in a gadget shop for auto there is a kit to install a cruise control on any model. Across the Atlantic, they call it the "cruise control" and I find it nice to have and especially what would be an effective tool to reduce slightly our highway conso ...

The kit seems composed of a kind of electronic box, some buttons and sensors, and a bailer which releases a bicycle brake cable for controlling the pump handle existing injection or a gas throttle control (diesel or next gasoline). The price a little elevé: 400EUR asked, 250EUR for single rooms.

Considering the price, I feel able to do the electronic controller that manages this function. Plus the interest to be able to customize the behavior.
Where I blocks is the actuator: the famous bailer that pulls the cable of accelerator in place of the foot. It takes a pretty hefty stuff, rather fast, controllable by electricity. : roll: ...

You have any ideas ? Did we perhaps nice to recover parts on very recent cars in the breaks?

It's been a while that the idea stuck in my head, and now it is commercially available, I think it is not so finally con ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/05, 11:16

Especially since I fear that the American kit does not fit on our cars.

Today everything is controlled electrically at the level of acceleration on the European which is not the case of all American (even new)

Otherwise I do not find this price very high ... but beware of the settings and reliability ...
Last edited by Christophe the 23 / 06 / 08, 12: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
Sdc77
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Sdc77 » 06/12/05, 11:24

Indeed it's not too expensive!
By cons for the fuel economy you iron!
On my Camaro it's standard, and as soon as there is a false flat, the cruise accelerates the engine to keep the speed chosen, conclusion it consumes more than keeping a trickle of gas on the pedal ...
By cons it is a real comfort when you make long distances on the highway.

ndc
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/12/05, 15:15

There has recently been controversy and questioning of the manufacturers, about the new speed regulators, mounted in series on the recent vehicles; the regulator would have got stuck, causing a blocked speed to the maximum; excuse for excessive speed, liability following an accident or justified claim following malfunctioning ...
Anyway, the builders, implicated, had to put the package for further studies, and cover themselves in case of problems ...
Whether an individual installs a device of its manufacture, or not approved, to regulate its vehicle speed, I do not hide the ramdam if it is responsible for an accident!
0 x
The Passing

by The Passing » 06/12/05, 16:09

For the history of speed regulators on the Renaults: it's just a big masquarade, ridiculous even. What makes me laugh, are the cases where people claim that they could not stop the car while she had a manual gearbox and a clutch pedal : Lol:

One might even wonder if most of these people had not been paid to harm the French brand ...

Otherwise, on most recent cars, the cruise control is already installed ... often, just change the commodo, activate the function in the calculator and presto! I did it on my ex. TT, it cost me around 100 € and a few hours of editing.

As Christophe said, recent cars often have an electronic throttle body, where the throttle is driven by a motor, itself controlled by the computer.
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 06/12/05, 19:32

Hello,
Most cars in America have this equipment since 90 years, it is sutout on autos automatic transmissions,
Rarely other textbooks ato manual transmission is an option here, and it costs more expensive to buy (I'm talking about North American cars)
The principle is almost always the same a pulse sensor on the transmission it goes into an electronic box and the mechanism on the accelerator works with the vacuum taken on the intake manifold, In general it works well on the GM
the function is quite precise without giving too many nods
On the Mercedes diesel 300 TD (old model) it is a whole mechanical system it is too accurate, it corrects too quickly this results in a constant oscillation of acceleration and deceleration, it becomes unpleasant on a road flat
but convenient on a big trip because the pedal is rather hard.
For short courses and winter driving, it is a gadget that does not serve much, On my Buick it is lacking and I did not even consider the problem to fix it ..

Andre
0 x
silenus
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Cruise Control on any car

by silenus » 07/12/05, 09:41

muzo_31 wrote:I discovered yesterday in a gadget shop for auto there is a kit to install a cruise control on any model. Across the Atlantic, they call it the "cruise control" and I find it nice to have and especially what would be an effective tool to reduce slightly our highway conso ...

The kit seems composed of a kind of electronic box, some buttons and sensors, and a bailer which releases a bicycle brake cable for controlling the pump handle existing injection or a gas throttle control (diesel or next gasoline). The price a little elevé: 400EUR asked, 250EUR for single rooms.

Considering the price, I feel able to do the electronic controller that manages this function. Plus the interest to be able to customize the behavior.
Where I blocks is the actuator: the famous bailer that pulls the cable of accelerator in place of the foot. It takes a pretty hefty stuff, rather fast, controllable by electricity. : roll: ...

You have any ideas ? Did we perhaps nice to recover parts on very recent cars in the breaks?

It's been a while that the idea stuck in my head, and now it is commercially available, I think it is not so finally con ...

it was part of one of the many projects we had done in class. A μcontroller that makes real time, qs lines of code and an amp to drive a motor and hop turn is play. (A cylinder seems complicated, an electric motor is more reactive.)
As for pb renault I'm sure that guys have tried to regulate at high speeds, 180-200 km / h, and there the μcontroleur confesses its limits in terms of the reaction time!
Well it's my opinion : Wink:
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 07/12/05, 14:50

I see not much compared with any reaction time of the microcontroller ...

A speed regulation on a car it's a slow process.
It was in the speed parameter which is desired reguler, and then if the car is over, the system should release the accelerator, and the car is below, we must accelerate. Any micro controller can perfectly manage this automatism, even if the speed is 200km / h ...

Above this, we can then add more or less intelligence.
Indeed, if one is 1km / h below the set point, it will not accelerate thoroughly, we must accelerate a bit.
If it is below the setpoint 10km / h, it can accelerate harder to reach more quickly the setpoint.

It's a project that I often wanted to do on my car, because I often do long journeys> 1000km, and that would allow my leg to rest! To relieve the right leg, I sometimes use the left ...

As actuator, the kit you talk using an electric bailer, this is actually a kind of actuator. This is exactly what is needed. Only one electric motor can not do the trick.
It takes a servo motor, such as those used in model making, but imperatively necessary that the motor gearing is a worm. Otherwise, the return of spring to the neutral throttle accelerator to permanently force the engine of the booster, or of premature wear.

A+
Cyril
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 07/12/05, 15:26

On hand-operated cars (accelerator and wheel-drive brakes for the disabled), there is a large engine that pulls on the throttle cable controlled by a position sensor of a circle on the steering wheel.

It is quite complicated, and quite brutal / sensitive (attention must be much more reactive than a regulator). I wonder why electronics (steering wheel control) can not directly control the electronics of injection and ignition, it would still be more direct, simpler and more reliable than a system relaying on the electronics rain an electric motor then a mechanical part (cable and linkage) and then electronic again (on the modern cars of course).
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 07/12/05, 16:04

On my vehicle, I can not drive the electronics directly.

Indeed, there is one more accelerator cable. This one allows to open the air butterfly. And on the throttle, there is a potentiometer that can inform the computer on the position of the accelerator pedal.
On this type of vehicle, it is therefore imperative a servo motor to be able to control the air valve.

On the other hand, I believe that now some vehicles do not have any accelerator cable, the pedal only playing on a potentiometer. This is the computer that drives the throttle by a servomotor.
In this case, it is indeed possible to generate everything electronically, it is enough "to replace the accelerator pedal.
0 x