A vegetable meadow?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: A vegetable meadow?

by to be chafoin » 22/05/18, 01:12

izentrop wrote:This is the role of CIPAN in agriculture https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_i ... ge_d'azote.

Sorry for the rest, I was writing my message!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 22/05/18, 01:14

izentrop wrote:Did correct, but the problem will be more in the winter, when the soil life is slow and a board is no longer busy while being covered with hay.
Nitrates not absorbed by the previous crop could be leached, but it is more a problem of shallow soil, sandy soil, plowed (accelerated mineralization), lacking humus and left bare.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 22/05/18, 01:16

There is the use of green winter fertilizers, it sounds good and more like a tongue twister. I have experienced this winter; vetch and alfalfa for example.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 22/05/18, 01:19

My land is clay but wet or flood (very old bed of the Garonne) with a deep drain to almost only 30 meters from my garden ... so if I listen you should take it into account!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 22/05/18, 01:59

Compared to my soil, here is a picture I took in the heart of this winter green manure crop I was talking about.
2018-05-09 16.21.28.jpg
in the heart of vetch and rye

The green manure was badly started this fall but this spring it is relatively well distributed. What is this black film, which I have already seen in other places? A biofilm?

We also see the characteristic signs of a clayey earth: the withdrawal slits.
2018-05-09 16.21.50.jpg
in the heart of evil, Charpentier!
Here is the finger but sometimes in the summer I can slip the thickness of my hand! What damage it must cause on the roots and the mushrooms of the cultures! And does not this promote leaching? Good to relativize, as soon as it rains enough these slots are reduced.
I tell myself that the thick canopy could protect at least part of the soil of these tears, better than a living cover. Here these cracks may be due to evapotranspiration. Indeed I was amazed to see how the soil was quickly dehydrated at the foot of these fertilizers compared to other plots. Moreover to tear them away, you have to choose your moment otherwise it's cotton and proscribed by lazy people! However, there is talk of a positive effect on the maintenance of moisture but here I understood that on my soil this moisture brought by the living cover was dangerously counterbalanced by its evapotranspiration! In my home (!) We see these slots even under the trees: it gives an idea of ​​the strength of evapotranspiration!

So I would like to try to combine the living green cover of green manure on the thick hay cover (we put the cutlery somehow!) But I see that the sowing on the fly is complicated (or impossible without removing the cover) for Phenoculture ... maybe green manure lines? This is also what I tried recently with fenugreek and I think my line is rising! to be continued
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 22/05/18, 02:27

I have the same floor.

If you cover the crevices
The ground lives again instead of being in perpetual suffering

That the cover is grass, grasses, various flowers (pleasure garden)
or hay or straw or ... "" weeds "" (garden or pleasure garden in winter)

In the path of passage (tracto, car, truck and tutti quanti) there are plenty of crevasses that open at the slightest opportunity of drought and the water drips in case of rain

We can see the difference between the two sections (winter photo)

0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 22/05/18, 10:04

Yes, the problem raised by Didier, if I understand correctly, is that leaving the ground covered without crop or plant life, there is a risk of nitrate leaching (or eutrophication if the cover is too rich? ) ...
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 22/05/18, 11:58

Did67 wrote:
Hay according to my calculations brings more N, P and K than manure or the compost, for the same weight carried

the same weight carried ...
for the compost, I suppose you are talking about there, not the weight of the finished product ("ripe" compost at the exit of the composter) but the weight of the "heap" that we put in the composter (green waste, etc.), therefore the weight before transformation (before strong reduction in volume) ???
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/05/18, 14:47

No. "Finished" compost ... It's roughly 50% of the fleet! And still a lot of "vegetable matter in the process of decomposing" (we are still far from humic substances, even if there is already a little). The content of fertilizing elements (N, P, K, etc.) has become somewhat concentrated, of course, due to the loss of mass (a substantial part of the C has lost its way in the form of CO2 when it has been heated - or even if it does not heat up, the slower, cold decomposition releases C as CO2.

What makes the "richness" of hay is the 85% (at least) of dry matter. So even if reduced to dry weight it is a little less rich than compost (reduced to dry weight), in the end, it is more ...

If we compare to the fresh material brought, we are in "not much", so much we carry around the fleet when we carry our household waste (90 to 95%, often, with the exception of a few "skins" .. .). When I balance buckets and buckets of waste on my 20 cm of hay, that represents a few% (ten at most), of the total dry matter "consumed" by my soil organisms!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 22/05/18, 16:02

Did67 wrote:No. "Finished" compost ... It's roughly 50% of the fleet! And still a lot of "vegetable matter in the process of decomposing" (we are still far from humic substances, even if there is already a little). The content of fertilizing elements (N, P, K, etc.) has become somewhat concentrated, of course, due to the loss of mass (a substantial part of the C has lost its way in the form of CO2 when it has been heated - or even if it does not heat up, the slower, cold decomposition releases C as CO2.

What makes the "richness" of hay is the 85% (at least) of dry matter. So even if reduced to dry weight it is a little less rich than compost (reduced to dry weight), in the end, it is more ...

If we compare to the fresh material brought, we are in "not much", so much we carry around the fleet when we carry our household waste (90 to 95%, often, with the exception of a few "skins" .. .). When I balance buckets and buckets of waste on my 20 cm of hay, that represents a few% (ten at most), of the total dry matter "consumed" by my soil organisms!

it's always hard to imagine, as we are praised everywhere the qualities of the famous compost, especially homemade compost.

50% water still in? I thought that almost all the water was evaporated during composting ...

When it comes to hay, does it still contain a high percentage of fiber, more than in compost?

household waste, it must be a bit like lawn mowing, right? (water content, nitrogen content, fiber poverty ...)
0 x