Remember, it was just 66 years ago

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Remember, it was just 66 years ago

by coucou789456 » 06/06/10, 12:14

Hello

Remember, that was just 66 years ago, today.
it was a Tuesday morning, June 6, 1944 ...

the landing in Normandy!

would be: ( http://www.6juin1944.com/journee.html )

- From 0 to 1 hour: The scouts jump to mark the areas where the parachutists must land. To the east, the 6th British Airborne Division (General R.GALE). Mission: Protect the left flank of the landing and destroy the MERVILLE battery.
To the west, the 82nd (General M.RIDGWAY) and the 101st (General M.TAYLOR) American airborne divisions. Mission: Protect the right flank, cut the south of Cotentin, ensure the exits of UTAH BEACH and take SAINTE-MERE-EGLISE.

0 am: The first Titanic group, made up of three men, jumps from a Stirling over the Cotentin Peninsula and lands in a field 11 kilometers west of Saint Lô. Lieutenant Noël POOLE is thus the first man to soar over Normandy. A few minutes later, a second group commanded by Captain Harry 'Chicken' FOWLES landed in the same area. In order to simulate a large-scale attack, other Stirlings parachuted 8 dolls 'dummies' which, on landing, released rockets parachutes, flares and rifle and machine gun simulators. POOLE, FOWLES and their men had also installed amplifiers from which came the sounds of detonations, mortars and swearing of soldiers. Thirty minutes later calm had returned to the countryside and the men had disappeared in the orchards.
Similar operations took place in Yvetot and Harfleur, near Le Havre, around Saint Hilaire du Harcouët, Lessay, Villedieu les Poëles, near the forest of Cerisy, the forest of Ecouves and along the roads between Lisieux and Evreux.
The purpose of these Titanic operations was to force local formations of German anti-parachute troops to undertake fruitless searches while actual airborne troops established their beachhead.

0 a.m .: The first scouts of the 15st Airborne set off over Normandy, headed by Captain F. LILLYMAN, to mark out the DZs of their division. DZ "A" west of St Martin de Varreville, destined for the 101nd PIR. DZ "C" north of Hiesville, destined for 502 and 1 / 2th PIR and 506 / 3st PIR. DZ "D" east of Angoville au Plain, destined for 501 and 1 / 2st PIR and 501 / 3th PIR. LZ "E" north of Hiesville, intended for gliders of the "chicago" and "keokuck" missions to land at 506:04 and 00:21 respectively. The C-00s carrying the division must arrive 47 minutes after the landing of the first scouts.

jeff
Last edited by coucou789456 the 06 / 06 / 10, 15: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 06/06/10, 15:14

and yes, and my old friend, penultimate survivor of the navy
who did all the campaigns alongside free france, narvick, the USA, england, ect, disappeared last year
I pay him a heartfelt tribute, because to go through all these events, and to die because of an asshole who does not know how to drive, it is not fair!
and I think of all the others who were less lucky
0 x
every morning you look naked in a large ice after 3 minutes you will see that your home and your worst picture ......
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 18/06/10, 15:20

Hello

memory is short and very selective, today, the anniversary of theJune 18 call, not even a line, a word mentioning it ... and it's only been 70 years for the latter ... (of course, this is only a 100% French event)

in 20 or 30 years, young people will evoke this part of history as part of the prehistory, perhaps worse, of future deniers who will even deny that these facts really existed!

jeff
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/06/10, 15:33

? you mean what hello because it was the subject of a report in the news of FR2 today ...

Moreover, although I am quite interested in this period (we will say that I am 1/2 passionate), I find that we are doing a little too much in the media (all included including video games) for some years ... effect "ryan soldier"? May be...

The Wednesdays of History on Arte for example; 9 times out of 10 it's the 2nd world war and this for months ... Hey History is still not THAT the 2nd war ...

With all due respect to those who lived it ...
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 18/06/10, 15:45

re

Christophe wrote:The story is not THAT the 2nd war ...

a remark, even criticism is already a good thing, thank you.

it's true that it's not just the second that counts but I remember just 1 year ago, I questioned holidaymakers from Belgium (passing through Fitou), if the date of August 4 * (of recent history of course) reminded them of something ... they thought about and gave their language to the cat, yet they were not young people, but like what either they have a poor knowledge of their own history, especially that of Belgium! and that taken out of its memory context, remembering a particular event is not obvious.

jeff

* answer in a future message for those who have not found or searched badly on the internet
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/06/10, 16:09

Uh you would not confuse with September 4th? : Cheesy:
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 18/06/10, 16:18

re

le August 4 1914, the Germans invaded Belgium, a country having declared itself neutral, without there being a prior declaration of war.

Despite the country's neutrality, the Germans crossed the Belgian borders under the Schlieffen plan. The latter was developed following the alliance between France and Russia. The Germans thus hope to bypass the French “at risk” zones and avoid a frontal combat. The resistance of the army led by King Albert Ist will be particularly strong but will not prevent the occupation of a large part of the territory. The Treaty of Versailles will finally give the country the cantons of Eupen, Malmedy and Saint-Virth. Belgium will also obtain a mandate on Ruanda-Urundi. Finally, the conflict will put an end to its neutrality.

it marked the beginning of the hostilities of the First World War in Europe.

an unfortunate precedent which is reproduced for the second too.

jeff
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/06/10, 16:19

Ah, did you meet any Belgian veterans of the 1st? You are strong because they have all been dead for 1 moment ... : Cheesy: : Shock:

September 4, 44 is the liberation of Brussels
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 18/06/10, 16:33

re

still not, I am not in the "ghosts". when I say they weren't young, they were roughly my age.

jeff
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/06/10, 16:42

Ah phew here I am reassured!

Uh but how old are you exactly?
: Cheesy:
0 x

Go back to "The bistro: site life, leisure and relaxation, humor and conviviality and Classifieds"