anti wasps nest recipe green?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 30/06/10, 12:49

Hello,

Oh, don't panic! Wasp or bee stings are fatal only in case of [B [rare [/ B] allergy and from a certain dose of venom. In other cases, it's just a little painful warning.
These insects only bite when they feel threatened. The wasps are social and friendly but their instincts push them to risk their lives for the colony. However, the viability of the colony depends on abundant nutrition during the summer since the majority will die during the fall and the survivors will hibernate until the following spring. Everything is played out in summer for them, so the stakes are different.
Do not fight them especially. Likewise, if you feed and cherish your dog, he will love and protect you. Otherwise, if you also threaten him, he will fear you and maybe eat your throat! It is a universal rule.
That said, in practice, it is not always so simple but allying with nature has proven itself while the fight against it has always proven to be a failure for humans.
This is exactly the philosophy of permaculture.

I'm going to be a little long and I apologize in advance, but the complexity of an ecosystem cannot be summed up in 2 lines.
Christophe's wooden hut is the ideal place. Sunny, it is warm, the cellulose for the nest is on site and in abundance. Not to mention that it also constitutes a shelter for nests, far from predators.

However, intrusion into the area of ​​the young constitutes an aggression for vespids. As with all species for that matter.
In autumn, the whole colony dies except the laying hen (pseudo-queen) and the most resistant males. The survivors hibernate until spring, when the males rebuild the nests, fertilize the female, feed the larvae, ... In short, the cycle begins again.

In the case of Christophe, I would proceed as follows (if the topology of his property allows it):
1) Observe the comings and goings of the wasps. Namely, or do they get their food off their plate.
If it is the compost (there is a good chance), they will have to arrange a place near it or they can make their nests safely (it will be difficult to do better than the hut because they are intelligent ).
If their journeys are more complex, it is because the sources of nectar, sugar and meat are more sparse.
It is then necessary to observe on the various routes the places which constitute a source of food and to reconstitute these sources close to the compost. They will not waste energy unnecessarily (they are econologists at heart : Cheesy: ) to fetch further what they have near the nest.

2) Move or replant plants that have been observed to like nectar near the compost. Dead wood as a source of cellulose for nests and finally nest boxes or better, a pile of wood offering a quiet and warm shelter. In short, recreate an ideal living space for wasps at this location (preferably in the southeast).

3) Between the compost and the terrace, the ideal would be to have fruit trees of all kinds as well as vegetation conducive to the development of other species. In short, a barrier made up of their predators (chickadees, bee-eaters, millipedes, spiders, ...). The competition for fruit sugar will contain the demography of the wasps by offering the most adventurous to their predators (it will end up being known in the colony). Such is life.

4) Once the surroundings of the compost are ready to receive the next colony, at the end of winter, destroy the nests of the hut. Attention, the laying hen and 2 or 3 males sleep there. That said, at the end of winter, her reserves are depleted and she would rather shorten her hibernation in order to find a new place rather than defend the old one. It decreases the risk of stinging.

5) In season, plant lemongrass, forthysias, ...., anything that repels prey (mosquitoes and others) and attracts predators (some nest boxes can help), near the hut and the terrace.

6) Observe the behavior of the wasps in the following spring / summer in order to judge if the invitation has been received and make any changes in the following seasons.

To conclude, nothing is certain with mother nature but life follows an implacable logic that each living species tries to follow in its own way, it must be observed and respected. Many of us (friends) were pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of this symbiosis. If your wasps are already sated when they invite themselves to your table, they are much less aggressive and seem more to greet you than to rob you. I am not laughing, I have experienced it and the change in behavior is obvious. I became friends with them and vice versa.

Here, I hope that this will help Christophe to retaliate in peace.
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "
Malcolm X
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 30/06/10, 12:58

FPLM wrote:Hello,

Oh, don't panic! Wasp or bee stings are fatal only in case of [B [rare [/ B] allergy and from a certain dose of venom. In other cases, it's just a little painful warning.

go tell that to one of my neighbors whose kid (not allergic) died suffocated after being bitten in the throat by one of these critters that he swallowed inadvertently while drinking a sweet drink: these insects are potentially dangerous and have nothing to do near homes ... in case of allergy, a single bite can be enough to cause death.
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 30/06/10, 13:49

+1 fplm!

I agree 100% with your approach!

Oiseautempete wrote: these insects are potentially dangerous and have nothing to do near homes ...

In the same vein, I suggest removing all these "potentially dangerous" things: cars, dogs, young people, etc ... from the proximity of homes.

: Lol:
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 30/06/10, 16:30

highflyaddict wrote:+1 fplm!

Oiseautempete wrote: these insects are potentially dangerous and have nothing to do near homes ...

In the same vein, I suggest removing all these "potentially dangerous" things: cars, dogs, young people, etc ... from the proximity of homes.

: Lol:

I do not see the report ... I suppose that you will find the same excuses for the vipers: it is useful etc ...: in the Vosges one hardly finds any more because the peasants exterminated them because of their dangerousness , on the other hand they never did harm to the snakes which eat the same prey with the same efficiency ...
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

hunt wasps

by oli 80 » 30/06/10, 16:55

hello, in fact that the beekeepers do to calm the bees, they use smoke, it would be enough to tinker with a kind of smoker and the thorns of dried fir tree does not burn but burn and makes a lot of smoke, ideal

soapy water and it seems that they are suffocating, or else the classic trap cut a plastic bottle in half, put the top part upside down in the bottom part of the bottle, then fill with fruit juice obsolete for example it attracts them and gets trapped
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/06/10, 16:58

Wasp stings are not very bad, the only risk is for people with allergies, with risk of anaphylactic shock, which can lead to death (often by angioedema).

Wasps, Bees, Hornets, Vipers are not aggressive by nature!, are the people who often panic at their presence and make great gestures to chase them away, those who are analyzed as an assault!
Just keep calm, and do not make violent gestures.
You are 100 times more likely to be hit by a car than to be stung!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
FPLM
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by FPLM » 30/06/10, 16:58

oiseautempete wrote:
FPLM wrote:Hello,

go tell that to one of my neighbors whose kid (not allergic) died suffocated after being bitten in the throat by one of these critters that he swallowed inadvertently while drinking a sweet drink: these insects are potentially dangerous and have nothing to do near homes ... in case of allergy, a single bite can be enough to cause death.

I understand your agitation in the face of this tragedy and it is perfectly human. However, this type of accident remains very exceptional.
But it was the homes that came to them and not the other way around!
Why are you demonizing this beast? You have to see for yourself that your reaction is excessive and irrational. Regarding allergies, this is a rare case, know it.
There is a much higher risk of mortality for oilseeds (peanuts, ...). For those who are allergic to it, it's lightning. Do we shout at peanuts!

It’s serious to veil your face in this case. To ignore the entire causes in this tragedy is to expose yourself to the risk of it happening again. Worse, this will serve as an argument for their elimination in the strict sense. Do you know that with their cousins ​​the bees, you owe them their lives?
Keep in mind that a fall of less than 2m from an adult is enough to fracture the skull, resulting in death in the worst case. Whose fault is it? Gravity? The shoe merchant?
Keep your feet on the ground, hatred never soothes grief.

One thing is certain, abrupt nature and it will make you understand its intolerance. Killing wasps is as disastrous for the ecosystem as killing bees. The different families of this species all cooperate with plants! They are all pollinators. Never forget that because without these hard workers, no biodiversity, no life.
0 x
"If you are not careful, the newspapers will eventually make you hate the oppressed and the oppressors worship. "

Malcolm X
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 30/06/10, 17:13

Very sad, but there are ways to avoid suffocation, pharmacist, urgent doctor, antihistamine, and pipe in the throat to breathe, urgently, and to avoid making children drink these sweet junk food, sodas and fake juice, "junk food" that makes obese people !!.
By eating and swallowing crookedly, without a wasp, you can choke, and it is good to learn how to avoid and resolve !!
Same for cardiac arrest with no one around who does the breathing by pressing with force repeatedly on the sternum, while it is effective, if done immediately, before rescue.

We reduce the risk of accidents by teaching children and adults how to avoid and manage them!

Finally, two decades ago, having bought a house with a large nest of very large wasps in the unused chimney, which mobilized the firefighters each year with the former owners, (armada of wasps in the house), he just close the chimney outside and the other holes (ideal for thermal insulation holes), never to call the fire department again !!
Finally, the first year to neutralize the huge outside wasp nest, without jumpsuit or bites, just mount the bug spray at the end of a long stick 6 m long with string to press the trigger, thus avoiding the trigger to breathe the insecticide (the most harmful) and to be bitten !!
Result: hundreds of wasps in the house and not a bite or insecticide in the house !!
Note, do not disturb the wasps and at night with a light that deceives them, it is safer. !!
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 30/06/10, 19:33

Small recipe for not being bitten (bees, wasps, hornet etc ...)
When the creature arises, do not make big sudden gestures, but against it can blow very hard on it. She flies away without pricking and will play elsewhere. You will tell me that it is not convenient when it is in the back or on the back of the neck, but precisely when we do not see, we do not realize, we do not make sudden gestures and the beast re-takes off without stinging (except the swabs on a sweaty back Aiiiiiiie ...... !!!! :frown: : Mrgreen: )
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/06/10, 20:04

Sen-no-sen wrote:
You are 100 times more likely to be hit by a car than to be stung!

It would indeed be urgent to consider an eradication plan for the major part of the car fleet, moreover it would be without drawbacks, quite the contrary, for natural balance!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."