The garden of lazy brothers!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Und3r
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: The garden of lazy brothers!

by Und3r » 01/01/18, 13:43

Hello everyone !

I hope everything is going well for you, especially health! : Cheesy:

Some news from the vegetable patch:

We put a thick layer of hay:

A priori we did not put enough, it snowed a lot with us (Haut Doubs) Suddenly we could not see how it goes under this layer of snow, but life is running its course:

In some places we may have put too much hay and in others not enough, we will equalize all this just to have a good layer of hay everywhere.

As a pure neophyte we grope the ground a lot ^^ even to spread the hay we ask ourselves a lot of questions : Mrgreen:
1 x
Und3r
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Und3r » 05/04/18, 19:39

Hello everyone !

I hope everything is going well on your side! here the good weather starts to arrive and that is really good for the morale !! (We had snow for the first of April, huh ... Sacred mother nature joke!).

We are in the middle of sowing (well it's already been a month).

In the vegetable garden we had planted around 75 cloves of garlic and they started to pierce the hay so we may be lucky to eat garlic this year :)

We had a little problem with the seedlings: the first problem is the location of the room where we have to do the seedlings, it is not very sunny and in addition the bad weather did not help, suddenly the seedlings were "frayed" (I'm not sure if it is said ^^).

To compensate for this lack of sunshine we have invested in led growth plates and for the moment it seems to be going.

But I wonder if the onions haven't "frayed", because the stems aren't straight, what do you think? I have no experience these are my first seedlings.

I'm putting some pictures of the seedlings, those of the vegetable patch

For the month of March we planted or sowed spinach, onions, cauliflower, broccoli, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and leeks.

Besides, it must have been 2 weeks since I launched the eggplants and still nothing in sight, is this normal?

And we are going to welcome a dozen hens in the vegetable garden. I will put some photos to you. We have a few things left to finish. :)

The onions:

Left Tomatoes straight Cauliflower:

Leeks:
2 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 07/04/18, 13:38

For my part, as soon as my seedlings tend to wilt, I transplant them directly outside, and I let them do their life. As for eggplants (or any other potted seedlings), to see if your seeds are still good, I use the "wet palette" technique (in fact it's a painting technique). I take a tray, I put absorbent paper on it that I drown under water, and I put some seeds in it, all in a bright place and rather at room temperature, the seeds will germinate in about a week, at after 15 days, if nothing happens, I think you can buy back a packet of seeds : Wink:
Denis
1 x
Und3r
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Und3r » 07/04/18, 23:11

Thank you Denis for your answer, I bought the eggplant seeds this year, I would have the balls if it is she who are "expired", but in doubt I will proceed like that to be sure of seed germination :)
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 08/04/18, 03:19

When it starts spinning it's not great.

Some will even tell you that it is dead because the plant will be weaker.

From memory (last year) it all depends on what stage you let them go.
In any event, nothing beats real light at 360 ....
Take them out during the day and bring them in at night: is it possible?

For eggplant a priori this is not normal .... but they like hot stuff like 20 * ... is that the case?
The delay may be due to a slightly low temperature.

What corner are you in?
0 x
Und3r
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Und3r » 09/04/18, 00:20

Hi,

I agree with you nothing is worth the sunlight! :)

Complicated to take out 200 pots and bring them in every evening,

The room where the seedlings are located is within 21 22 degrees, I ventilate the room 1 to 2 times during the day. And then I have peppers that also need heat I think, and they came out of the ground.

I'm in Pontarlier in Haut-Doubs in Franche-Comté,

I relaunched the eggplants, in pots and with Denis' method.

I really didn't think the seedlings would be a concern :?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 09/04/18, 11:45

You should test and buy eggplant seeds and compare ....
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/04/18, 11:50

Und3r wrote:Thank you Denis for your answer, I bought the eggplant seeds this year, I would have the balls if it is she who are "expired", but in doubt I will proceed like that to be sure of seed germination :)

As a curiosity, some "kokopelli" ????

[I have two or three concordant testimonies of people who indicated to me to have known problems of germination].
0 x
Und3r
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Und3r » 09/04/18, 12:25

Did67 wrote:
Und3r wrote:Thank you Denis for your answer, I bought the eggplant seeds this year, I would have the balls if it is she who are "expired", but in doubt I will proceed like that to be sure of seed germination :)

As a curiosity, some "kokopelli" ????

[I have two or three concordant testimonies of people who indicated to me to have known problems of germination].

No the seeds come from https://www.semaille.com/fr/ "peasant" seeds
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/04/18, 13:02

Theoretically, a seed producer checks the germination rate and keeps samples for regular checks ...

But I believe that "farm seeds" escape the strict rules of "certified seeds" (agricultural) or "EC standard seeds" (vegetables) ...

As a result, the success of seeds bought € 0,90 from Lidl germinates, 98% (or something like that) ... And the others between 0 and 98% ... I don't know what the information is worth , but 80% of farm seeds would never be certified because they are not pure enough, produced without respecting the necessary distances, or having too low germination rates ...

This is all the ambiguity of the term "farmer". It was a subject of dispute for a long time with my wife, returning from the market with a "free-range chicken", when I explained to her that it was the most intensive farm in the area, which produced the most industrial chicken ... But since "farmer" was not legally framed, by selling it dear on the market, there was nothing illegal. She had just bought a dear childhood souvenir ... She "saw" the farm with the hens running around ... The case was settled one day when on one of these chickens, we found a piece of luggage with a code sanitary ... from the south-west (the first code is the department!) ... Mass was said.
0 x