A vegetable meadow?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: A vegetable meadow?

by to be chafoin » 29/07/18, 22:42

Some summer photos ....

Garden side :
2018-07-28 10.46.26.jpg
Potatoes: at the bottom Charlottes, in front of Binje

I picked up the charlottes: 6kg approx. In front of the pdt were cultivated differently: butage before adding the hay. The pdt have therefore more quickly dry without a goal which seems logical (less protected by the land) ... we will see performance and quality question.

Meadow side:

2018-07-28 15.38.26.jpg
Meadow plank: front aubergine, chard, corn, behind unburied potatoes and tomato
These pdt ended up leaving despite "extreme" conditions: ugly seeds, and put under the hay late ... They show a less protruding development, slower, than elsewhere but perhaps more balanced: they have suffered the attack of mildew, the stems (although thinner) have sagged less than elsewhere. Another note: there were also pdt in front but who never went out. This is why I transplanted the other vegetables there in the gaps. At this point I had made a preparation when mowing the meadow much faster, while I had basically cut the grass very close and scratched the surface to degrade the moss. Where the pdts lifted they did it by the hay side and / or with a little help from me. I still haven't watered this board except for a few salads and Swiss chard once. Yet it does not seem to suffer too much from the drought.

2018-07-28 15.38.51.jpg
Melon
This is the only plan that has finally settled (the other 2 punctured garden side). The leaves are very green, despite a rather rickety appearance (we see a tiny fruit near the base)! Will I ever be able to eat a drinking melon?

2018-07-28 15.39.04.jpg
Tomatoes
The above three feet vegetate rather more than less (compared to that near the pdt) but when I remember their planting ...! (see above in the thread)

2018-07-28 15.42.53.jpg
Other tomatoes and potimarron maybe
Above is better but the location is different, more in the shade, and the planting later. Maybe the tighter spacing played too ... Yet again I would not bet very expensive on these plans made and given by a neighbor at the last moment!
2018-06-06 19.39.42.jpg
at the plantation!

The feet now show tomato leaves of a good proportion and a beautiful green, on the other hand they go up little and there are relatively few fruits so I always wait impatiently to eat my first tomato (other than cherry tomato) ...!
2018-07-28 15.43.13.jpg
view from the other side
Conclusion: direct meadow in extreme phenoculture, it "works" but you should not be in a hurry!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/07/18, 10:01

to be chafoin wrote:Conclusion: direct meadow in extreme phenoculture, it "works" but you should not be in a hurry!

1) Indeed!

2) I am surprised by the "dark green" side of your vegetables, but indeed, the "little fruit" ...

This leads me to think that:

a) It nitrifies en masse - maybe even too much! Or more exactly, before it was dry, it nitrified en masse ...

b) suddenly, it grows too much towards the vegetative and not enough towards the flowering

c) ... what could be added that lack of water causes some vegetables to limit the fruit muse!

There, we are in the interpretation of what we see: no certainty, just "we allow ourselves to think".

If you have water, try "all other things being equal": water every other foot and see!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 30/07/18, 19:09

Yes, why not I'm going to try ... It's not really new, I always had the impression in previous years that there was an excess of nitrogen in this soil: a strong development of the leaves at the expense of flowers (many of which dried, I do not know if it is linked) and therefore fruit. Would the reduced size have the same cause? Could an excess of nitrogen be offset by a higher proportion of leaf-like carbonaceous material brought by mulching? But here are other photos that offset a little:

Garden side
2018-07-28 15.39.51.jpg
Roma
Here we always see the beautiful color and large leaves of Roma but here the production of fruit is quite correct. For the size, I do not know why but I have the impression that they collide with a glass ceiling!
2018-07-28 15.39.39.jpg
in front of Charlottes at the end of their life to harvest
behind tomatoes (2 beef heart then Roma)
The most amazing thing is these two Beef hearts, next to them, which are high up with small leaves, all curled up, almost withered and light green so that I thought at first that they lacked water. ..but no it is not that. And then fruit side too! What differences! Influenced by new info and readings on mushrooms, it looks like beef hearts have not found mushrooms! But hey it's probably something else, I do not see why, a priori! The mushrooms do not select the variety I imagine! Have you ever noticed such differences between two varieties / plants?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/07/18, 20:15

to be chafoin wrote:The most amazing thing is these two Beef hearts, next to them, which are high up with small leaves, all curled up, almost withered and light green so that I thought at first that they lacked water. ..but no it is not that. And then fruit side too! What differences! Influenced by new info and readings on mushrooms, it looks like beef hearts have not found mushrooms! But hey it's probably something else, I do not see why, a priori! The mushrooms do not select the variety I imagine! Have you ever noticed such differences between two varieties / plants?

Well, the authentic "beef hearts" always have that withered air, leaves rolled up, stunted ... At first, I was surprised too. And I got used to it. This year again. In the greenhouse, she gives the impression of wanting to die for 2 months. And still produces. And even big fruits !!!

Photographed this morning, right in the middle of the image [on the left, the strand is one of the multiple branches of a "false heart of an ox", an F1 hybrid called Corazon, which has the "long life" germ. which gives it a tougher skin and allows long distance transport. By the way, it's been twice that, having visitors who have stayed here, I gave them a tasting of a Corazon dish, without saying anything before, except: "it's a test, tell me what you think "- and both families found it" good "to" very good ", a" taste that forms a bit late "]:

DSC_0111.JPG

[I don't know if real beef hearts get mycorrhizal! I also asked myself the question. But I don't think so. I think it's more their "general look", it's like that. Since they are well watered, therefore without lack of water, they still have this bewildered air !!!]

http://www.tomatofifou.fr/recherche-var ... 329-detail

By the way, note the abundance of different "beef hearts":

https://essembio.com/categories/243-coeur-de-boeuf
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/07/18, 20:49

to be chafoin wrote:Here we always see the beautiful color and large leaves of Roma but here the production of fruit is quite correct. For the size, I do not know why but I have the impression that they collide with a glass ceiling! 2018-07-28 15.39.39.jpg The most astonishing is these two Coeur de Boeuf, next, who are high up with small leaves, all curled up, almost withered and light green so that I thought at first that it lacked water ... but no it's not that. And then fruit side too! What differences! Influenced by new info and readings on mushrooms, it looks like beef hearts have not found mushrooms! But hey it's probably something else, I do not see why, a priori! The mushrooms do not select the variety I imagine! Have you ever noticed such differences between two varieties / plants?

the roma is a late and it bushy it does not grow in height indefinitely, I do not remember the term, so if you cut the greedy you deprive you of a nice harvest
I do not want to cultivate any less productive beef heartbeats, little fruit on the stalks that have to climb very high, their always thirsty aspect is characteristic I had the same one last year (I was given the feet ) there I think I have black Crimea, very beautiful fruits that start to blush
the choice of the variety to its importance, for me in the north it will be of the hasty or very hasty, or so a very precocious sowing and one even 2 transplants before going out in the garden, and also another way to lead the culture
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 31/07/18, 17:18

Problem!
I resolved last night to go draw water at the well. And that's not that I go back in my watering can full of water, a dead gray mouse. I did not see well but I have the impression that there are others at the bottom.

Question : can I use this water to water the garden?

The mouse was not decomposed, certainly considering the coldness of the water, but I still wonder: would not I be able to contaminate the vegetables if the mouse was sick?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/07/18, 17:27

Moindreffor wrote:the roma is a late and it bushy it does not grow in height indefinitely, I do not remember the term, so if you cut the greedy you deprive you of a nice harvest
I do not want to cultivate any less productive beef heartbeats, little fruit on the stalks that have to climb very high, their always thirsty aspect is characteristic I had the same one last year (I was given the feet ) there I think I have black Crimea, very beautiful fruits that start to blush

1) Roma is a "determined growth" tomato. This gene has been introduced into "industrial" tomatoes so that everything can be left to ripen and harvest with "combines". Most varieties of heirloom or modern tomatoes are indeterminate in growth. As long as the cold (or disease) does not shoot them, they grow ...

2) You are confusing: it is the authentic heart of beef which is "soft" (it is even its signature). The fakes are "perfect". See the photos that I put I do not know where ... The branch of the false is "perfect"; the branches of the true one are "ramolo".
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/07/18, 17:33

to be chafoin wrote:
The mouse was not decomposed, certainly considering the coldness of the water, but I still wonder: would not I be able to contaminate the vegetables if the mouse was sick?

Rodents can be vectors of some very rare diseases, but extremely hot (leptospirosis and co), very difficult to treat.

I would not water on plants, or with the foot, with risk of projections on the vegetables.

On the other hand, I think that by watering the earth (for example via a furrow or a ditch; you make an "anti-corruption" receptacle = a tuft of hay, you pour through, then you lead the water near your feet; don't worry, underground, mycorrhizae and roots will take care of recovering it ...), without contact with vegetables, will preserve you. I am not aware of diseases that cross the "species barrier" between animals and plants ...

That's just my opinion.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 08/08/18, 23:25

A use of hedge bindweed in the kitchen gardenIf you do not have a link to tie your tomatoes or other vegetables, kill two birds with one stone! Cut hedge bindweed that grows well at this time: choose the rather thick strands that are a little brown, red or tear off the braids of several strands that the bindweed lacks to do by itself. Tear off the foliage and use the slips of liana thus cleared to stake the tomatoes (make 3 simple knots).
2018-07-09 18.48.22.jpg
Like wicker, bindweed will harden on drying and maintain your vegetables!
it costs that slab, it holds, it is ecological, it does not attack vegetables: what does the people ask?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/08/18, 18:01

I'll have to sow some bindweed then : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)