New garden probably late?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: New garden probably late?

by Did67 » 15/04/18, 21:31

When you don't have the "optimal" solution at hand, you can try a "sub-optimal" alternative:

a) The living is resilient and takes a lot of shocks! He goes around the obstacles that are put to him.

b) So try to find straw. Which will be a material too little nitrogen.

You correct this defect with a little "organic" nitrogen fertilizer and / or grass clippings (in a thin layer, repeated, with drying to avoid fermentations).

Mixture based, roughly speaking, of 1 kg of hay + 10 kg of fresh grass clippings (not dried) ...

And that will work too.
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 17/04/18, 17:19

Thanks for the advice.

That said, this morning while going to the dump, I met someone who was throwing ... hay : Cheesy: we made a transfer from his trailer to mine and I have to see him again on Saturday for the same amount.

I do not know if that will be enough, I will already spread out what I have this afternoon. If that's not enough I'll use your method.
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 28/04/18, 14:17

Hello everyone.

I make a small assessment, just to give a feedback experience (and now that I had the advice, I think it will be pretty rude not to say what I did)

Hay: that's what was the most steep. Without my stroke of luck falling on someone who was throwing it to the dump, I think I should have dropped for this year. There I think I can do the season even if it may be right. Moral: next year I go early to look for it.

I spread the whole thing 2 weeks ago, a good thick layer, on the other hand the hay was very compacted so I aired it a little ... probably too much since in some places, quackgrass managed to break through. Nothing serious but you will have to be careful afterwards. After 15 days, the ground below is not bare, the rest of the grass decomposes and the soil remains very compact (my soil is very very clayey, to give an idea, the name of the hamlet next door is "Pottery" : Mrgreen: ). No doubt that in a month or two I would see a change. Otherwise, the soil is very wet under the hay layer.

When it comes to planting, I put lettuce this morning (commercially bought seedlings) and I sow carrots and I put the potatoes this afternoon. It's still too cold for tomatoes. For potatoes, I just put them on the ground with the adequate hay layer as advised by Didier in his book ... for lettuce, I did not water after planting.

I'll tell you what all this has given. Have a nice week end
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/04/18, 08:53

Silhat wrote:
Moral: next year I go early to look for it.

.... quackgrass was able to break through.

I just take these two points:

1) Yes, it will end up becoming a problem ... In Alsace, where I have a lot of fans, there is a shortage !!! But I think there are still deposits to be exploited: protected sites with late mowing; I have the haymakers, there are often looted rolls that have taken water, etc ... I still know several places where rollers hang out, damaged ... We must find the owners ...

Perhaps also if the market develops, abandoned meadows, in the middle of the mountains, will they be mown again and perhaps this will lead to "maintaining open landscapes"?

2) It would have happened anyway! Shot on to have pieces of rhizome. It will settle more and more between soil and hay (where it is the richest, and when the soil is more loose, you will tear pieces longer and longer, it is less twisted than the bindweed, but it takes a little perseverance!).

Even though quackgrass exists in the meadows, I usually say that, like bindweed, it is often the bill to pay for previous practices that have spread (beaker, tiller, who cut it!).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/18, 08:59

...rollers looted...
: Shock: :D
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 29/04/18, 09:10

Shit, where does this Anglicism [spoiled!] Come from ??? In French, spolier has another meaning (to strip someone) ...

Damned, so.

Read hay spoiled !
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 04/05/18, 17:15

Hello everyone.

Following my adventures that turn pretty badly, it must be said ... 12 salads, I have left 3 should leave me tonight: I have an invasion of wireworms, they eat me everything. I do not have any illusions when it comes to potatoes, it's going to be the fiasco.

With my dear and tender who is not at all a fan of hay (she finds that "it's dirty") and who will STRONGLY encourage me to use more "traditional" methods if I mess up, it is a little depressed.

For the wireworms I do not know what to do: I do not have chickens to eat them and I do not want insecticides (especially to avoid exposing myself or - especially - to expose my dogs) when to the method of carefully returning and aeration the earth, I think I understood that this is not too much place here to talk about it : Cheesy: . If you have an idea, I'm interested.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/05/18, 20:00

It was a meadow before ????

Because such infestations are not trivial, even if there are often!

Don't cause a crisis for a hay story. We often had "zones" in our vegetable garden, each in their own way ... And after two or three years, things changed ... My wife refused for a long time to throw organic household waste on the surface and continued her compost. .

For wireworm larvae, it will not change anything! Give him half, take off the hay, at least to avoid this suspicion! It's about last year's laying; the larvae have hatched and they are hungry !!! They did not come in the hay.

http://www.gerbeaud.com/jardin/fiches/taupin.php

At this level of infestation, I would recommend biological control with nematodes (tiny parasitic round worms):

https://www.manomano.fr/insecticide-et- ... HNEALw_wcB

As well as pheromones for sexual confusion and limiting spawning:

https://www.manomano.fr/insecticide-et- ... id=3014732
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 05/05/18, 15:15

Bonjour.

My land, originally, was a field grown in intensive fashion. After my arrival it was just a no-go area left abandoned with two or three passes of the ugly tiller in the space of 10 years.

My half does not incriminate the straw for the wireworms, she just worshiped the god Round up ... and I would not be more surprised than that if I learned that she had recovered a stock of defoliant from the war of the Vietnam : Cheesy:. I'll take a look at the products you quote, it may be possible to limit the case for next year.
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 05/05/18, 16:02

Didier, stop me if I'm wrong, but it's not those worms, the wire-eaters, that we trap with a few potatoes cut in half that we put in the ground and every day, we come to raise the to who are in to remove them?
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...