How to make a still? Plans and advice

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 21/06/07, 15:26

kanosensei wrote:I was wondering something.

How can we measure the temperature when boiling at the cocote minute?

Because if we want to remove methanol, we must go up to 65 °
How to know that we are at 65 ° and how to know that we have passed the barrier of 78 ° ethanol.

Do you have a solution or something? Because it is necessary that the casserole is closed, but, how to introduce a thermometer inside?

Thank you

We have not asked metaphysical methanol / ethanol questions for the moment.
The pipe is connected to the pressure cooker as soon as the fire is put under it.
For now, no one is dead : Mrgreen:
In addition, although I agree on the toxicity of methanol, I would qualify this by the fact that some alcohol consumption contains a significant part (40% of the alcohol in Brandy is methanol, for example) .
In addition, this type of distillation is for the purpose of making floral waters and essential oils that are rarely ingested.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
kanosensei
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kanosensei » 21/06/07, 16:01

I wanted to talk about distilling alcohol to drink it.
indeed, I harvested cherries that I fermented and I would have liked to make a brandy cherry.

As for methanol, I read that it was enough to put the thermometer at the outlet of the steam pipe and measure the temperature of the steam.
Is this a good piece of information?

or else, I told myself that we had to throw the first centilitres (which are probably methanol since it is the product with the lowest boiling point).

What do you think?

please
0 x
A tof +
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by A tof + » 30/09/07, 10:50

Hello,
the thermometer should be placed in the boiling liquid, as the vapors may be hotter than the boiling liquid.
Normally at atmospheric pressure, if your mixture contains methanol, it should boil before the boiling point of 78 ° C ethanol. For example 70 °. From 80 ° to 100 ° we can say that you mainly distill ethanol.
Here, I hope I helped you.
0 x
kanosensei
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kanosensei » 30/09/07, 20:39

Thank you tips!

I'm going to school, so I'll keep you posted!
0 x
kanosensei
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kanosensei » 09/11/07, 20:29

so I distilled, I succeeded. It has the smell of alcohol, it has the taste.
I tried to keep the temperature at 78 ° to have only ethanol.

But that makes me dizzy. What I harvest is not crystal clear. It's cloudy and whitish.
It has the taste of fruit, but a very strong smell and a very curious color ...

How to fix the problem? Let rest? Filter?
Can you come plastic pipe? Yet it is food, I used it because I'm already making beer with it.

Thank you for your answers.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 12/11/07, 11:09

hello kanosensei, and congratulations for what you managed to do,

also it will tell you to share this experience, with plan, photo, recipe, use?

I just ferment but the boiler has everything mix anyhow, now I prefer to do it myself later ...

yes it is necessary to remove the beginning and the end of the production (head and tails) and to fill several small tanks "from the strongest to the weakest". there are alcoholmeters to measure the degree, 20 € I think ...

if not yes for the thermometer it must be placed in the evacuation of vapors! meem if there is a slight difference, it is well representative and that is what counts.
you work with a gas burner anyway?

for your mix trying to just let it rest, the decantation should do the rest ?!

I know that you should not go up too much in T ° C for quality, and change degrees VERY slowly, ditto ...

Have you ever boiled in water, to "rinse" everything?

by the way, it's good, what did you produce?

good continuation,
ah it's a shame we can not taste by internet! : Lol:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/11/07, 15:41

I am a student in chemistry and yes the thermometer is mandatory, you have to know that methanol has a high level of toxicity

stop saying stupidity with methanol: distillation distorts very bad methanol and ethanol: good fermentation should only ethanol: if there is methanol in the stuff to distil it's shit and you have to make some alcohol to burn

in the same way as with the alcohol-alcohol mixture, the alcohol does not come out pure until it reaches the 100 ° C of boiling water: it is mixed but with a high proportion of alcohol at the beginning and a high proportion of alcohol. water at the end

for the separation methanol ethanol it is worse because the boiling temperatures are close: if the product contained 10% methanol it would take ten successive distillation had to succeed in doing something drinkable

there are heaps of product much more volatile than methanol that come out at the beginning of the distillation that must be discarded (or keep for alcohol to burn) that is why it is necessary to boil gently otherwise it would come out good alcohol with what we throw

all that distilling can do by throwing well the beginning is to slightly reduce the methanol rate of a thing that has a little too much: to increase the rate of 0.4% to 0.2%

there is no need for 36 measuring instrument: nothing has the smell we feel that what comes out early is not good: it would feel better drip but it's a hit not finish the job safely
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 14/11/07, 10:10

thank you for clarification 8)
0 x
max216
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Hello everybody

by max216 » 03/06/08, 09:43

I arrive a little after the battle but I have a small question that one of you can answer.
Here I would like to know what is the length of copper to put in place to achieve the refrigerant because I have 2 m and a light plastic connector in contact with the air.
I ask you this question because the quality of the distillate depends on the speed of condensation.
Another trick, when I realized my experience was the coolant water was not hot or at least slightly above it. Would it be due to the fact that the water I was sending had a very big flow? (I siphoned a river! With a pipe of 15 but there was a robined that I half closed)
and finally the distillate obtained was not hot at all. Where does it come from? that my stove did not heat enough, that it was not hot enough when the exp was made, that my copper is too short, that the water of the refrigerant is too cold (river water 10 ° C)

merci,
I hope you would have understood
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 03/06/08, 10:43

Hello,
Ah! distillation, old memories ...

That your distillate is cold shows that your system is performing well, in fact your cold water intake exceeds "just necessary", it is better than the opposite.

Ideally, for a good separation during the distillation, it is to have a collon (vigreu) above the boiler, and the ideal position of the thermometer, it is just at the height of the exit of the gases towards the condenser.

@ + Hic! : Mrgreen:
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)