Amarante + 1 0 Monsanto

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 24/06/09, 16:36

Is there a cause and effect relationship?
In any case, Montsanto sees its profit fall by 14% and takes the opportunity to cut 900 jobs.

source: le monde.fr
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/12/12, 12:37

Another small article on the anti GMO virtues of Amaranth (which should not make everyone laugh ...)

http://talent.paperblog.fr/5661938/l-am ... -monsanto/

Amaranth Rotten Monsanto's GMO Life

This plant is turning Monsanto's sweet dreams into nightmares.

GMOs, for Monsanto, is the absolute answer to insect predation.

For environmentalists, and for many responsible citizens, GMOs are a threat to the environment.
But where all the activists in the world break their teeth against the mighty Loybby GMO, a little plant is resisting.
Amaranth is a plant well known to our ancestors, since the Incas considered it a sacred plant.
But for the GMO lobby, it is rather a "sacred" plant.
Each plant produces around 12.000 seeds per year, and the leaves contain vitamins A, C and mineral salts.
It is even richer in protein than soy, yet considered a champion in the matter.
Dietitians claim that the protein of amaranth is of higher quality than that of cow's milk.
They recommend using ground amaranth seeds, mixed with wheat, to make bread, which gives them a delicious nutty flavor.
But back to GMOs.
The scene of the "drama" took place in the USA, in Macon, Georgia.
A farmer noticed in 2004 that some amaranth shoots were resistant to Roundup, which he generously watered his soybean plants.
The fields affected by this pigweed included a seed which had received a Roundup resistance gene.
Since that date, the phenomenon has spread to other states: South Carolina, North Carolina, Arkansas, Tenesse and Missouri.
On July 25, 2005, the Guardian published an article by Paul Brown which revealed that modified genes had passed to natural plants, creating a seed resistant to herbicides.
What confirms the experts of the CEH (center for ecology and hydrology), and what contradicts the assertions of pro-GMOs who have always claimed that a hybridization between a genetically modified plant, and a natural plant was impossible.
For the British geneticist, Brian Johnson, who specializes in problems linked to agriculture: “it only takes one successful crossing on several million possibilities. As soon as it is created, the new plant has a huge selective advantage and it multiplies quickly. The powerful herbicide used here, based on glyphosphate and ammonium, exerted enormous pressure on the plants which further increased the speed of adaptation ”.
The only solution left to the farmers was to uproot the amaranth plants by hand.
Except that this plant takes root very deeply, making this solution almost impossible to achieve.
Suddenly, the farmers gave up this uprooting.
5000 hectares have so far been abandoned altogether, and another 50.000 hectares are threatened.
Since then, there are more and more of these American farmers who give up using GM plants, firstly because they cost more and more expensive, and the profitability is put in agriculture as elsewhere, and finally because the effectiveness of GMOs is questionable in the light of what is happening.
For Alan Rowland, producer and marketer of soybean seeds in Dudley, Missouri, no one is asking for more Monsanto seeds, to the point that GMO seeds have simply disappeared from his catalog.
However, this represented 80% of his catalog until recently.
He finds that farmers are now returning to traditional farming.
As Sylvie Simon says in an article to appear in the journal "votre santé".
Amaranth is a kind of boomerang returned by nature to Monsanto.
“It neutralizes the predator, and settles in places where it can feed humanity in the event of famine. It supports most climates, both dry regions and monsoon areas, and tropical highlands and has no problems with insects or disease, so will never need chemicals " .
Will plants succeed where all anti GMO activists in the world have so far failed?

Learn more about http://talent.paperblog.fr/5661938/l-am ... yesvcJ8.99
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/12/12, 16:17

1) You know my weak capacity to ignite me! So: a) before we eat amaranth, there is some margin (very little seed production - by weight I mean) ...

2) I confirm that it exists in the form of very useful "weeds". I have experienced it. I have a habit of not remaining inactive when I discuss with the peasants. Discussion in a millet field in Chad. "Mechanically", I pull out the "weeds" (amaranths, therefore) so as not to stand idly by. Angry gaze of the peasants. I'm asking the question. They explain to me that it is the major ingredient in the sauce with which they blend millet! Kind of wild spinach. First source of protein at the time of the "lean" (almost empty granaries) before the new harvest, the arrival of locusts, termite flights ...

This plant has a very exceptional ability to extract water from the soil. It still extracts it from "dry" soil, while all other plants, including millet, can no longer do it!

3) So if I understand correctly, we could cultivate this "mutant", disperse it by plane and Monsanto would be ruined ??? When will there be aerial "Robins des bois" ???? We are going to launch "ASF" (Amaranthes Sans Frontières) on econology ??? Quickly a generous donor. An idle pilot. Sleeping cuckoos ...

4) Is the recombination proven? Because in general, weeds (as we properly call "weeds") have the capacity to develop resistance. Thus chenopods are a real headache in the sugar beet fields. And the "headlong rush", with always new herbicide molecules, seems not far to have come to an end! Long rotations (no return of the same crop before 4 or 5 or even 6 years in the same field) is once again making headway in the minds of farmers ...
0 x

Back to "Garden: landscaping, plants, garden, ponds and pools"