Bicycle lighting with energy recovery during braking

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/06, 09:30

gegyx wrote:Another point could be improved, it is the mediocre efficiency (20%) of these standard "dynamos". But it is also true that you have implemented a reliable system with standard parts accessible to all for a lower price.

Not necessarily if the energy obtained is enough ... And then if we improve the efficiency it will brake less well : Cheesy:
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/11/06, 09:35

Misterloxo wrote:Good job,
There certainly should be market opportunities.
blunder to the Chinese lol will copy everything if it takes on the market

Personal observation: 90 to 95% of cyclists ride at night without lighting and this will be less and less tolerated in my opinion, there will be repression so a system like mine certainly has a future if it is "Made" in China ", alas. But there may be a small niche for a premium product.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/06, 09:40

Leo Maximus wrote:90 to 95% of cyclists ride at night without lighting and it will be less and less tolerated in my opinion.

Bof ... the law which obliged this dates from 95 or 96 it seems to me, however as you say an overwhelming majority rolls without light ... Which proves well that the repression is not really existing ... personally I doubt that it changes...

In 10 years I have never been arrested / controlled ... and yet ... I have no lights and I have already crossed controls : Oops:
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/11/06, 10:57

gegyx wrote:Maximus leoIf you've been the designer and experimenter for over a year, you have the necessary perspective to say that your system is reliable. So it's a real progress.
On one of your links, it seemed to me that we were inspired by your idea, with subsidies ... What mattered to you was security, and that's all your credit.

It's been a while since I curse the builders. How can we not put in series on the bicycles, a fixed system of lighting, with leds, rechargeable and powerful, with the modern technology?
Instead, we have self-contained, battery-powered casings that fall out of fear and are often forgotten. This enrages me, because legislation in this area, for reliable and non-removable lighting, would provide greatly increased security. While in fact, with these nutty systems, bicycles run with absent or deficient lighting most of the time. When politicians talk mostly about safety, they should think about these basic things, which would preserve the future of many people, especially children ...
: Evil:
---
I did not understand your last schematic:
2 rectifier bridges by generator
The 12v lamp 6 w is the stop light?
The surge limiter only controls T1 which controls this lamp. Interest? Swing the overload in the stop light?
Why T2 and T3? While leds and series resistor, it works as well, and that would use a resistor + 2 transistors + 4 diodes in less?
----
For the red leds, put less, half flashing, would be more conspicuous, and more economical. No ?

Another point could be improved, it is the mediocre efficiency (20%) of these standard "dynamos". But it is also true that you have implemented a reliable system with standard parts accessible to all for a lower price.

I confirm that it is completely viable insofar as the lighting uses not too many LEDs (4 at the back and 8 at the front), it lights up a little better than a conventional system and it doesn 'is not necessary to recharge. The dynamos used are not adapted indeed but they are found everywhere and not expensive. Special dynamos are needed, capable of supplying greater current and integrated into the brake system.
For the electronic circuit, I have been criticized on several occasions for not having put an overcharge protection circuit for the batteries. So I installed one on the Ni-MH battery system, it comes from an old Li-Ion battery circuit where it is essential because there is a risk of destruction of the batteries in the event of overcharging. This control circuit is only active when the dynamos are in operation, the LM393 comparator compares a fraction of its supply voltage (almost identical to that of the batteries but it is not that of the batteries) with a reference obtained by a 1N4148 diode (this reference voltage is not perfect but sufficient). If the supply voltage exceeds a certain threshold (adjustable by the potentiometer) the output of the comparator switches and the Darlington transistor goes to saturated state and lights a 12 V lamp which absorbs the charging current and therefore protects the batteries. There are many other possibilities of protection circuits but this one works well and it does not use the energy of the batteries.
The transistors T2 and T3 and the 4 diodes are two constant current generators (well, pretty much!). The role of this circuit: allow almost constant lighting and protect the LEDs.
- The circuit fixes an operating current for the LEDs around 18 mA as long as the battery voltage is greater than 8 ~ 9 volts.
- In case of failure of the batteries, the dynamos will flow directly into the LEDs but the current will be limited and the LEDs will not suffer.
Without this circuit, the lighting varies with the voltage of the batteries and with the braking, it is not very sensitive certainly especially if the level of charge is high but there is another drawback: in case of failure of the batteries the dynamos then flow directly in the leds without any control, the voltage can rise and the diodes can be destroyed and these are the most expensive elements.
The system remains experimental but it has proven itself. There are other circuits in development: there is one that operates under pulses, the LEDs are powered by high but very short current pulses, the retinal persistence means that we obtain powerful lighting with ridiculous consumption. , a few tens of milliwatts. Another circuit under study, a circuit that uses only one battery. The problem with the batteries connected in series and the numerous successive recharges is that the difference between their voltages tends to increase, we have batteries at 1,15 V and others at 1,35 V. A solution is to use a single battery and a switching power supply (capable of working under 1 volt!) providing a constant voltage for the LEDs.
Fiare flashing red rear LEDs is not a problem and I have nothing against it but it is not legal in France.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/11/06, 11:09

Christophe wrote:
gegyx wrote:Another point could be improved, it is the mediocre efficiency (20%) of these standard "dynamos". But it is also true that you have implemented a reliable system with standard parts accessible to all for a lower price.

Not necessarily if the energy obtained is enough ... And then if we improve the efficiency it will brake less well : Cheesy:

An improvement in performance will necessarily increase the effect of dynamos on braking since the energy is taken from the kinetic energy of the cyclist so it will brake better. By installing a larger number of identical dynamos we would have more braking because we would take a larger percentage of energy.
I have carried out a certain number of measurements and calculations on the current system but the parameters are very numerous and the errors probably also but, in my opinion, I am below 1% which leaves a significant margin for progress.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 08/11/06, 11:27

Christophe wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote:90 to 95% of cyclists ride at night without lighting and it will be less and less tolerated in my opinion.

Bof ... the law which obliged this dates from 95 or 96 it seems to me, however as you say an overwhelming majority rolls without light ... Which proves well that the repression is not really existing ... personally I doubt that it changes...
In 10 years I have never been arrested / controlled ... and yet ... I have no lights and I have already crossed controls : Oops:

One evening last winter, around 21 p.m., I almost knocked over a cyclist on an unlit roundabout. I did not see him. The cyclist was a black man in black tracksuit with a black backpack and a black bike without any light, he also did not have orange reflectors on his wheels, it is however compulsory. luckily I saw the rims and the spokes shining in the light of my codes.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/06, 11:46

Leo Maximus wrote:The cyclist was a black man in black tracksuit with a black backpack and a black bicycle without any light.

Lol necessarily in this case it's a lot of black ... but I do not think that the color of his skin is much influenced ... the whites do not radiate in the dark ... : Cheesy:

By cons the probability that he receives a fine is higher ... by being black ... :|
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 08/11/06, 16:37

Christophe wrote:

I remember when I went to school by bicycle, on rainy days the "dynamo" did aquaplaning : Cheesy: so more light : Evil: , back then there were no battery headlights.

Since I caught up, led headlight, rechargeable batteries and even a stop light, when we drive in 2 it allows the second to react faster, and even the cars are sensitive to it :D .

Maximus Leo your system is great, but on my mid race the gap between the brake pads and the rim is less than a millimeter : Cry:
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 08/11/06, 17:38

I would say only one word: Bravo! : Shock:

I always admire people who can design and make such "jewelry"! : Wink:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Giul
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Giul » 09/11/06, 07:08

'Lut

It is very impressive: Bravissimo !!!

What are your current projects / marketing,
that would have an obvious success, when a sale : Mrgreen: in the econology shop?

in any case hat !!

^ @ +
0 x