The Potager du Sloth: the book

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Le Potager du Sloth: the book

by Did67 » 14/07/18, 19:22

Sometimes severe, I find (people's perceptions are sometimes curious - pretentious, "miracle" ...?):

07-14-18 Screen Shot at 07.15 PM Amazon.PNG Comment
Screen Shot 07-14-18 at 07.15 PM Comment Amazon.PNG (129.9 Kio) Viewed 3135 times
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/07/18, 23:05

Did67 wrote:Sometimes severe, I find (people's perceptions are sometimes curious - pretentious, "miracle" ...?):

in my opinion he had to pass your book to the tiller and mix all that with Bordeaux mixture before composting : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
QuentinDida
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by QuentinDida » 16/07/18, 00:45

Did67 wrote:Sometimes severe, I find (people's perceptions are sometimes curious - pretentious, "miracle" ...?):

There is undoubtedly something like frustration that clearly "leaks through" the writing of this commentary. I take for support my experience, which is that of a total ignoramus who begins to take an interest in plants. From the vegetable I came to the vegetable garden. In itself, I do not care enough about the idea of ​​the vegetable garden, and the idea of ​​growing tomatoes does not particularly excite me, it is only that it participates in the living and that therefore it enters into a set of things that fascinate etc. Well. I think that, classically, and proportionally, people who make a vegetable garden do not a priori have this same enthusiasm for plants and are precisely excited by the idea of ​​making their own vegetables, or in any case reduce the vegetable garden to the production stricto sensu of consumable material (perhaps out of pride, "the first, the biggest tomato etc." or out of habit, perhaps for example that having a vegetable garden seems to go without saying for someone who lives in the countryside and that it is a kind of social, cultural necessity ...).

It seems to me that this way of coming to the vegetable garden is the occasion of a rich misunderstanding between those who use it as an opportunity to think, to experiment, to understand - this inducing potentially, optimized, growing harvests etc. . and those who just want to grow tomatoes. In my case, I was absolutely delighted to come across with the book of Le Potager du Laesseux on detailed explanations of the biochemical mechanisms that prevailed in the plant, as well as passages devoted to soil biology that asked me to drastically reduce my wpm ratio to understand what I was reading. Then being able to bring out my "Praise of the Plant" by F. Hallé that I had read from cover to cover without understanding anything the first time, I blessed these long explanations which allowed me to no longer focus on the " technical details "that constitute the methods and principles of culture and to reason more fully; this with a certain confidence acquired with regard to these mechanisms at work which are less and less obscure and unknown to me.

Therefore, I think we can explain by the misunderstanding this gentleman's comment, as we could probably explain many events in our lives. Finally. I will testify again as a recent novice in the thing to say that although I now know what plants do with nitrogen, carbon, what the interacting bacteria are used for, or mycorrhizal fungi, than the haploid phase of plants is contained in their diploid phase and most of the time a parasite of it, I can't help but before doing something in the garden to search the internet "if it is possible to do it". "Can I prepare such and such a plant in pots?" "At what period should one sow such other etc.?". In the end, I come across the same answers almost all the time, and, with confidence, taking precedence over doubt, I lose this need for guidance, or even the comfort that is the use of websites and manuals in all kinds (which I have never really consulted, but I imagine that the culture sheets like "rustica" on the internet are of the same kind as those that we used to look for in the big books paid a fortune to stay stocked 99 % of the time - much like cars - in a garage corner). You say it in your book, you didn't mean to make a gardening guide, and everyone will agree with that.

Only, I suppose it's common language to start by saying "don't believe what I'm telling you", "there is no single truth", "everyone will have the answer in their own garden. "to then provide turnkey culture protocols, apparently ready to use. It is always difficult to differentiate a priori the smooth talker from the honest man, and perhaps the writer of this commentary resented you for not having screwed him as he would have liked, explaining d '' first that you did not intend to create a dogma or a new religion (as it should be said at first, honesty or sincerity combined), but then making the mistake of keeping your word and do what you said you would do. I won't go into too much detail on this parallel, but it is perhaps the same mechanism at work when you vote for a candidate and know that he will not keep his promises (of course , this argument is completely obsolete since our current president, virtuous as much as one can be, and as the media very rightly and very punctually recall it, "keeps all its commitments with the French" - with some supplements of souls in addition who are undoubtedly only an anticipation of the future desires of us, his "elector.ic.es")

To conclude: I think it would be necessary to make the psychological study of the rhetoric of this gentleman (or this lady, I do not know), but there is without doubt projection on the book of its own doubts, uncertainties and incapacities to act in confidence, or at least with the ersatz confidence necessary for any action that follows the removal of certain intellectual deficiencies, if I dare to say it.
0 x
"Enjoy and make you come, without hurting either you or anyone, I think that's the whole moral"
Chamfort.
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by phil12 » 16/07/18, 09:49

QuentinDida wrote:

There is undoubtedly something like frustration that clearly "leaks through" the writing of this commentary. I take for support my experience, which is that of a total ignoramus who begins to take an interest in plants. From the vegetable I came to the vegetable garden. In itself, I do not care enough about the idea of ​​the vegetable garden, and the idea of ​​growing tomatoes does not particularly excite me, it is only that it participates in the living and that therefore it enters into a set of things that fascinate etc. Well. I think that, classically, and proportionally, people who make a vegetable garden do not a priori have this same enthusiasm for plants and are precisely excited by the idea of ​​making their own vegetables, or in any case reduce the vegetable garden to the production stricto sensu of consumable material (perhaps out of pride, "the first, the biggest tomato etc." or out of habit, perhaps for example that having a vegetable garden seems to go without saying for someone who lives in the countryside and that it is a kind of social, cultural necessity ...).

Bonjour,

Your approach is very intellectualized (you say for example> from the vegetable to the vegetable garden, which could appear in your speech to be a bit of a regression ??), what you call social or cultural necessity for many is more prosaic a economic aid to produce vegetables and for others:

- a guarantee of having products with a strong traceability :-)
- organic or more than organic for some
- Fresh picked food at full maturity with optimum flavor and organoleptic qualities

And for your servant it is especially:

- a creative pleasure the jubilation of sowing, protecting, following and seeing the life flourish, when we see the wonders produced by nature, the pale tests of our so-called artistic genies make me smile!
- meditative outdoor physical activity
- a participation in hummingbird to limit the ecological breakage of the nature.

And even if I have plants that feed the human being and my ecosystem with their fruits, even if I agree with you all this is only bio mass, but a beautiful apple tree for example (because in my system I do not dissociate orchard, nursery shrubs, meadow, hedgerows and vegetable garden) gives us a fireworks of flowers to feed our soul, bio mass for the planet, food for insects and other soil microorganisms , a provender for us and pleasure, life what, why look for lunch at 14 hours you eat your sweet apple in full consciousness by sharing it with your little son all that rocked by the songs of the winged inhabitants of your foliage and there you touch in the moment another dimension of your being, quite simply, that is enough for me.

In short my garden is my best friend old!

Have a good week .
2 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/
Did67

by Did67 » 16/07/18, 10:32

Like what, it is difficult to deal with all aspects of a thing in 300 pages ... Mission impossible.

For my part, there is what is - as the basis of our actions. So as not to sink into beliefs. A cloud is water vapor. It "comes" from the evaporation of water. It is likely to produce precipitation, water, fog, snow, hail ... And thunderstorms - lightning does not, as we believe, THAT "fall" from the sky, it sometimes rises there too !!!

No need to pray to Jupiter to send thunderbolt or save my vineyard. Useless, like the Gauls (is it true?), To fear that the sky falls on our heads. He will not fall ...

And then we can admire the clouds, their changing shapes. A plane that "gets lost" ... It is even recommended.

I only wanted to speak of the first point.

I should perhaps have specified that I did not want to "castrate" anyone from the possibility of adding their musings, observations, poetry! On the contrary, by freeing the body from arduous and tiring tasks, I hope to open up the possibility for the mind to "dream", to admire, to play its grandchildren (instead of putting them in danger) ...
1 x
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fl78960 » 16/07/18, 11:31

I grew up in the countryside, gardening (not too much vegetable) beside my father ... so it is natural that I gave him my copy of your book.

Comment from my father:
"I got a little bored on parts that I knew (he is a veterinarian / researcher / microbiologist / retired), but it's very well explained and it's great, I'm going to review a lot of things in my way of working at garden"

I who just wanted to have his "professional" point of view, I did not imagine that at his age (78 years) it would trigger a revolution in his gardening activities : Cheesy:
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/07/18, 13:22

fl78960 wrote:
"I got a little bored on parts I knew (he is a veterinarian / researcher / microbiologist / retired), ...

Obviously a veterinarian (who has probably followed the same beginning of course as me - preparatory classes?) Will be bored! I tried to make this understandable for someone who would be motivated but would only no or little knowledge in biology (and none in microbiology). It was a "big gap"!

What is interesting is to note the following.

a) Indeed, I do not invent anything (as one or the other troll has reproached me in comments on Youtube) ... It is obvious ... They are even so trivial knowledge that your father has to be bored!

b) Already, it confirms that I do not write (or not a lot) of bullshit - and that's just that, it's already not so bad ... I've oversimplified, avoiding falling into error ! Apparently, it's acquired.

c) "Raw" knowledge is not enough. They must be "assembled" into a coherent thought system. From this will emerge a thoughtful action plan. The pieces of a puzzle do not give you the picture. And yet, you have them! The small blue part, which you took for a piece of the sky, after assembly, turns out perhaps to be a reflection in a lake, therefore water!

This is what I call "putting it all to music"!

d) And indeed, it is the way of putting the puzzle together in a living vegetable garden that opens up a new vision for the reader (and not a ready-made recipe!). It touches me that your father, with his knowledge and his experience in the vegetable garden, was thus "impacted".
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/07/18, 13:38

By the way, he went back to 1ère place, even in front of books on doggies or the moon ... 623ème in the general classification.

Perhaps an effect of the article published in "Bonnes Terres" (page 44). To read online here: https://fr.calameo.com/read/0050515791121239264a6. Or download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eta4wtvi8or60 ... 8.pdf?dl=0

Screen Shot 07-16-18 at 01.33 PM Amazon.PNG Ranking
Screen Shot 07-16-18 at 01.33 PM Amazon.PNG Ranking (747.77 Kio) Viewed 2990 times
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 17/07/18, 02:19

Did67 wrote:By the way, he went back to 1ère place, even in front of books on doggies or the moon ... 623ème in the general classification.

Perhaps an effect of the article published in "Bonnes Terres" (page 44). To read online here: https://fr.calameo.com/read/0050515791121239264a6. Or download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eta4wtvi8or60 ... 8.pdf?dl=0

Screen Shot 07-16-18 at 01.33 PM Amazon.PNG Ranking

Very nice article: simple and clear.

To be read to those who do not understand anything about the direction you are taking and by which a number of commentators are passing :!:
0 x
Diabolorent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Diabolorent » 17/07/18, 08:33

phil12 wrote:And for your servant it is especially:

- a creative pleasure the jubilation of sowing, protecting, following and seeing the life flourish, when we see the wonders produced by nature, the pale tests of our so-called artistic genies make me smile!
- meditative outdoor physical activity
- a participation in hummingbird to limit the ecological breakage of the nature.

And even if I have plants that feed the human being and my ecosystem with their fruits, even if I agree with you all this is only bio mass, but a beautiful apple tree for example (because in my system I do not dissociate orchard, nursery shrubs, meadow, hedgerows and vegetable garden) gives us a fireworks of flowers to feed our soul, bio mass for the planet, food for insects and other soil microorganisms , a provender for us and pleasure, life what, why look for lunch at 14 hours you eat your sweet apple in full consciousness by sharing it with your little son all that rocked by the songs of the winged inhabitants of your foliage and there you touch in the moment another dimension of your being, simply, that's enough for me.

In short my garden is my best friend old!

Have a good week .

Everything is here !!!

Thank you for sharing : Wink:
0 x
"It is not a sign of good mental health to be well adapted to a sick society" Jiddu Krishnamurti.