The Potager du Sloth: the book

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Le Potager du Sloth: the book

by Did67 » 22/10/18, 19:00

One after another two very bad reviews on Amazon; it will be hard to put back Semoun!

10-22-18 Screen Shot at 06.57 PM Amazon.PNG
Screen Shot 10-22-18 at 06.57 PM reviews Amazon.PNG (100.83 Kio) 1429 times viewed
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/10/18, 22:36

Tonight is tight!

2018-10-22_22h35_03 amazon.png
2018-10-22_22h35_03 amazon.png (365.4 Kio) Viewed 1412 times
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 23/10/18, 00:19

Did67 wrote:One after another two very bad reviews on Amazon; it will be hard to put back Semoun!

There are lots of people who make fun of life on the ground who do not believe that it can be important and others who have grasped all the essentials and that it fascinates ...

Should we at all costs attract the attention of the first?
That is the question
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 23/10/18, 09:17

Did67 wrote:One after another two very bad reviews on Amazon; it will be hard to put back Semoun!

in these 2 comments what to remember
the first, I was looking for a way to decrease my workload
so he made the observation that his way of working was not the right level of work, but he is not ready to change it, so yes he did not find the miracle solution expected
the second
you will be more cultured than your radishes, but I do not know if you will harvest baskets
so he admits on the whole that he has learned a lot of things or that we can learn a lot, but he is not ready to question his way of gardening, he has not tested but is not sure that we will reap the baskets

so in the end, we are facing 2 people camped on their positions, and who have not found the solution to work less while remaining in bare ground, in short he did not want to be lazy (and work more their gray matter) he was just fed up with getting bored in the garden and wanted to faignanter a bit with just reading your book
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 23/10/18, 12:16

Difficult I think to really know who the people behind these reviews are and their ways of gardening and gardening with just a few lines of comment.

As for the repetitive side, I find that the criticism is right. This did not stop me from appreciating the book, the proof being that I am currently reviewing it.

In my opinion, this may be because the book was written quickly and in the mode of orality, if I can put it that way. It is the defect of the oratorical quality of the author who knows so well express itself in the spontaneity of the speech, as testifies the videos of the Youtube channel. But the orality works by loops, where the writing tries rather to avoid repetitions ...

Without giving any advice, we can suppose that this point will improve in the second book, if more time is granted, especially in the re-reading phases ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/10/18, 13:12

to be chafoin wrote:
As for the repetitive side, I find that the criticism is right.

I saw more in their reviews that it was "hollow", "blah".

There are a few repetitions, but I see it more related to a difficulty inherent in a systemic approach: to describe a complex system where all inter-reactions are, strictly speaking, impossible.

For example, if you treat bacteria before fungi, there are interactions between the two. If you don't mention it, it's very wobbly. If you wait for the fungi, you have to "come back" to the bacteria ...

By definition of a complex system, linear and complete writing is impossible. Imagine a "thing" where there are arrows all over the place.

I had a lot of pain on that. And sometimes blocked.

Criticism therefore also hides a wish for simple things: "if it is raining, the weather is bad!". But in the ground, in the living, there is at the same time drought, sun, rains, storms, etc ... One thing and its opposite. This "tension" is, in my opinion, even one of the basic principles of living things!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/10/18, 13:20

to be chafoin wrote:... the proof being that I am currently going through it again.

I regret not having, in an intro, urging the reader to continue or "skip" passages when it bothers him or is too complicated for him, and persuade him to come back later. As things become clear, others that we did not understand become accessible ...

It remains a rather difficult book - but that was a conscious choice. Writing a book "with no content" other than rough recipes didn't interest me at all. There are tons of them. Add one? Why ? Consume paper?

I totally accept that some people tell me that I had set the bar too high.

But it would not happen to me to say about a book that I did not understand that it's blah blah ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/10/18, 13:27

By the way, 13 hours this 23 / 10 / 2018, and it's reversed:

2018-10-23_13h26_09Amazon.png
2018-10-23_13h26_09Amazon.png (365.72 KIO) Accessed 1365 times
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 23/10/18, 16:45

Did67 wrote:
to be chafoin wrote:... the proof being that I am currently going through it again.

I regret not having, in an intro, urging the reader to continue or "skip" passages when it bothers him or is too complicated for him, and persuade him to come back later. As things become clear, others that we did not understand become accessible ...

It remains a rather difficult book - but that was a conscious choice. Writing a book "with no content" other than rough recipes didn't interest me at all. There are tons of them. Add one? Why ? Consume paper?

I totally accept that some people tell me that I had set the bar too high.

But it would not happen to me to say about a book that I did not understand that it's blah blah ...

honestly I did not comment on your book, because being a reader of this thread even before the idea of ​​writing a book, I already knew almost the content even before it appeared, I'll even could spend me buying your book
but having read the first 500 pagent of this thread when I arrived, I had only one desire to have a good condensed and that's what I found in your book
everything was there and far from being a summary, everything was taken over and detailed and as Chafoin I think read it more calmly, to impregnate me even better

so yes to read dotted for some, but especially come back, to comprehend in its entirety as we must approach our way of gardening in its entirety and not stop at this or that aspect by neglecting some , I will not say an easy book by its quality and the one who sees blah or hollow there is precisely because he did not know how to put himself at the right level of reading

and I hope that the second will be of the same level,

otherwise like what the effect "silence that grows" passed, you take your head back, announcement effects that you do not need, which tends to prove the quality of your book, we buy it for its content and not for its author
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 23/10/18, 17:57

I think the fact that the sales are holding up is the effect of word of mouth ... And so overall readers "find something" there (maybe not always what they expected?).

Moreover that people are not satisfied does not shock me in any way ...

Tonight, Semoun is back in front!
0 x