My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 22/06/18, 21:27

Hi, I'm Moindreffor,
Here is my little story, I always gardened, with my father, my grandmother, more or less assiduous. Let's say that I always scratched the earth, until the day when, with the big tile that falls on my head, the disease. No more question for me to be able to dig ...

So here I am at 25 years take my independence, in a house without a vegetable garden, just a small lawn because impossible for me to live without greenery. I squat then the kitchen garden of one of my old aunts, I do digging, but it's not great, I stop quite quickly. I then built my house, on a not too big ground, and I reserved for myself a small piece of kitchen garden.

2 boards of 2m on 8 with a small aisle in the middle. Again I depended on someone to return the land, a land partly made embankment of the construction of my house, so no Top ..., I planted easy things, apples, earth, shallots, onions, zucchini , pumpkin, tomatoes, a little salad, some radish seedlings, beans ...

success was not always there, especially for tomatoes, the Bordeaux mixture works, but do not miss a treatment, if the mildew settles it is not curative

Shortly after 2 I went to a board, and I limited myself to potatoes, beans, zucchini and some tomatoes.

In short, I was on the verge of giving up completely, and then at random from a conversation between colleagues, the word permaculture falls, késako? Back home, I ask my friend Google, and I come across some guys with long hair talking about gardening, in some kind of wasteland, in the middle of jungles where you can see some rather ridiculous vegetables trying out. to push. I skip, a video, then another, what is it like guys with long hair who make videos, then I come across a title that calls out to me "the lazy man's vegetable garden", stack the thing for me who can no longer do much, I discover the thread, I start reading and I find myself a little in the story of Didier, like him I can no longer work the land ...

Very quickly I think it's for me, I'll try the thing, it's early July, the garden is bumped, some potatoes, but almost empty, I'm looking for hay, I find it easily, small boots, pile what I need, and that's the adventure begins ...

I'm given tomato plants, I buy the last plants of pumpkin, cucumber, zucchini and cabbage that I find, in short I start mid-July, without any conviction, but the idea I like, I try, I do not even ask me whether it will work or not, Didier gives me the opportunity to remake the garden independently, so I go for it, if it works at home, it will work at home

in parallel I start reading the 500 pages of the time ...

it's only a year old.

good it's good for today, following another day
5 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 25/06/18, 18:05

I spread the hay, between the tomato plants and on the "empty" plot of vegetables but very crowded with an enormous mulberry tree. I transplant my pumpkins, my zucchini, my cabbages, and then bam the heat wave, already that all these plants suffered from having delayed in their pots, they were more yellow than green… No problem, I have water, I water. They will eventually take on a beautiful green color, but it took a long time.

Following my reading of Didier's thread, I look around me and I find a huge source of false “BRF”, I bring back enough to recharge my mulch of bark of paint in the pleasure garden and I put it in the vegetable garden where there is nothing. I tell myself I will cut the lawns to compensate for the lack of nitrogen, except that with the heat wave, well no mowing.

I sow beans in the ground and in pots and I do not do much except water the mulberry tree, which needs water as Didier says, what he describes I had lived the previous year, big promise of flowers, but harvest little sorrow, for lack of water, fruits abort.
I prepare lettuce for transplanting into a bucket, and I perfect myself in transat ...

In the end, small crop of zucchini, 2 or 3 pumpkins, cabbages ran out of food and were long delayed by the invasions of caterpillars. Tomatoes planted very late yielded some fruit before being affected by downy mildew, comparable bean crops whether planted in the ground or transplanted.

The cold September did not allow a good development of my salads, the endive and endangered farceas were also ridiculous, and my trials of lamb's lettuce and white onions in pans gave nothing. more.

In short a record, very poor at harvest level, but quite positive vis-à-vis my observations. All that Didier presents us, well it happens, we see it at ground level, at the level of vegetables. But when you start from a distance, especially at ground level, do not expect miracles. We just have to say that we will do better the following year ...

This year I have the hay, I read the book, I am motivated and ready! But life is not a long calm river and everything does not start as planned ...

There I come back from the host, must I get a drip of coffee and a little sunbed, so to follow ...
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 25/06/18, 19:02

Tell me: you have not had less than before anyway ??? Even if it was not all you expected ...

I have some failures too, of course, even if basically I have the impression that the main thing succeeds without efforts ... Without doubt I am not aware of the necessary part of learning for some who try to do like me. At home, it is not innate, but I reason immediately according to the mechanisms that I describe. And often, probably, I anticipate without even realizing it. That helps.
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/06/18, 20:29

Did67 wrote:Tell me: you have not had less than before anyway ??? Even if it was not all you expected ...

I have some failures too, of course, even if basically I have the impression that the main thing succeeds without efforts ... Without doubt I am not aware of the necessary part of learning for some who try to do like me. At home, it is not innate, but I reason immediately according to the mechanisms that I describe. And often, probably, I anticipate without even realizing it. That helps.

no worries, if the results were poor it is mainly because I transplanted plants that had waited for me a long time in the garden, they were yellow for fear of languishing on their display, what I can say c is that they have found a beautiful green color and given a small production.

so I had more than the year before when I had only 3 feet of zucchini, which had given me almost nothing, there I had some nice zucchini and even if none went at the freezer, it's because we have eaten everything as we go.

I was hoping for no results in fact, I was in observation, and I was more than satisfied, I saw life come back in my garden and vegetables that grow, but starting from mid-July we can not not hope for miracles, after as I said life is not a long calm river and so between what you expect and what you can do sometimes is a big shift

as soon as I have more time I make you the beginning of this real first year of phenoculture, although ...
0 x
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 26/06/18, 01:58

Did67 wrote:No doubt I am not aware of the learning needed for some who try to do like me. At home, it is not innate, but I reason immediately according to the mechanisms that I describe. And often, probably, I anticipate without even realizing it. That helps.
Yes it is surely true. By watching the videos and reading the book, I felt all the knowledge and experience of your agronomic experience. But with your provocative "lazy" tactic that I purposely caricature like this: I roll out hay on the meadow, I plant and I go to drink a beer on the deckchair while waiting for the harvest, I fear some disappointments for a whole public who for example wishes to launch a little "ingenuously" in a first small vegetable garden (I say that without backbiting) or which would approach it from afar. The affect of trendy lazy culture that we find here and there is nothing new and sometimes it is, in my opinion, akin to magical thinking. This is what I called the gardening hurray. From now on, we must let nature take its course: I am throwing seeds and they will do well !! It can work, it's true but without wanting to play the bird of bad omen, it is perhaps tragic because your approach indeed seems to me very far from that in practice despite the effects of speech in this direction. In fact there could be an opposite effect obtained: disappointments, sneers and reinforcements of traditional or new practices precisely "fought" ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 26/06/18, 08:10

Did67 wrote:Tell me: you have not had less than before anyway ??? Even if it was not all you expected ...

I understand the remark of being chafoin, but that's where we have to be a little autonomous, Didier presents us a way to collaborate with the living beings of the ground, so as not to have to work the earth, in no way presents market gardening techniques.
I think that the amateur who embarks on gardening, whether phenoculture or traditional culture, will have the same disappointments if he does not invest a minimum intellectually and physically in his garden.
intellectually because to believe that throwing a few seeds into the ground is enough to get enough to fill full baskets is illusory
physically, because even if in phenoculture one does not work the soil, one must nevertheless be present to manage for example the slugs

throw seeds in the ground and have a wonderful development, we are in Jack and magic beans (yesterday on TV precisely)
1 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 26/06/18, 10:17

to be chafoin wrote:.... But with your provocative tactic of the "lazy" that I caricature on purpose like this: I roll out hay on the meadow, I plant and I go to drink a beer on the deckchair while waiting for the harvest, I fear some disappointments for a whole audience which, for example, wishes to launch a little "ingenuously" into a first small vegetable garden (I say that without backbiting) or who would approach it from afar. The affect of trendy lazy culture that we find here and there is nothing new and it sometimes resembles, in my opinion, magical thinking. This is what I called the gardening hurray. From now on, we must let nature take its course: I am throwing seeds and they will do well !! it can work, it's true but without wanting to play the bird of bad omen, it is perhaps tragic because your approach indeed seems to me very far from that in practice despite the effects of speech in this direction. In fact there could be an opposite effect obtained: disappointments, sneers and reinforcements of traditional or new practices precisely "fought" ...

This may surprise, but I agree!

I found myself embarked, "unbeknownst to my own free will", in a contradictory adventure. The "old ones", but they are rare, know that the Potager du Laesseux was first and foremost my vegetable garden, to feed me. I spoke about it incidentally here, on a thread called "no-till in agriculture: possible or not" (or something like that). I testified that we could produce a lot without working the soil. This was detached by remundo, and became the main thread "Le Potager du Laesseux: producing more than organic without tillage" with the success that we know (which I was very far from suspecting!). And then phil53 suggested that I make some videos, so people can see. At first I was reluctant. And then it took the turn we know. One day, steph72 called me to find out if I was ready to make a conf at La Ferté-Bernard. Here, why not! And here I am solicited elsewhere. Some here or by "mp", suggest to me "better summarize my ideas in a book" because on econology, it is messy and "illegible". I drag my feet first, then start. Last summer, after returning from vacation, a comment on YouTube caught my attention, "I'm an editor. How can I contact you?" It was Tana's director.

If I recall this, it's good because I have the feeling that it all kind of hit me. Hence the "I found myself on board ...". And not a coherent strategy. If I had had, from the start, the intention to make confs, write a book, etc, I would undoubtedly have communicated differently! Of course, I looked for it !!!

a) To be perceived, listened to, I had to provoke. To provoke the spirits, the conventional ways of thinking (in conventional, in my mind, there is "conventional chemical", but also "organic conventional - with tillers, pesticides" natural therefore authorized in organic ") ... It was good: you noticed, I like it!

b) Suddenly, I forced the line. Caricature. I "did the show."

c) Which paradoxically brought me closer to certain "permaculturalists", of which I also criticize the weakness of the scientific argumentation and the "fashion" side at best, "religion" at worst.

d) And, indeed, I probably risk creating a wave of disappointed ...

I am therefore in the process of "reframing" all that, correcting the situation ... And now that I no longer have to "show off" to be known, I will go towards a more accurate, more precise "comm". Look at the last video, there are almost as many "negatives", "problems" as there are positives. Cropping is already underway.

So we pretty much agree.
1 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 26/06/18, 11:05

Super ... As far as I'm concerned I remain convinced of your "good faith" and your approach in general, if it is understood. Although I remain critical in some respects, you have managed to persuade me to change the way I garden and in addition I do it with a certain pleasure. Of course I could only judge the "results" but knowing that I consider that the main difficulty of the vegetable garden is the discouragement which regularly strikes the gardener (in front of the scale of the task, after a failure or some climatic or other ...), I find that for me it's already won! This is a little paradoxical compared to what I said previously, but there is a positive trigger side (even for these pure beginners we were talking about: at least it will give them a first experience ...). On the other hand this is done with certainly a "lesser effort" (to come back to the subject of this thread) which is far from being negligible, but certainly not with less investment in time or other. But here it is only my vision, my way of appropriating the phenoculture and my short experience that speak ...
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 27/06/18, 00:37

Moindreffor wrote:... because to believe that throwing a few seeds into the ground is enough to get something to fill with full baskets is illusory ...
throw seeds in the ground and have a beautiful development, we are in Jack and magic beans

I do not underestimate the beginner's luck!
Here, a funny thing with my potimarrons that I planted one by one in large cups on my warm layer and transplanted in my field, they ended up 3 / 4 eaten by the slugs.
At 2 meters away, pumpkins have sprouted spontaneously on the hay; these are the last pumpkins that were not eaten this winter and rotted and I carelessly balanced on the hay in spring ... And bin those there, the slugs do not even touch and they look good next to my plants that I had pampered : roll:
1 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 27/06/18, 00:54

Did67 wrote: I found myself embarked, "unbeknownst to my own free will", in a contradictory adventure. The "old ones", but they are rare, know that the Potager du Laesseux was first and foremost my vegetable garden, to feed me. I spoke about it incidentally here, on a thread called "no-till in agriculture: possible or not" (or something like that). I testified that we could produce a lot without working the soil. This was detached by remundo, and became the main thread "Le Potager du Laesseux: producing more than organic without tillage" with the success that we know (which I was very far from suspecting!). And then phil53 suggested that I make some videos, so people can see. At first I was reluctant. And then it took the turn we know. One day, steph72 called me to find out if I was ready to make a conf at La Ferté-Bernard. Here, why not! And here I am solicited elsewhere. Some here or by "mp", suggest to me "better summarize my ideas in a book" because on econology, it is messy and "illegible". I drag my feet first, then start. Last summer, after returning from vacation, a comment on YouTube caught my attention, "I'm an editor. How can I contact you?" It was Tana's director.

If I recall this, it's good because I have the feeling that it all kind of hit me. Hence the "I found myself on board ...". And not a coherent strategy. If I had had, from the start, the intention to make confs, write a book, etc, I would undoubtedly have communicated differently! Of course, I looked for it !!!

a) To be perceived, listened to, I had to provoke. To provoke the spirits, the conventional ways of thinking (in conventional, in my mind, there is "conventional chemical", but also "organic conventional - with tillers, pesticides" natural therefore authorized in organic ") ... It was good: you noticed, I like it!

b) Suddenly, I forced the line. Caricature. I "did the show."

c) Which paradoxically brought me closer to certain "permaculturalists", of which I also criticize the weakness of the scientific argumentation and the "fashion" side at best, "religion" at worst.

d) And, indeed, I probably risk creating a wave of disappointed ...

I am therefore in the process of "reframing" all that, correcting the situation ... And now that I no longer have to "show off" to be known, I will go towards a more accurate, more precise "comm". Look at the last video, there are almost as many "negatives", "problems" as there are positives. Cropping is already underway.

So we pretty much agree.

This journey made of a combination of circumstances and spontaneity, where you found yourself embarked ... and we with it, it is perhaps that which pleased precisely.
A more studied com, a coherent strategy ... must see ...
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...