Problem stove GODIN Chamonix XXL

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
gerard27
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Problem stove GODIN Chamonix XXL

by gerard27 » 12/10/18, 14:21

Hello,

We acquired a GODIN Chamonix XXL stove installed by a professional in March 2017.
Despite the energy performance (12 KW - 500 m3) indicated, this stove does not even manage to heat the room in which it is located ((approximately 40M2) despite the dry wood
At full speed, you can even put your hand on the plate in the upper part while the hot air should in part be diffused by this plate
It is as if all the heat is dissipated directly by the conduits. After a letter to GODIN, they advise to send a technician to see the problem, cost of the travel at our expense of about 150 €.
I would like to know if other users have encountered the same problem, and possibly found a remedy. thank you in advance
0 x
Christophe

Re: GODIN stove problem

by Christophe » 12/10/18, 14:37

Welcome here!

a) Can you give us a photo when there is an outbreak (a video would be better if you have a youtube or other account)?

b) If the wood is dry, the new stove (without defect) and the stove draft settings well adjusted then I see only one possible problem: a chimney draft problem ...

c) The chimney is in what condition? When will it be picked up? What dimensions (approximately)? What does the notice say on this point?

d) When did this happen last winter? If it was ok a year ago, something has deteriorated since ... check the chimney so ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Problem stove GODIN Chamonix XXL

by Ahmed » 12/10/18, 18:29

In general, wood stoves have made great progress in terms of combustion quality, even if large differences remain between different materials, yet all covered by a rather bogus "green flame" label. The same is not true for the heat exchange capacity which is the other factor making up the calorific efficiency; this for many reasons: size, aesthetics, price and technical-commercial requirements (adaptation of the device to different locations). Commercially speaking, it is easier to "communicate" on the quality of the combustion because of the media hype on pollution, while the exchange capacity remains a technical parameter ignored by most users and does not, to my knowledge. , the subject of no standard.
In your case, either the design is crappy, contrary to the assertions of the catalog : Wink: , or an element, such as an internal deflector is 1- forgotten during installation, 2- improperly positioned or unhooked. Only an examination of the interior will be able to provide indications on this subject. You should not be hypnotized by the professional quality of the person who installed the device: in other areas, I have passed behind many of them to remedy sometimes important malfunctions, however caused by basic faults (ignorance, distraction or more probably I amfoutisme).
On many old inserts, the gases went out "full pot" directly into the chimney, which only gave a poor result, even if people were happy with the result (they were hot!), Since the efficiency and the capacity of toasting are two very different concepts and often unfortunately confused ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/10/18, 02:47

Our feedback, we had 2 Godins:

A colonial

Godin stove-Colonial --- --- 104-90-x-x-60-cm-heating-and-air-844096094_L.jpg
Godin-Colonial --- Stove --- 104-x-90-x-60-cm-Heating-and-air-conditioning-844096094_L.jpg (37.45 Kio) Viewed 21738 times

Then a Cantou

stove-godin-inglenook-1-680101-anthracite.jpg
poele-godin-cantou-1-680101-anthracite.jpg (31.36 Kio) Viewed 21738 times

I think yours is this one

Godin-Chamonix-xxl.jpg
godin-chamonix-xxl.jpg (18.13 Kio) Viewed 21738 times

The Colonial was very hot and had the advantage of having a tray on which you could heat dishes.
But he was consuming as much wood as possible.
And had no glass

The Cantou was very big but always badly heated.

Now we have an Ilam Flame Font much smaller than the Cantou but which Heats EXTREMELY WELL ... and that's nothing to say and especially MUCH BETTER than the Cantou

ADR_2676.JPG
ADR_2676.JPG (55.97 KIO) Accessed 21738 times

Conclusion: not frankly convinced by Godin

So if you can afford it ... maybe consider a resale of the Godin and the purchase of another more efficient stove?
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/10/18, 09:00

Your feedback, Nico239 confirms what I said above. Without knowing your current stove, it corresponds to current standards of what works well. Today, to achieve satisfactory combustion, it is necessary to reach high temperatures at the hearth, which requires various constraints during the design of this same hearth, which results in particular in a volume smaller than that which was observed previously. This results in the user being obliged to use only 33 cm logs; however, taking into account the result, each 33 log gives off as many calories as an 50 in the old systems, which represents a definite saving and, moreover, less contamination of the smoke exhaust ducts, due to reduction of unburnt items.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/10/18, 10:38

Really? Are Godin engineers so bad? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

I did not know...

But still expect a reaction from the author.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/10/18, 19:12

Christophe wrote:Really? Are Godin engineers so bad? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

I did not know...

But still expect a reaction from the author.

So concerning the Colonial certainly not because it is a stove which heats well and which is not new.

He is AT LEAST 20 years old and it would not surprise me that he is triple

So we can not blame him for "wasting" wood given his great age.

Perhaps the latest models (with windows) are better at this level: that is to be hoped for elsewhere.

Regarding the Cantou I had seen in a restaurant and it gave the impression of heating up well.

So he replaced our Colonial ... Ouch that was not at all the case.

LUCKY that we had planned to take advantage of a long outlet pipe on purpose (the ceiling was high) and that we had not decided to pass it immediately through the wall otherwise we were cold ... Image

Big disappointment therefore.
We sold it 400 € to COSTAUDS who came to pick it up when we moved

We expected this little Flame Font to be insufficient well, it's just the opposite, day and night with the Godin.

In summary I do not think that the Godin engineers are bad I say that we must be wary of design flaws: the look (I always found the Cantou superb) not always going well with efficiency.

Our neighbors in the same building had a small stove with a similar look to the Godin Colonial (but it was not Godin), not very glamorous so but a killing in terms of heating and yet it was not big and that was heating up with thunder ...

That said, testing a stove is not easy.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/10/18, 22:02

It is certain that the aesthetic aspect often prevails over the functional qualities, since the purchase decision is first made on this criterion which is, by definition, the most visible. For the manufacturer, it is above all important to produce salable goods, even if in the medium term can also play in this sense a good reputation *.
Nico239, you write:
Our neighbors in the same building had a small stove with a similar look to the Godin Colonial (but it was not Godin), not very glamorous therefore, but a killing in terms of heating and yet it was not big and it was heating up with thunder ...

The capacity to produce heat must be carefully distinguished from the combustion efficiency: many simplistic devices heated very well, at the cost of high consumption.

* The appreciation of customers remains variable, however, since some are very satisfied with mediocre products, while others are very dissatisfied with quality devices that they do not know how to operate properly or that are used in unsuitable configurations (these are personal observations).
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/10/18, 01:51

Ahmed wrote:The capacity to produce heat must be carefully distinguished from the combustion efficiency: many simplistic devices heated very well, at the cost of high consumption.

Let's get along well in this case it is a consumption of wood.

In the case of Godin Colonial: good performance and high consumption
In the case of my neighbors' small stove, something that looked like this (below) and Flame Font: good performance and low consumption

Ahmed wrote:* The appreciation of customers remains variable, however, since some are very satisfied with mediocre products, while others are very dissatisfied with quality devices that they do not know how to operate properly or that are used in unsuitable configurations (these are personal observations).

No variation between my return and those of the neighbors: their little one heated better than the Cantou and proportionally better also than the Colonial.

As for the Flame Melt it heats 150m2 (on one level) with -15 the fingers in the nose.
It is clear that the house is well insulated.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 15/10/18, 10:30

To get along well, you need a minimum of rigor in the wording; when you write: "In the case of Godin Colonial: good performance and high consumption", there is a contradiction: in reality, you mean that the heating power is good, but the energy efficiency bad. The latter being the ratio between the quantity of fuel supplied and what comes out of it in useful heat; the result depending on two factors which are, I remind you, the quality of the combustion and the exchange capacity.
0 x