Self-built wind turbine with electric bike engine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Self-built wind turbine with electric bike engine

by Pierre820 » 09/11/18, 18:05

Good morning all. I'm new to this forum but go regularly to find lots of interesting things! :P
I am currently on a wind turbine project using a bicycle wheel motor and built on the principle of the soupl'éole, a wind turbine. You will find everything by typing soupl'éole on your favorite search engine.

So here I am going to acquire two wheel motor in 36v but I do not yet know their power. At least 250w each. I want to make the regulators myself.
I have a battery bank and my 12v converter.
So I would need a regulator with an input voltage range around 36v and output voltage at 12v. Could you help me with the design of this regulator?
Thanks in advance to everyone who will participate in this discussion : Wink:
1 x
Christophe

Re: Self-built wind turbine with vae motor

by Christophe » 09/11/18, 18:38

Well Friday gift either: you have nothing to build.

You just need to take a regulator that has the function of regeneration by braking and simulate permanent braking!

The concern will be to limit the power in case of gusts or too strong wind ... history of not toast everything.

In your place I would take a regulator which has twice the engine power finally generator or at least + 50%, just to have the margin.

If you have pictures of the engines, the wind turbine and information plates it will help.

ps: why 2 motors instead of one bigger?
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Self-built wind turbine with electric bicycle motor

by Pierre820 » 09/11/18, 21:34

For the photos I don't have the engines yet I will receive them next week. For the wind turbine I will show you what I intend to do but I have not yet attacked the construction.
Two engines because that's what I found cheaper second hand. And I have the idea of ​​mounting them one behind the other like the counter-rotating propellers of certain helicopters. The soupl'éole site is a gold mine of information on the design of this wind turbine I invite you to take a look if you have the time
For the electric bike regulator I thought about it but often it combines a 36v battery with the 36v motor. And I need to get out of 12v.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 09/11/18, 22:08

An engine will not make a good generator. : Shock:
There are permanent magnet generators for wind turbines that will certainly be more efficient for the function : Wink:
0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 10/11/18, 13:38

Izentrop thank you but if I use bicycle engines it is because I work a lot with recovery and that even if the output is lower than a generator provided for this purpose the cost is also clearly.
And then if I wanted a ready-made solution I would not come to ask for help on a forum :?
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 10/11/18, 13:53

0 x
Pierre820
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Pierre820 » 10/11/18, 14:53

In Izentrop. I saw on another subject that you advised not to necessarily use a dc-dc regulator if the battery has a large capacity.
However to store my energy I use a leaded Fenwick electric cart battery. A 24v 375 Ah battery divided in two to have 12v and 750Ah.
So could I connect the 36v motors directly with non-return diode and system to shunt the wind turbine when the battery is charged?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/11/18, 16:36

Pierre820 wrote:In Izentrop. I saw on another subject that you advised not to necessarily use a dc-dc regulator if the battery has a large capacity.
However to store my energy I use a leaded Fenwick electric cart battery. A 24v 375 Ah battery divided in two to have 12v and 750Ah.
So could I connect the 36v motors directly with non-return diode and system to shunt the wind turbine when the battery is charged?
Charge at 24 V and use at 12 V?
Already the division into 2 is only possible if it is 2 batteries 12 V in series, otherwise it is necessary to use a DC-DC converter.

What are the characteristics of your generator engine? because it will generate less than half the power http://reso-nance.org/wiki/projets/velo_energie/accueil

For less than 50 € you will find a 100 W wind generator, suitable for slow speeds.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/18, 18:20

izentrop wrote:An engine will not make a good generator. : Shock:
There are permanent magnet generators for wind turbines that will certainly be more efficient for the function : Wink:

I believe that brushless motors with a rotating cage of the wheel motor type (three-phase) are perfectly reversible ...

Only downside: the lifetime in strong generative current because a VAE motor is not designed to operate fully 24/24 ... (which would be the case in wind power during heavy wind periods) ...
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 10/11/18, 19:32

there will be some air to cool it : Lol:
0 x