My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by to be chafoin » 13/08/18, 00:41

Yes I understand thank you for this info. In fact I was asking myself the question because last year I sowed around October and it's not a great start, you may remember this plot with rye mixed with vetch which peaked at 75cm .. .
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/08/18, 10:27

It is a winter cereal. Which means that we sow in the fall; the plant settles down and spends the winter at the "grass" stage. In spring, it develops, rises and then forms the ears ... In cereals, that's how it goes. With a very important stage but that one cannot see from the roadside: tillering. It is the formation, on the same foot, of tillers = ramifications of the stem, horizontal, at ground level, which will give as many ears. It is a phenomenon of self-adaptation. If the density is already high, or if the soil is poor, there are few tillers. If it is low, or if the soil is rich in nitrogen, there will be a lot of tillers.

There, on an early sowing (August), I don't know! Will it go up in the fall? Ascend ???

We have to try.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/08/18, 18:25

I found a site to order rye forage, not in the listings of my usual garden center, I will see to order

otherwise today transplanting 17 scaroles and 18 curly, directly in the hay we will see the rest,

my white onions in the terrine are rising and I have sown cabbage heart of beef, a test I will transplant them before winter and I will see what will remain in spring, I will make a new sowing in January for a transplanting in February, I will test other cabbage also like cauliflower and bruxelle
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 22/08/18, 14:26

good the recovery of escarole and curly is not the best of the best
need to water, it's still hot, I'm thinking about a shading system for next year

I have a question, if we dry a sunflower stem can it make a good tutor the following year?

I plan to sow some to shade or so beans to row always to shade the salads which with less sun would perhaps be less tendency to go to seed if in addition I bring them water, and also choose a better suited variety
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 22/08/18, 15:00

Moindreffor wrote:
I'm thinking of a shading system for next year

Crates turned over on the seedlings are a simple solution (those with the bottom in strips allowing light to pass through - because some have a continuous "medium" type).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 22/08/18, 17:06

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
I'm thinking of a shading system for next year

Crates turned over on the seedlings are a simple solution (those with the bottom in strips allowing light to pass through - because some have a continuous "medium" type).

on a seedling yes, that's fine, but on transplanted plants it's a lot of crates : Mrgreen: hence the search for a broader and more lazy way, last year I installed polystyrene plates, there too much heatwave to put them back, maybe also too lazy :(
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 22/08/18, 17:33

On larger surfaces there are shade nets ...

Without ads, as usual, for illustration: https://www.serresvaldeloire.com/baches ... s-ombrage/
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 22/08/18, 18:02

Did67 wrote:On larger surfaces there are shade nets ...

Without ads, as usual, for illustration: https://www.serresvaldeloire.com/baches ... s-ombrage/

we can see the difference with a forcing veil that some have used instead and as a result with the destruction of their culture, there, the mesh is really big

it could also be used against butterflies
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/09/18, 09:57

return of humidity and although it goes down at night it is still hot during the day, it nitrifies by turns, I start to have a production of cucumbers and they are beautiful

always without wanting to play the one with the biggest : Oops: , but I apparently planted the same variety as my stepfather (bare soil cultivation, very classic), a very classic variety, but my cucumbers are much longer, and moreover this year they are also more at home than last year, it really looks like a cucumber and not like a big pickle

I conclude that they grew much faster and well in this good period, that's also see that it changes, get vegetables that look like what you should have : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 01/09/18, 10:01

In my "basin" surrounded by forest, humidity sounds the end of cucurbits !!! Without any treatment. I have been away too often, otherwise I would have tried some "treatments": sulfur, potassium bicarbonate, volcanic rock powder ... All other things being equal.
0 x