Wind turbine for pumping, I dry ...

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Antacmea
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wind turbine for pumping, I dry ...

by Antacmea » 27/01/18, 19:56

Hello everyone, sorry to land on this forum like a hair on the soup but I read this forum for quite some time and I thought maybe I could find a solution to my problem here.
That's the story : Cheesy:
Maybe ten years ago I had put myself in the head to make a small wind turbine just for fun, I made the alternator with recycled wire on old electrical equipment and some permanent magnets , an old washing machine motor ... In short, a hack with three ends of string. As in fact I did this without really having any use for it, I put it on a siding.
Today, I have just recovered a small piece of land for a vegetable patch and the watering channel is a little lower than the level of the piece of land.
I had the idea to bring out my relic, to raise the water in a tank for watering, I bought a small direct current pump and plugged into the wind turbine to test, it worked nickel ... About 10 seconds : Lol: The pump burned out as soon as the rotor took a few turns. But it worked!
Encouraged by the experience so I took a more powerful pump (15W) and there it is great but during the tests with the drill : Oops: I did not push the rotor very quickly, for fear of grilling this one too, it already pulses a lot at a speed that I estimate at around 200 - 250 rpm pifometriques :P
In fact I would like to make an assembly with several pumps in parallel but it would be necessary that the second starts when the wind turbine accelerates to preserve the first. I do not know if it is clear but I am sure it must be quite simple, but I am a quiche in electronics.
Volà, thank you for your help and sorry for the novel, I got carried away : Mrgreen:
1 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Wind turbine for pumping, I dry ...

by Gaston » 29/01/18, 15:18

Hello and well done for your experiments :D

First of all, I would say that the best wind turbine for pumping is the mechanical drive of the pump by the propeller without going through the conversion into electricity : Mrgreen:

If you want really go through an alternator and an electric pump, the easiest way is to get (or learn how to make) a wind turbine controller which - among other functions - will cut the power to the pump when the wind is too strong.

The solution of supplying more and more pumps gradually seems to me difficult to implement because the increase in power is such (proportional to the cube of the wind speed :!: ) that if the assembly can absorb the maximum power, then it no longer starts at low wind speed ...
In any case, it is mission impossible with identical pumps, it would require pumps of increasing power.

In all cases, a disconnection mechanism is required to prevent the wind turbine from breaking if the wind is too strong.
1 x
Antacmea
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Wind turbine for pumping, I dry ...

by Antacmea » 29/01/18, 19:59

Gaston wrote:Hello and well done for your experiments :D

First of all, I would say that the best wind turbine for pumping is the mechanical drive of the pump by the propeller without going through the conversion into electricity : Mrgreen:

Yes it is but as I already have everything it's simpler, in addition with the topo of the field it is easier to pass an electric cable than I do not know which pulley systems or pump drive .

If you want really go through an alternator and an electric pump, the easiest way is to get (or learn how to make) a wind turbine controller which - among other functions - will cut the power to the pump when the wind is too strong.

The solution of supplying more and more pumps gradually seems to me difficult to implement because the increase in power is such (proportional to the cube of the wind speed :!: ) that if the assembly can absorb the maximum power, then it no longer starts at low wind speed ...
In any case, it is mission impossible with identical pumps, it would require pumps of increasing power.

Arfff I thought it would be simple for an electronics engineer, I imagined that with zener and some relays it was possible :(
The fact that they start depending on the voltage was precisely to facilitate starting in calm weather.

In all cases, a disconnection mechanism is required to prevent the wind turbine from breaking if the wind is too strong.

For that reason, I can block the blades when I'm not there, I don't need it to pump constantly, but I'm thinking of a wind erasing system. In any case thank you for your answer : Wink:
0 x