A vegetable meadow?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: A vegetable meadow?

by to be chafoin » 01/06/18, 01:57

Did67 wrote:
to be chafoin wrote:By the way, what is it then that these white dots? We can also see it in the seedbed ...

In the seedbed of the trade, it is usually sand, added to lighten it ...
This sand in my "soil" it could then be the rubble which is under my ground (raised "terrace" in front of the house), degraded?
I also found several verses, anecic I think, in this land under the pile of plants.
2018-05-31 19.33.14.jpg
In a clay soil, they must not go down very deep, a little like under this terrace: there must not be more than 25cm of soil before the rubble. 25 cm, and yet he pushed an apple tree!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 01/06/18, 12:53

So I go on to present an attempt, perhaps the most "experimental", no limit (a little because of Nico), micro-phenoculture way (to the point where I am of my knowledge).
2018-05-31 20.09.32.jpg
This is a tomato plant St Pierre production south west (B6 indication I do not know what it means) bought in a lot of 6 for which I got a promo saw the state: j put the worst of the plants here, as you can see it's pinched! it leaves so bad ... but the leaves show a beautiful green.
The choice and preparation of the area:
I placed it in the vegetable meadow at the place I think best exposed: it receives the light the sooner (mildew) and the later. So it's next to my garden on a soil never worked, just shorn annually for maintenance. Between the tufts of grass that I put down with the shears, there was a small corner where a small pile of stubble was hanging. Below, a withdrawal fault (clay soil). I scratched this area very slightly.
The plantation :
I demoted the plant by removing a little soil and "unrolling" the stem which was long. Then I "slipped" it into the slot with 3 anecic verses -of the previous message style- leaving the plane quite close to the surface (clayey earth) and I closed with a mixture of earths (clawing earth + earth of my compost soil -cf previous message-)!
Finishing :
All covered with a thick layer of dry hay. As we see, I mainly put the hay above the root zone to promote maximum aeration. Finally as the plant is a little elongated I put a small crutch so that the leaves do not touch the ground too much. I finally had a white mustard plan folded around to bait and entertain the slug.
I give him any chance, and you?
2018-05-31 20.08.55.jpg
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 01/06/18, 14:11

to be chafoin wrote:This is a tomato plant St Pierre production south west (B6 indication I do not know what it means) bought in a lot of 6 for which I got a promo saw the state: j put the worst of the plants here, as you can see it's pinched! it leaves so bad ... but the leaves show a beautiful green.
I demoted the plant by removing a little soil and "unrolling" the stem which was long. Then I "slipped" it into the slot with 3 anecic verses -of the previous message style- leaving the plane quite close to the surface (clayey earth) and I closed with a mixture of earths (clawing earth + earth of my compost soil -cf previous message-)!
I give him any chance, and you?

the indication B6, it may be the packaging: tray 6.
Well, it's not that bad! I replanted more etiolated sometimes ...
the pinched head, it may be a problem for the lengthening of the stem ... but if gourmands point to the armpit of the large leaves, one of these greedy will act as a new head (if you're breeding your tomatoes on a single stem like me, some keep several stems to start as a bush, each his own way of pruning or not pruning tomatoes ... we could debate ...)
for planting, it is my habit (and I have kept it even with the hay) to bury the plant and a good part of the stem either by digging deeper or by setting the plant diagonally in the ground for to encourage rooting ... but it is perhaps a habit that does not have to be in the hay!
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 01/06/18, 19:42

Guibnd wrote:for planting, it is my habit (and I have kept it even with the hay) to bury the plant and a good part of the stem either by digging deeper or by setting the plant diagonally in the ground for to encourage rooting ... but it is perhaps a habit that does not have to be in the hay!
Well, I just asked myself the question.
The problem in planting lying as I did is that the plant must make an effort to straighten up (hence the crutch). I say to myself that it is perhaps not the moment to ask him too much! In addition to the blow the first leaves are in contact with the ground.
So I'm coming back from this plantation approach and I usually plant my right plant if I can. By cons, as I'm on clay soil, it seems a bit destructive to dig so much so that the tomato can make secondary roots, the ground is cup. So I take the mound and I return with the fingers down the roots to spread them in sun around the plane.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 03/06/18, 03:22

Hello
After the meadow, I will show a series of photos to introduce you to the heart of the garden. Maybe I should have done it earlier but hey! So I'm going to show you some pictures that must be a month old, I took them right after haying most of the plots.

Here is to start a picture taken from the south (on the other side compared to the first picture of this forum).
2018-05-09 16.04.35.jpg
First note, rest assured I am not a cousin of Larry Hodgson (https://jardinierparesseux.com/), but I had recovered this deck before it was taken to the dump, to put it here there is 5ans. Well, we must recognize that Didier encouraged me to use it more often and especially as an authentic gardening tool! : Wink: smile
It is a small vegetable garden in a semicircle with a surface of a little more than 50m2 but gardened in flowerbeds, so the cultivation surface must be around the 30 m2. Small note in passing on the area: thanks to Didier Helmstetter and an opening of my available time, I can potentially use this year all these flowerbeds and some additional areas that I opened in the meadow which leads the total usable area to maybe 40 m2. This seems to me enough to feed a couple of fresh produce in the season, more than bios and good, considering that I'm not at home and that at certain times: time in the kitchen garden = 0!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 03/06/18, 03:59

Photo taken from the west
2018-05-09 16.10.54.jpg
in the center on the right a ridge turned into teens
at the bottom the water tanks under the roof
The garden is arranged on a line of old vines on the east side which brings me to evoke the history of this garden and this soil. It is located on an old river bed, besides the Garonne should be at 1km. The soil is rather clay but I did not go further analysis. It has long been grown in vines of which there remains only this row, then left for perhaps 10 years in meadow ... Its owner is a great friend and he let me cultivate this portion of his land. I live less than 10 min bike which is both little and much.Photo taken from the east
2018-05-09 16.06.33.jpg
in the foreground of comfrey
The first investment was to create this rather crazy "fence" which limits the vegetable garden, a protective hedge against the winds, domestic animals (hens) or wild animals (wild boar) even if we can sometimes doubt its effectiveness! Photo taken from the north
2018-05-09 16.08.56.jpg
in front of beans, then a rest of rye / vetch
at the bottom of the nigelle
I garden for the pleasure of being in an extra corner of nature with trees, plants, a fauna that I discover every day a little more, for me a source of astonishment. It is also an opportunity for me to practice an activity that is both physical and interesting because it is subtle and changing. I always made a vegetable garden even if I happened to use once or twice Bordeaux mixture. Since 2 years I cover more or less moderately some plots with leaves, fresh or dried grass of the meadow. Now I go to the thick layer of hay and I abandon the tillage except in a few places. That's it, it was the start-up state, I'll show you the more recent situation of the plots, after the plantations.
1 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 07/06/18, 00:13

50 potatoes!
This year the beginning of my crops in place, like the previous 2, was the potato!
Planted mid April, they begin to show their heads under the hay from the 9 May, surprise, on the teenager that I put in place this winter. It was a billon (the land of the alley had been placed on the plot to raise it). This year, I have regularly landed on this slanted (loosely) east-west, which creates an oblique slope where the plants are better exposed to the sun. It's crazy as a small modification of the relief plays .
2018-05-09 16.10.54.jpg
the teen is the long strip in the center (right)
In the photo, we can logically distinguish the first planes that emerge at mid slope, while on the second line above, but at the top, the heads have not yet appeared!

These 2 long strips on the right are the first that we opened with friends, at the beginning of this vegetable garden. I did not know anything about culture, the memories of the vegetable garden were summed up in the redcurrant chores of my childhood, the land was unknown and it was necessary to take the plunge! I did have a grimoire, but that's another matter to do! Precisely the book labeled organic as it should be explained - I reread it just now, I can not resist quoting you a passage - how to "work the soil well" thanks to digging:
001.jpg
the traditional digging: admire the pirouette that turns everything upside down
001.jpg (192.86 KB) Viewed times 2417

"We must not work a soil that is too dry or too wet. We recognize the right moment for the fact that a clod of earth caught between the fingers is crumbly and does not stick. (...) This is the first step in soil preparation, which requires the most energy (not essential in very light soils) The purposes of digging are: loosening the soil in depth (up to approximately 30 cm), (...) , destruction of weeds (they are uprooted, then removed and buried). "

Notice already this absurdity of the reasoning: one must work the ground only when it is brittle and this in order to loosen it up !!
Those who have worked in the earth actually understand what it is: a clod of earth is "crumbly" when you can take it in your hand, it holds, but on pressing it easily crumbles and becomes airy ("loose ").

But here we see that the guide, as often is content to prescribe without explanations a reasonable minimum. Let's try not to fall in this way ... How do you explain this phenomenon: the friable earth is held by the glus made by the soil organisms? thanks to the clay-humic complex? thanks to the adequate hydrometry of the earth? On the other hand, why would a vegetable not cross as easily a crumbly earth as a loose earth? Finally, we know that good aeration of a soil benefits bacteria and microorganisms that need air to break down organic matter. Hence the implicit idea of ​​airing the soil to the maximum ... with burying the canopy in this airy area.

All I did was confuse you finally : Mrgreen: ...
wait, wait, see, return to our potato 50 and before to the story of this flower bed.

So we happily made on this first flowerbed a kind of traditional double digging with turning over the clods and burying the plant cover, a heresy! Well the book said:

"Very tiring, it is also not always satisfactory on the biological level. It will only be used if it is necessary to quickly bury the vegetation in place, (...)"

For the first 2 elements I confirm: in the clay soil, to make a band of 5m, it is enough to tear for the remainder of the week! The soil, put upside down, was so badly handled that this plot is the one that posed the most problems thereafter (raised weeds, bindweed, compaction, soil poverty ...) Despite the use of a kind of spring loaded neo-spade ( : Shock: I'll show you the gear later), for the other flowerbeds we did otherwise (subsequently, I'll buy a grelinette soon, I use less and less).

Here are the potato plants today:
2018-06-06 20.00.35.jpg
the same teen
In short it's not bad party for potatoes and without digging!
2018-06-06 19.53.33.jpg
the hay was partly replenished with bean remnants (provided by neighbors)
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 09/06/18, 00:44

Next time you ask yourself zero questions.

You put your potatoes on the ground you put 30cm of hay and you will walk while waiting for that grows Image

0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 09/06/18, 07:38

Say the landscape at home is not disgusting! Is your potatoes growing?
Otherwise for the next year is not so sure because what you say is exactly what I did outside the garden and for now it's not great. Small tour of different potatoes with some comparatives depending on the growing conditions!
    : Arrow: grelinette, buried potatoes 5cm, thick mulch of hay + various:
2018-06-06 19.52.44.jpg
    : Arrow: grelinette, buried potatoes, hilling, mulch (as I was doing last year):
2018-06-06 19.53.17.jpg
in the foreground
Well we can't learn too much from it (not even plot ...) but on photo 1 it seems to me that the potatoes came out later but finally developed better (in stem, foliage) than in photo 2. Moreover, there are certain plants which "pour" (excess nitrogen?)
    : Arrow: potatoes planted on the meadow mowed raz, thick mulch of hay:
2018-06-07 15.59.26.jpg

On the 3, only 2 pdt have just released recently, I released one and it gives that:
2018-06-07 18.26.19.jpg
it looks like the last of the germs have burned
I do not know where it comes from here I put my last seeds that were of less good quality than the others: some dehydrated, not pregerminated ... Otherwise we will see the harvest.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 10/06/18, 01:39

Other plantations:
2018-06-06 19.55.56.jpg
melons
2018-06-07 08.34.31.jpg
Potimarron (we can see a slug on the mustard bypass!)

I'm (re) asking about the size of these vegetables. A pipe ?
0 x