After the motor-wheel-the Shock Wheel

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

After the motor-wheel-the Shock Wheel

by Grelinette » 15/11/14, 16:04

A model :

and another :

Soon, with this combined system with motor-wheel motorized and will simply absorb any vehicle chassis!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/11/14, 18:22

It would be mechanically interesting to damp the maximum mass possible, so at the level of the rim; however the presence of the engine inside the wheel seems to present a practical difficulty for the combination of the two devices, in terms of available space (while the presence of the engine and its weight makes it more judicious ..).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Remundo

by Remundo » 15/11/14, 20:16

this is not the first time I see this idea.

Traditionally, depreciation and rolling functions are separated. This allows for a very rigid wheel with low rolling resistance, and a very robust spring-damper system.

Some try to combine the two functions in a sort of very deformable wheel ... not sure that such a wheel is highly resistant to long term. Cyclic fatigue of the material seems very important. And this will also generate rolling resistance.

Even Michelin wants to do a similar thing, called "the airless tire".

I think the tests are not fully successful ... longevity and handling are perhaps disappointing.

An article from others on the subject

Bridgestone it looked as
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 17/11/14, 11:23

In 2012, at the EVER show in Monaco, I had the opportunity to ride in the prototype produced by Michelin (based on an Opel Agila) with 4 "Active Wheels".

The handling was really exceptional.

The outstanding issues were energy consumption dampers, cost and reliability of the whole.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 17/11/14, 13:01

Ahmed wrote:It would be mechanically interesting to damp the maximum mass possible, so at the level of the rim; however the presence of the engine inside the wheel seems to present a practical difficulty for the combination of the two devices, in terms of available space (while the presence of the engine and its weight makes it more judicious ..).
On the contrary. :?
More wheel is heavy it induces more stress in terms of unsprung mass, ie masses need to maintain contact with the ground for the vehicle to take proper road.
Over the mass, the higher the damping will work to contain the rebounds of the wheel each roughness of the road.

But this work also depends on the relationship between the wheel (unsprung mass) and the rest of the vehicle (sprung mass).
If the wheel is too heavy compared to the vehicle, it will be the vehicle that will react (hop) by the simple reaction phenomenon (the one used to power planes, rockets ...).

Morality, more the wheel will be heavier, more the vehicle will be.

Currently, the best opportunities for airless wheels concern the military vehicles that can not afford to die ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 17/11/14, 17:57

Sorry if I misspoke!
On standard vehicles, the wheels are not suspended other than the tire; if it is possible to reconcile suspension and damping as close to the rim, the unsprung mass will be minimized ... what is important in view of the addition of the motor or other accessories.
So we agree.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 17/11/14, 19:34

In fact, outside of the wheel and the rocket, the rest (triangle, tie, strut, dampers, ...) are not fully reflected in unsprung masses ...

Thus, we can consider only the moving part of the damper which is connected to the wheel is an integral part of the unsprung mass ...

But you're right, a system such as active-wheel Michelin quoted above minimizes unsprung mass by reducing the size and weight of the triangles, the shock ... that could be replaced by the mass the electric motor ...
8)
0 x
Arnaud M
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Arnaud M » 28/11/14, 20:29

I believe that Ahmed meant that if one considers that the tread is fully amortized by the shock rubbers (besides this system existed before the first tire 1895 years), at that time only the weight of the tape bearing part of the unsprung masses ...

The wheel alone will not fully filter vibration, but vibration is less important unsprung weight behind have less criticality.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 29/11/14, 21:14

These are just vibrations the problem ...
We must avoid the vibrational frequency of rolling resonates with the frequency of the suspension which would destroy the wheel.
If on a plane, we can model the behavior of the wheel at all speeds of the range of use, it becomes more difficult in real conditions ... Indeed, the roads have natural frequencies due to the skill of the people cylindrent the coating (the rollers have vibratory masses to compact the asphalt) and if the work is poorly done, the road is corrugated iron ...
Taxiing on such coatings can then generate noisy and destructive interference frequencies.

I drove on the "real" corrugated iron ", in Africa. It's quite impressive the first time. Then you accelerate to avoid making the shock absorbers resonate and the car becomes comfortable, silent ... to float on the road ...
But before we get to look good, you feel that the car will fall apart ... and every downturn is an ordeal.
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 30/11/14, 06:58

Gaston wrote:In 2012, at the EVER show in Monaco, I had the opportunity to ride in the prototype produced by Michelin (based on an Opel Agila) with 4 "Active Wheels".

The handling was really exceptional.

The outstanding issues were energy consumption dampers, cost and reliability of the whole.

In doing, they produce energy,
These are linear generators as Telmar brake
0 x