The planet is burning and we are watching our smartphones.

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The planet is burning and we are watching our smartphones.

by izentrop » 11/10/18, 19:01

The energy bill of tech flambe
Technology is already producing more greenhouse gases than civil air transport. Digital energy consumption is growing by 9% per year. A report recommends limiting it to 1,5%.

https://www.lesechos.fr/tech-medias/hig ... 211856.php
1 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The planet is burning and we are watching our smartphones.

by Janic » 11/10/18, 19:43

And while the sector accounted for only 2,5% of global greenhouse gas emissions five years ago, it now weighs 3,7% - more than civilian air transport. And threatens to approach 8% 2025 - the equivalent of current emissions of light vehicles (car, motorcycle ...).
https://www.viande.info/elevage-viande-gaz-effet-serre
it's nothing next to GHGs linked to livestock farming
Key figures

The livestock sector produces 7,1 billion tonnes of CO2 equivalent, approximately 1 / 7 of all greenhouse gas emissions.

These GHG emissions are broken down as follows. 45% is attributable to the production and transport of food (of which 9% is attributable to deforestation linked to the extension of crops and pastures). 39% come from the gastric fermentation of ruminants. 10% results from the storage and use of slurry. 6% is caused by transport, slaughter of animals and storage of animal products.

Emissions are mainly due to ruminant farming. Producing 1 kg of protein in the form of beef emits on average 290 kg of eq. C02, for less than 50 in the form of pork, chicken or eggs.
Greenhouse gas emissions by species
Source: IPCC.
NB: "dairy cattle" are exploited for their milk but also their flesh.
→ GHG emissions in France.
A report from 2011 predicts that between 2005 and 2050, meat demand will increase by 73% and milk demand by 58% (FAO, 2011).
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/10/18, 23:52

This time you're right :) and less than 12 is left to act to avoid exceeding 1.5 ° according to the IPCC http://www.lefigaro.fr/sciences/2017/05 ... annees.php

A recent study specifies
The researchers found that a global shift to a "flexitarian" regime was needed to keep climate change even below 2 ° C, not to mention 1,5 ° C. This flexitarian regime means that the average world citizen must consume 75 % less beef, 90% less pork and half the number of eggs, while tripling the consumption of beans and legumes and quadrupling nuts and seeds. This would halve livestock emissions and better manure management would lead to further reductions. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... aM3tWcT2OA

In French https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/socie ... 39344.html
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 12/10/18, 08:54

This time you are right and there is less than 12 years to act to avoid exceeding 1.5 ° according to the IPCC http://www.lefigaro.fr/sciences/2017/05 ... annees.php

A recent study specifies
The researchers found that a global shift to a "flexitarian" regime was needed to keep climate change even below 2 ° C, not to mention 1,5 ° C. This flexitarian regime means that the average world citizen must consume 75 % less beef, 90% less pork and half the number of eggs, while tripling the consumption of beans and legumes and quadrupling nuts and seeds. This would halve livestock emissions and better manure management would lead to further reductions. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... aM3tWcT2OA
In French https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/socie ... 39344.html

I am always right or, more precisely, those who for decades (see millennia) are shouting out about what awaits humanity (as far as its action on the environment is concerned) and which is not limited to not to global warming of course. They had and continue to be right, even and especially, as soon as they are fought for their disturbing ideas and speeches for the systems in place.
For the article, it is no longer a flexitarian "regime" that would be necessary, but a complete interruption of the consumption of animal products. In fact, for the rich countries, flexitarism could be understood as long as the developing countries did not aspire to adopt the mode of food of the affluent people in question. Since then things have changed and these countries want to live according to the Western model with its criteria often unsuitable for these countries. So even reducing "our" animal consumption would only represent a drop in the ocean of this population explosion and the industrialization of all these peoples.

The other mistake of the express article is this:
Four times more seeds
To avoid disaster, the study advises to adopt a refocused diet on plants, including plants. The average human will need to reduce his consumption of 75% beef, 90% pork, and divide his egg intake by two, the Guardian reports. Instead, he will have to consume three times more legumes and four times more nuts and seeds. More stringent requirements in rich countries. Britons and Europeans will have to reduce 90% beef and 60% milk.

This is a technocratic, mathematical point of view, totally outside reality and coming, as usual, from non-practitioners.
Overconsumption of animal "proteins" causes many pathologies that disappear as soon as they are reduced. But replacing excess animal sources with other plants in the same excess can only give the same result: many pathologies of overloads to the key! Certainly in terms of global warming the impact is much less, but our real problem is that of the survival of the human, not just other animals and plants. And that's just as bad as the rest!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/18, 08:54

Nice title!

I do not know if it's so catastrophic ... the progression is important in curves but it replaces other technologies or human activities also polluting!

Examples boats: when I use Netflix, I do not need to take my car to go to the cinema ... when I use wikipedia, I do not need to go to the library ... etc. etc. ..

The connected population also increases ... it would be necessary to report in figures to the number of connected.

What is worrying is the increase in the (futile) consumption of certain connected objects (futiles) ...

We already talked about it here https://www.econologie.com/pollution-no ... t-hi-tech/ et electricity-electronics-informatics / pollution-Computer-hi-tech-and-internet-t3805.html ... in 2007

ps: I do not understand the last camembert ... compare manufacturing with use of different things ???

reps: janic, we talk about ICT there ... no meat, even if it's good, as I just did, to relativize ...
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/10/18, 09:24

Christophe wrote:ps: I do not understand the last camembert ... compare manufacturing with use of different things ???
The common point is the amount of energy consumed by the "digital" sector during 2017.
The original data come from this investigation report. I have not read everything ... there is an appendix that gives the figures 63 page.

mirror:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/18, 09:38

It's a good report, well complete and not only the energy of new technologies!

I will know where to look for information on the subject if needed :)
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 12/10/18, 10:00

reps: janic, we're talking about ICT there ... no meat, although it's good, as I just did, to relativize ...
:?:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/18, 11:28

Ttechnologies of theIinformation and Ctelecommunications (of which internet is part ...)
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 14/10/18, 19:37

Indeed, it consumes a lot of energy but apart from the extraction of raw materials for screens and batteries, it's easy enough to decarbonize.
This is what some large companies do in offsetting with renewables (mostly wind for the moment).

You should also know that a data center in Norway consumes half as much as the same data center in Texas. Some manufacturers offer servers that operate in an extended temperature range: the goal is to avoid as much as possible the air conditioning that doubles the power consumption quickly.

It's easier to use solar or wind power to power a data center or network routers than to achieve carbon neutrality in shipping, air, land, heating, agriculture, ....
Individual self-consumption will also develop rapidly in the coming years, and the consumption of equipment seen from the electricity grid will also decline.
0 x