Goodbye Superplan 2007 OVH: super reliability hardware!

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Christophe

Goodbye Superplan 2007 OVH: super reliability hardware!

by Christophe » 24/11/15, 18:18

That's how you know I just migrated the site a few days ago ...

Here is a last screenshot of the panel of the former dedicated server that hosted the site between June 2007 and November 2015 is 7,5 years !! It's huge ... and when I think about it it's a big part of my life actually!

We can say that the gear has been optimized and "profitable" (in the sense of wear). Most webmasters change server every 2 or 3 years ... for fear of breakdown or technical failure ... or to be "on top"

This is (still?) A vast consumerism crap more because a server is often largely underutilized. After that it's true that the last years I paid dearly (89 € HT / month) compared to the hardware (2 * Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz and 2 GB RAM) ... but it turned enough and it was essential!

Hey I wonder if this server was not the dean of OVH ... I will ask the question on their forum out of curiosity!

So if we count in hours we have roughly 7.5 * 8750 = 65625 h running continuously ! I have never had a breakdown (she may have been lucky?)

So I say hat to the builders of servers! No hard drive of my personal PCs has ever gone beyond the 5000h operating without starting to show weaknesses by SMART diagnostics whether it be under linux or windows ...

And on this server there was 2 RAID 1 ... so equivalent to 120 000 h flawless operation what ... respect what!

The last drive I bought, a backup 2To, did not go beyond the 100 h! Ashamed ... but I had bought with a great promo, what to even doubt if it was not done on purpose (predictable failure so we brade) ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 24/11/15, 19:09

yes, but you stayed on OVH?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/15, 19:14

No I found better elsewhere (there is not that the hardware that counts ...) why this question?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/11/15, 23:02

Are you sure this server has been running without interruption and without replacement?

I imagine that at OVH there are enough competing to copy a system and switch from one to the other with a minimum interuption passing unnoticed

that's the advantage of a big hoster compared to a home computer
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/15, 23:49

Yes almost certain because if it had been done I would have been informed (first automatically via hardware monitoring ...) and then there would necessarily have been a break for the same intervention as 1h ...

There were 2 80 Go hard drives ... quite hard to find right now. Well I imagine that OVH had stock but still.

Ditto for the motherboard: an ASUS 2006 ... I checked.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/15, 04:01

You know chatelot, a datacenter is a dirty white (finally almost) so no dust, constant temperature and optimal for the life of the components ... the absence of cut on / off (it seems to me that I I had to make a hard reset remote one or 2 times in 7 years and less than ten soft reset) and the quality of the power supply also play ...

At home the current can be 210V on some taken!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 25/11/15, 09:21

Christopher said:

why this question

Ben, I already hosted about fifteen sites by OVH, but as much to know if there is better or cheaper. You can answer me in mp if you do not want to advertise.

This fare story for 2 X 80 Gb reminds me of Belgacom's prices: as long as you do not move, you're sockets. However, in 2011, I put the market in their hands, especially to avoid the cancellation fee: I went to half the price
(Note: Belgacom is the Belgian equivalent of France Telecom)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/15, 11:11

Belgacom ... Proximus do you mean?
Yes they will not update their offer to automatically disadvantage them ... This is the case very often.

These are clearly thieves it is 2 3 times the French rates for a service rendered equivalent ...
They will be dead with the end of the roaming planned for 2017.

To go back to hosting I had enough with 80 go ... just optimize its server (rotation logs not example)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/15, 11:13

Otherwise of course it is better and cheaper, I found this comparator yesterday: http://www.top10hebergeurs.com/

OVH is not really rated!
0 x
Christophe68
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Christophe68 » 25/11/15, 12:15

OVH also offers virtual servers with "unlimited" traffic at affordable rates.
I do not know what it's worth, never tested, or what OVH means by "unlimited", a rather vague notion at home, which would mean in theory after little Robert "without limit".
0 x

Go back to "The bistro: site life, leisure and relaxation, humor and conviviality and Classifieds"