Lazy garden on polluted soil

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Lazy garden on polluted soil

by Did67 » 20/12/17, 19:07

Do not worry about VOCs! By definition, they are volatile! It's been a long time since they were there.

As said, there could be some derivatives resulting from the bad combustion of plastic, of the type "dioxins". But as said, it's not a few fires that cause problems, I think. Incinerators emit continuously, year after year ... There is a cumulative effect.

And again, some simple "plastics", of the styrene type (and polystyrene) are simple organic compounds ... Which today should be fairly neutral ... [the white granules that there are in certain "potting soil" for to lighten them are polystyrene balls]
0 x
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by anarchorete » 19/01/18, 14:06

I dig up the subject a little bit now that the holidays are over.

For VOCs, it reassures me. On the other hand, by poking around, I spotted black areas of earth, while the rest is brown. Possible oil puddle? I know that the previous owner had trouble storing his oil drain ... That said, the casts are also black, which raises my question.

Finally, I'm not sure that batteries have not been thrown into the pond (I found light bulbs, so why not batteries?) In doubt, I moved the garden to the place of an old hen house (become meadow 5 years ago). I would put a greenhouse and potted crops close to the fed up.

Prudence and precaution (a way worthy of calling jitters and scares) will have been right of me : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/01/18, 14:42

Black earth: possible hydrocarbons ...

But also possible charcoal of various "brulots" ... And if it was vegetable which was burnt, you perhaps have a deposit of "terra preta" !!! Who knows ?

https://jardinons.wordpress.com/2008/03 ... -la-faire/
0 x
anarchorete
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by anarchorete » 30/01/18, 20:03

I answer in shifted ...

Terra preta, if only! In fact the fire is quite recent, it is the office of the "official" gardener, precisely. The rest of sizes, cuts, etc. that I will now recover (in particular the sizes of roses to prick cats' asses, cf. problem soon mentioned on the main thread).

Concerning this black earth, there are several possibilities: 1. hydrocarbons; 2. terra preta of an old fire (?); 3. something was transplanted to this place and left a lot of potting soil (I noticed this phenomenon around the rosebushes, with the earthworms coming back from half-fig, half-reason, or rather mid-pudding, half - clay, black and chestnut, a kind of malabar earthworm-like bigow.)

Some more or less interesting photos (since the garden that will be cultivated will not be there anymore):

Black land
Normal earth
Normal turricle
Black turricule
The fire
0 x