Need advice to start a big collective garden on wasteland

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Need advice to start a big collective garden on wasteland

by Did67 » 02/07/18, 12:08

Indeed !

If the land situation is not clear, it is better not to "invest".

Otherwise, the photos of the neighborhood are completely reassuring.

And with a "work intensive" way of doing things like mine, 4 fit lads should cultivate this without a problem. I remind you that being severe cardiac, having the damaged back and more than 65 years, I "cultivate" [well, it is not the right word, even I like even less "exploits" - maybe "values "?) about 900 m² with my wife who works, full time, being myself often on the roads for conferences, dedications, etc; frequently also my nose in my computers, writing messages (proof), books, articles ... Or shooting and editing videos!

Evil tongues imply in comments on Youtube that I am not doing it alone. Indeed, the "permaculturists on mounds" would have a hard time. They cannot therefore not even imagine that I do not exploit (sorry: "do not train" - as they say) trainees ... And yet, all this is as it is, starting from a meadow. And was done ALONE with my wife ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Need advice to start a big collective garden on wasteland

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/07/18, 12:09

DavidM26 wrote:Hello,

we met and we visited the field together.
We have several "problems":
    We are only 4 for now, plus a few people to help occasionally
    It seems that the land in the sector is coveted by the town hall which aims to make a "land reserve" there, in order, in the long term, to make it an artisanal zone (the PLU is being modified) (apparently the town hall wants pre-empt the remaining agricultural land if they are put up for sale, to be confirmed, and for the moment the neighbors in the area do not want to sell at all and instead oppose the town hall's plans)

We contacted the town hall, but had no accurate and reliable information for now.
Should we get to know if the craft zone project is maintained for this area, and what do they mean by long term (5 years, 30 years ...?).
Because if it is maintained, must see if it's worth it (and it means not to put fruit trees) to start a garden, because the town hall could make a Declaration of Public Utility to expropriate by force if she needs. And then it would be necessary to resist with the neighbors to prevent the project!, But that could be very difficult and very uncertain ...

Other info: the land is classified as an area flooded by overflows, low risk
We will also contact the owner for more info.

With this small number of motivated for the moment, we must also discuss again if it is playable, making only a small part to start.

Otherwise, we know that the field has not been mown for at least 10 years. Trees and shrubs grow here and there.
See photos of the place and adjacent land: https://app.box.com/s/ndflvx56d39nczho5qabu5m1cv192wdn
It grows many soil decompactant plants with pivoting roots.

It's probably not worth your time to give more advice, because we still lack elements in fact, and unfortunately not sure that it continues :(

Too bad the project cannot take shape because the place seems interesting ....

There is always the choice to start anyway with just vegetables and then if you have to leave at least you will have benefited X months.

But I also understand that we don't really want to invest in a place with an uncertain future
0 x