The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by Did67 » 16/07/18, 10:41

I can at least confirm that it's not a seed issue. This happens year after year, especially with the first outdoor sowing. There, in July, it is fine. With indeed, sometimes, "old" bags already opened, but sometimes new ones. Sometimes conventional, sachets from a hard-discount or famous brands, sometimes "organic" ... The problem is constant.

Sometimes there are slugs. A forgotten beast is able to plane you 1 m of carrots in a furrow, while going unnoticed during the day or during the "picking" of the evening, lurking at the bottom of its furrow.

I nevertheless have a doubt as to whether it is ONLY that. I suspect, without any proof, a sensitivity of the carrot to "anti-germinatives" synthesized by fungi which develop in hay [the sensitivity of certain seeds / young seedlings to contact with decaying organic matter is known and referenced]. The other line of thought, without means of verifying it, are gaseous emanations: the very ones we know indisputably that they cause the "phytotoxicity" of which paysan.bio spoke. The yellowing of the leaves of the first plants on contact with dry hay is easily observed, even if then it returns to the order. But if the first carrot leaves, so thin, "turn yellow" and wither, then there will never be any development. The small carrot plant at the 2 cotyledonary leaf stage does not have the resilience of a cabbage, salad, eggplant or zucchini plant!

Is it even the lack of light at the bottom of a furrow that is early in the season, is deep (12 / 15 cm) ???????

Or even is it a bit of all this ????
1 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 16/07/18, 12:44

One of the solutions might be to dismiss well before (I do not know how long) hay to try to thwart the problems you are talking about.
Could a band of 30-40cm wide be the case?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/07/18, 13:13

Indeed, I am moving towards that a bit: over time, when you cover but never stir the earth, the quantity of weed seeds likely to grow decreases. I was surprised that the soil in my failed "underground clover" trial had stayed so clean for so long.

It is therefore one of the ways in which I believe the most: once, from time to time, cultivate carrots in bare ground knowing that it will become grassy; Weed just in the row to preserve the carrots and after harvest, go back to "covered under the hay" mode.

Such a "square" is in progress.
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 16/07/18, 14:19

I think it's possible to put the cover back once the carrot leaves are in place
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/07/18, 19:16

Yes, if you sow online and use a little shredded hay (or just a meadow with ripe grass - like making hay - switched to the trimmer / brushcutter) ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 17/07/18, 02:22

Did67 wrote:Indeed, I am moving towards that a bit: over time, when you cover but never stir the earth, the quantity of weed seeds likely to grow decreases. I was surprised that the soil in my failed "underground clover" trial had stayed so clean for so long.

It is therefore one of the ways in which I believe the most: once, from time to time, cultivate carrots in bare ground knowing that it will become grassy; Weed just in the row to preserve the carrots and after harvest, go back to "covered under the hay" mode.

Such a "square" is in progress.

That's how I practiced this year.

At the moment the carrots continue to grow.

Fingers crossed.
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 18/07/18, 21:18

the last shots, I opened wide enough (it was to ressuyer : Shock: ) and there it starts to rise. I water them every day (with this heat it was quick to burn in the sun). it looks a little thicker than other times. I will follow that closely.
At the methodology level it gives that:
- opening of a groove of about 30cm
- wait, because of the soil which was soaked (I still do not understand how this piece of earth could be dripping with water) -> therefore waiting for 2 days with full sun
- sowing
daily watering

If it works well I will continue like this.

On the other hand a point that makes me a little more: yesterday I discussed with a neighbor who told me that it's been a few years since his carrot seeding no longer work. At first it was wonderful and then he gave up. it is in conventional cultivation (amendment in autumn, digging, tiller, no synthetic product or other). So our problem would be the same despite the different types of cultures. it puts my method mentioned above in question. If it works is it chance or not? I will try again later to see.

Another point: this plot was dripping with water while the rest was dry despite the good layer of hay. Tomatoes always find water I do not know where (they are under shelter). They are exposed to full sun all day and no sign of lack of water. In all I watered them 3 times. What worries me a bit is that once the source is dry I will not be able to moisten the roots so they must be deeply embedded in the clay. Ditto for zucchini (watered 1 once at planting)
The rest of the garden, despite the fact that the plants showed no sign of weakness, was showered copiously last night (1m3 of water went for 2 plots on 3 or 1.2ares) and today I see the salads that have taken a good size in one night and other vegetables too. This makes me think that a little moisture under the mulch suits them quite a lot, but if we water well it explodes squarely
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/07/18, 21:52

Yesterday, I harvested some "old" radishes, sown at the same time as the carrots (my second "failed" sowing - very few sprouted carrots):

a) they are very big, but not woody at all / very tender yet ... But they tear! Strong Dijon mustard is jam next to it!

b) they had many tiny little holes all around, made underground: little underground slugs? "caterpillars in the shape of woodlice"? Or what other pest ??? What if he was the one who preyed on the tiny carrot seedlings, so much so that we didn't even see them appear?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/07/18, 21:53

torrent wrote:
On the other hand a point that makes me a little more: yesterday I discussed with a neighbor who told me that it's been a few years since his carrot seeding no longer work. At first it was wonderful and then he gave up. it is in conventional cultivation (amendment in autumn, digging, tiller, no synthetic product or other). So our problem would be the same despite the different types of cultures. it puts my method mentioned above in question. If it works is it chance or not? I will try again later to see.

At the same time, it would not be hay. Or not THAT hay ...? !
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 18/07/18, 23:44

if it is famous critter, it would mean that seedlings made from early July (it's pretty rough) should be raised.
I do not know the cycle of these critters, but for beans I have no worries since 2-3 weeks before it was cata. So they have to move to another stage around that time.

From my point of view, the solution I find to this problem would be to delay my sowing a good time
0 x