Photovoltaic off roof by Sharp: solar panels on pole!

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Photovoltaic without roof by Sharp: solar panels on pole!

by sicetaitsimple » 25/01/18, 15:48

Did67 wrote:I thought there were only 3 sides, in which case, in fact, it is defended as you do!

But there is indeed a North face! Finally, there are indeed 4 faces oriented I don't know how.

It remains to take into account the performance in diffuse, indirect light?

Finally, I believe that we have discussed it elsewhere, the fact remains that certain energies, even renewable ones, are "flexible": dam hydraulics, biomethane if we wanted to ... And therefore a certain "peak" of electricity injection PV is manageable, within these limits ...

Ah, you changed your message a little while I was answering, so it deserves a further response.

Yes, a PV injection peak is perfectly manageable, as long as it remains relatively marginal today..

With I think about 7GW of PV installed today in France no problem. With 20 or 30 certainly not either.

But 50GW, in my opinion it is for in 15 or 20 years maximum and there it gets tougher.

We must always look at others: California and its "duck curve" are a current example.

https://www.caiso.com/Documents/Flexibl ... tFacts.pdf
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 25/01/18, 16:18

Note, even if it has nothing to do with my initial post which only concerned self-consumption installations by individuals, that the largest PV power plant in France (and Europe I think?) In Cestas near Bordeaux, is oriented East-West.

The motivation is different, there it is a question of "stuffing" the site because if you orientate East-West there are no longer any cast shadows.

I am not a fan of PV mega-plants and their development (the occupation of surfaces such as roofs, terraced roofs, parking lots, brownfields, etc. seems more relevant to me) but I recognize that this is rather exemplary in terms of land occupation.

See first photo of the article:

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 69507.html
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/01/18, 17:24

It all depends on what is the limiting factor that we prioritize: the floor area or the m² of panel ... And so it depends on the respective prices. When I am surprised by the "3 to 4 times more" ... All the others, until then, could not calculate?

"Today, at a power station like the one in Cestas, we produce three to four times more electricity with an equivalent surface area than other power stations in France whose panels are all oriented towards the South"

In south-facing power plants, you don't put 3 times more lost area between two rows compared to the surface of the panels ... I don't remember the azimuth of the sun at its lowest in winter ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/01/18, 17:27

Randomly, I click on this ad which is encrusted: http://devis.monecoprojet.fr/astuce-gen ... lit%C3%A9s

All that remains is to install a "Sharp tower"!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 25/01/18, 17:38

Did67 wrote:It all depends on what is the limiting factor that we prioritize: the floor area or the m² of panel ... And so it depends on the respective prices. When I am surprised by the "3 to 4 times more" ... All the others, until then, could not calculate?

"Today, at a power station like the one in Cestas, we produce three to four times more electricity with an equivalent surface area than other power stations in France whose panels are all oriented towards the South"

In south-facing power plants, you don't put 3 times more lost area between two rows compared to the surface of the panels ... I don't remember the azimuth of the sun at its lowest in winter ...

Everyone is exaggerating, I was not the one who said that!

But roughly speaking, a "fixed" plant (without trackers) facing South, the ratio is rather one MW for 2 ha, whereas here it is one MW / ha. This is the peak power installed.
The production ratio (MWh / year) is of course certainly a little more falble than 2.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 25/01/18, 18:27

Did67 wrote:It all depends on what is the limiting factor that we prioritize: the floor area or the m² of panel ... And so it depends on the respective prices. When I am surprised by the "3 to 4 times more" ... All the others, until then, could not calculate?

Yes, but since the price of panels has fallen sharply, it is "natural" that the developers try to increase the density. And it is also desirable, a power plant like that of Cestas still occupies 300ha, which is not trivial!
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 26/01/18, 15:39

As always with renewable energy, I have only two questions:
- What is the payback period for energy investment?
- What is its lifespan?

I would not be surprised if the answer to the first question was greater than the second.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/01/18, 16:01

Petrus wrote:As always with renewable energy, I have only two questions:
- What is the payback period for energy investment?
- What is its lifespan?

I would not be surprised if the answer to the first question was greater than the second.

If you are looking for some "serious" studies concerning PV, the answers are:

-about 2 years (with a downward trend): In about two years, an 'average' PV panel has produced the energy needed to manufacture it.
- lifespan a priori greater than 20 years on average (there may be earlier "failures" and on the contrary much longer lifetimes), of course we still lack a little feedback on experience. -vis of a mass production which really started to develop there are only ten years.

If you have other figures, it's interesting to share them.
0 x