anti wasps nest recipe green?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

anti wasps nest recipe green?

by Christophe » 29/06/10, 10:32

We have several wasp nests in the garden, and if it continues it will start to become "really painful" to eat outside ...

Does anyone know of an "green" method or recipe to hunt them? In particular, we have a nest under slates placed on the facade which cannot be accessed ... except to inject a product ... (no desire to dismantle the slates for that) ...

: Idea: :?:

photo of a nest of wasps:

Last edited by Christophe the 29 / 06 / 10, 18: 52, 1 edited once.
0 x
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Econosaurus » 29/06/10, 11:53

I have the same problem as you with wasps :(
My house is equipped with PVC shutters, one of which was strafed by hail: result, there are plenty of small holes on the outside (for two years because I did not notice these tiny holes).

The wasps are then happy to return through these holes to stay, make a nest, etc. etc. In addition, it is the roller shutter of the window of a child's room.

So for the moment, I have to plug the little holes, but the wasps are very smart and know how to dig so they come back quickly. There the sunny days come back and there are two or three who start to turn around the window so I'm a little worried.

How to exterminate them (sorry lol), or simply repel them without polluting or invest in expensive special aerosols? I am not at all envied that my little girl is stung.

PS: when finances allow me, I would change this store, but for now I have to deal with. And my facade is really exposed to bad weather and hail.
0 x
"It's not once you shit in bed that you squeeze your butt ..."
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Econosaurus » 29/06/10, 12:29

Here, while strolling a little on the Net I found this:

You are overgrown with wasps; and do not want to buy a toxic and expensive bomb?
So crush a few cloves in a saucer and place it on the table.
Wasps hate the smell.
Of course, it also works inside

http://www.lesradins.com/astuce.php?id_lien=13161

The person specifies that it has tested and that it works ... To see
I think I'll put shredded cloves in the defective flap and we'll see ...
0 x
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 29/06/10, 12:45

Hello,
The wasps, in summer, are attracted by the same things as us. If your terrace is facing south, which is often the case, you are where they will be. In the spring, they are too busy building nests to annoy you.

By cons in the summer, they seek to recover their strength and are in search of sugar (nectar, meat juice, resin, ...) for their offspring.
If you have a south-facing meal with meat, sweet drinks, all in a flowery setting, do not complain about their presence because you send them a beautiful invitation.
They can also invite you at home because in summer, they are hungry and bulimic.
Some plants repel them including forsythias, tomato leaves, eucalyptus, and certainly many others but these solutions are never a panacea.

Attracting them is the most effective technique. They are voracious because their summer meal is crucial.
If you have a compost (often far from home), offer them a mini-ecosystem around which will delight them because once sated, they will return to the nest without step on your table.

One method that has really proven itself is to ally with them rather than counter them because, in addition, they can be of great service to you. For example, they cause a population drop in small insects wrongly called "parasites" in the spring. The best anti-chip there is.
The best is to analyze the entire food chain from the wasps and replenish this ecosystem away from your terrace. They will have no other reason to approach you than to thank you. :D
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "
Malcolm X
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/10, 13:00

Ah interesting cloves I will test too!

fplm, our terrace (OUEST) is precisely the opposite of the garden of our compost (EST) ... the house is between the 2 ... Problem: the (nests of) wasps are rather WEST side because as you say = warmer ... so they necessarily go through the terrace ...

We have some forthisias ... but too small to have an effect I think.
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 29/06/10, 13:11

Wasps, near a house, are insects as dangerous as they are annoying, it is better to "liquidate" them and for that no need for special products: a simple spray with pyrethrins (molecule of natural origin) is sufficient if one spray directly on the nest + block access to prevent the product from diluting too quickly ... but you will have to start over several times when the insects that are outside the nest return ...
Otherwise, they catch other insects (including bees) to feed them to their larvae ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 29/06/10, 13:15

Under the slates, they are often wasps polistes.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polistes_dominula
To recognize them, they have long back legs
Unaggressive, just choose a cool moment, slip a rod under the slates to pick the nest often very small.
Long stem to be away from the nest
It's a bit risky but I did it a few times
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/10, 13:33

Oh it must be that phil!

Problem if I have to do the manipulation is in height ... so on a scale which increases the "risk" quite a bit ...

Will cogitate!

As long as we are there, I met a few days ago a hornet at the bottom of the garden which has entered a shed in which there are 3 nests of wasps, of which 1 probably of hornet? There are 2 nests about 5-6 cm in diameter and 1 from 2 to 3 cm ...

Is there a way to distinguish 2 nest types?
0 x
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Econosaurus » 29/06/10, 14:49

Christophe wrote:Is there a way to distinguish 2 nest types?

There is a lot of information from a Geek of Wasps and Hornets if it can help! Especially concerning Hornets: .... are not so bad that ca : Shock:

http://users.swing.be/entomologie/Guepes_page4.htm

Christophe, I think you can contact the gentleman of this site to ask him for information and to evaluate your situation.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/06/10, 16:05

I had some who started to make a nest in the stable in the boxing of a horse (empty in this season) not very annoying or dangerous but I still preferred to eliminate before it takes Too much extent.
In the evening after sunset I sprayed it with "Emouchine total" which is an insect repellent for horses (I only had that on hand and all I risked is that it does not work)
The next day morning they had all deserted the nest, I was able to unhook it and eliminate it.
No doubt that any insect repellent of the same kind has the same effect (it even exists based on natural assets)
0 x