How to charge my batteries with 24Volts and use them in 12 volts

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to charge my batteries with 24Volts and use them in 12 volts

by izentrop » 18/06/18, 09:07

dede2002 wrote:So to use this panel it is necessary to use two batteries in series, unless you have a regulator mppt that converts the voltage to 12V, but in this case it will double the nominal amperage of the regulator relative to that of the panel.
We can very well charge a 12 V battery with an 24 V panel and a 12 / 24 V charger, even standard or PWM, it seems to me that it is the type of battery that determines the automatic switching.
In his case, a second charger, connected in parallel on the panel, to charge the 2 batteries independently is the simplest.
dede2002 wrote:I have the same installation at home, with a regulator 24V and two dissipative regulators that engage 14.4V and trigger to 13.5V (homemade) to avoid overcharging a battery
Normally these safeties, as well as the cut to avoid deep discharge are managed by the chargers, even the most basic.
1 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 18/06/18, 21:00

1- Yes, it is possible but the power will be halved, as the panel will work in 12V and the amperage will be shared.

2- With the 24V option, the controller does not manage the batteries separately. If one battery has 12V and the other 15V it continues to charge.

With a voltmeter on each battery you can monitor, and for example put the music thoroughly on the battery that is charged before the other : Mrgreen:

For the control of the discharge, actually a simple regulator 12V on each battery will do the job :)
Moreover the inverter cuts automatically, there would be only the battery used in 12V to monitor.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/06/18, 23:26

dede2002 wrote:1- Yes, it is possible but the power will be halved, as the panel will work in 12V and the amperage will be shared.
The panel will remain at its nominal voltage, it is the duty cycle of the regulator which will evolve around 50% to deliver 10 A / 12 V.

If 2 parallel controllers do not work, there is the possibility of the regulator duo https://avelheol.fr/36-regulateur-solai ... -batteries
1 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 19/06/18, 11:04

Disagree, it is when the battery will be charged that the regulator will come into action, but anyway it is 120W instead of 240, it will work because the intensity curve of the panel is flat it provides its amps what whatever the tension.
:)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 19/06/18, 12:21

Yes, I forgot the power generation side.

So as long as the 10 amps are not exceeded, no current regulation, 2 loaders of this type in series on the panel of 24 V, should be able to load each battery to 10 A and when an end of charge is reached , it would take a device to let the other charger continue to operate, kind relay inverter or mosfets.

In this case, if the capacity of the batteries is well chosen, no need for a charger, just switches depending on the threshold voltages.

I do not have a photovoltaic to try, but it seems logical to me. This is the kind of device you made?
0 x
SEIRMIC
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SEIRMIC » 19/06/18, 12:31

chatelot16 wrote:when you load 2 battery 12v in series to make 24v you should never consume other than 24v

if you use the 12v battery separately it will never be charged correctly once set and loaded 24v ... 12v battery the most unloaded will not be fully charged and suffers from lack of charge ... the battery 12v the least unloaded will suffer from overcharging ... and the 2 battery will be dead soon

if the 2 12v battery are used separately, 2 charger 12v indepandant

if you prefer to use a charger 24v that you already have on 2 battery 12v new, it is necessary a converter 24v 12v to have 12v by connecting on the 2 battery

but for me the 24v is a trap to c ... it takes 2 identical battery, good for nothing to the first problem

so it is better to have 2 load controller 12v to load 2 battery 12v indepandante, and it works even with 2 12v battery of different size or state ... it loads all the 12v battery that we want and we use as we want

I can only say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I tried the connection indicated with the two charge regulators on my two new batteries and it works.

I first did the test on my battered batteries and I noticed that its batteries, even separately connected communicate together. Since I can put the positive terminal of the 12volt branch line on one battery and the negative terminal on the other battery and it works. I tested the lamps it's just that it gives dimly lighting. But on the positive and negative direct terminal of a connection it gives very well the lighting according to the state of charge.

With my new batteries, I have not yet done the test and I paid them yesterday around noon, and I could not fully charge each battery. I send you a picture as soon as possible of my connection. So I have 12volt everywhere and I can use a battery for twelve-volt connections and another for the connection 220v. That's great. I hope the batteries will have long lives this time.

FYI my charge regulators go up to 20 amps

Thank you so much !!!
See you soon
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 23/06/18, 11:24

You could make a diagram of your connection?

izentrop wrote:Yes, I forgot the power generation side.

So as long as the 10 amps are not exceeded, no current regulation, 2 loaders of this type in series on the panel of 24 V, should be able to load each battery to 10 A and when an end of charge is reached , it would take a device to let the other charger continue to operate, kind relay inverter or mosfets.

In this case, if the capacity of the batteries is well chosen, no need for a charger, just switches depending on the threshold voltages.

I do not have a photovoltaic to try, but it seems logical to me. This is the kind of device you made?

I had not thought to put the regulators in series, it seems to me a good idea. It is necessary to connect the batteries first (before connecting the panel) so that the regulators choose their reference voltage, then it should work on its own, no need for an inverter relay.
And we would take advantage of all the power of the panel, when we charge both batteries simultaneously.

At home I simply added on each battery a system that triggers a consumer as soon as the voltage reaches 14.4V, and triggers to 13.5V, to dissipate the possible overload of a battery. I use 24V with a regulator 24V but I have batteries of recovery which are not necessarily identical nor in the same state. (I use the batteries only during the day, they serve as a buffer more than accumulators, it is not comparable to the Seirmic system).
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 23/06/18, 12:41

After reflection, I see that I wrote a stupidity. Two regulators in series that can not work, as soon as the first regulator will cut (as soon as the first battery will be charged) nothing will pass ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/06/18, 12:47

put the regulator in series and a trap: when one of the battery is full, its regulator reduces the current and the other regulator can not charge corectement ... almost the same problem as 2 battery serie

with 2 charger 12v connected in parallel on the panel it will not be optimum but it will work ... it is possible that a controller takes all the power and leaves nothing for the other, but once the first battery full its regulator will no longer take power and leave it for the other

the ideal is to take a regulator containing a power cut and mppt giving the maximum efficiency even when the voltage of the panel is different from the battery voltage ... but even with a basic regulator that only reduces the current it will work without damaging the battery, but it will just load 2 less quickly than with a good regulator

what I just said applies to small simple regulator that reduce the current by opening the circuit

it would be possible to build regulators that reduce the load current by shorting the panel ... and this type of regulator would rise well serie: when a battery is full his regulator short circuit, and lets walk the other serie ... but I do not know a regulator like that

an all-or-nothing regulation, in the kind when the battery voltage is low it is given all the current of the photovoltaic, and when it is full, it cuts completely: it is a very bad solution

to charge a battery completely, gradually reduce the charging current, to maintain just the right voltage, the time it takes to finish the charge
0 x
RV-P
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by RV-P » 26/12/18, 09:23

dede2002 wrote:By plugging two discharge regulators (wind type), one on each battery, one can charge in 24V and if one battery is charged before the other the charging current will be dissipated in one consumer while the other will finish charging.

- And using power Zener diodes such as the famous "liposave" which, once the battery is charged to the correct voltage (rather 13,8V than 14,4V - risk of gas emissions and losses of battery capacity!), Let the charging current pass through him to charge the other battery not yet charged? But it takes a "beefy" to support the intensity of load!
- Otherwise, if it is for lighting, use 24V by putting the 12V lamps in series!
Chatelot16 wrote:it would be possible to build regulators that reduce the load current by shorting the panel ... and this type of regulator would rise well serie: when a battery is full his regulator short circuit, and lets walk the other serie ... but I do not know a regulator like that

- Yes ! I know one: the "liposave"! But to know if this kind of regulator, associated with a current limiter, intended for Li-Ion batteries, would work well for lead batteries! See the diagram and explanation of a test bench and Li-Ion battery charger here:
http://www.radioman33.com/pages/les-realisations-des-visiteurs/banc-de-test-et-chargeur-d-herve.html
- It is planned for 4,1V and 4,2V, but we can easily modify! And put only 2 in series instead of 3!
- Given the intensities delivered by some Li-Ion batteries, I do not think that the "liposave" would be very different for a lead battery! To try…
- Cordially !
0 x
It's easier to just make things complicated than complicate simple things!