Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/05/18, 01:28

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:From link to link I came across this example of a personal vegetable garden ...

https://positivr.fr/permaculture-jardin ... chauffrey/

It's people are the authors of "bestsellers" (our respective books surpass each other on Amazon), that's to say if it pleases!

Ah I didn't know, it was through Pinterest that I came across them ...

Frankly I think it's rubbish.

But as the idea interests me I will continue to dig vegetable after vegetable.

Already this year I will have a good idea of ​​the amount of garlic that must be harvested to try to last a year.
If the garlic that I produce (conditional) can be kept for 12 months.
Finally when I say this year: the verdict will fall at the end of my last garlic 2018 if garlic of 2018 there is.
And as in this case of garlic the number of shots is easy to count (it is less obvious with radishes : Mrgreen: ) we will quickly get an idea for the November 2018 plantations.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/05/18, 01:33

Ahmed wrote:This feeling that the solution can be of an individual nature (survivalism) is to be linked to a society based on individual competition. There is therefore both a desire to situate oneself in rupture with a perceived system, rightly so, with no way out and ... the psychic impossibility of departing from the individualist mold.
This kind of publication responds to deep anxiety, without however providing a realistic solution, just one more illusion.

An illusion: I couldn't have said it better

UNLESS you have large areas

Just for the artichoke I am trying this year, I’m not telling you ...

Take an example: we have 6 shots of Swiss chard.
Here we are going to harvest the leaves and make them go to seed

But after the harvest ... tintin zibus for chard before a lease.

So if we wanted to replace them regularly, we would have to have around XNUMX shots and all of them offset in time ...
Hello work and space

But what is exciting is that we will be able to measure this little by little over time ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 21/05/18, 08:11

Food self-sufficiency is a utopia identical to that which makes one believe that one can consume energy without polluting, without modifying our biotope.
In all things it is better to be moderate; to produce while respecting as much as possible without taking oneself for god and to consume in conscience
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/05/18, 08:28

nico239 wrote:
Already this year I will have a good idea of ​​the amount of garlic that must be harvested to try to last a year.
If the garlic that I produce (conditional) can be kept for 12 months.
Finally when I say this year: the verdict will fall at the end of my last garlic 2018 if garlic of 2018 there is.
And as in this case of garlic the number of shots is easy to count (it is less obvious with radishes : Mrgreen: ) we will quickly get an idea for the November 2018 plantations.

For garlic, it's easy to be self-sufficient: you just have to hate the taste! For radishes, settle for one bunch per season. And the tomatoes, I have a thing: put them only when we have guests, exclaim "eat, it's organic from my garden", and of course, only invite friends once. per year !
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 21/05/18, 11:44

Self-sufficiency is very subjective! It greatly depends on the eating habits of each and the years, if we make preserves, or freezing, if we have a cellar to keep root vegetables ...
Some years, I sometimes throw (uh sorry! Compost on the surface in the vegetable garden) some very successful vegetables and other years, that chi!

Regularly, I crumble under tomatoes (18-20 feet for 2 people), zucchini (2 feet), pumpkin (5-6 feet or 18 or 20 pumpkins, I don't cut them), 60 feet of potatoes (even the bad ones years is enough), radishes I do more because they bite and are glassy but at the time a sachet made me the season (but that was before when the sachets were well filled, now I have the impression to buy air, the number of seeds being reduced like skin of sorrow!)
5-6 cabbage (butter and Milan), 3-4 Brussels sprouts, 3-4 red cabbage, 4-5 kohlrabi, 4-5 celeriac, 5-6 meters of carrots (I say that but last year I thought I had missed my carrots, I redid a row 3m and a little later, forgetting that I had already redid a row, I re-re-made a 3rd row of carrots: conclusion, I mulched my garden with carrot tops : Mrgreen:
2 feet of basil (but this year, I make 5-6 for pesto, Didier gave me an idea last summer.
4-5 feet of chervil (I love with oil potatoes and oil herring, it's very healthy! : Mrgreen: )
This year, I try 6 feet of sweet potato (cuttings I made with a commercial sweet potato that I had put to germinate), and physalis (excellent in jams) a row of peas 4m with the method of which we had talked here 2-3 months ago (sow very thick, the whole package on 5 m, it works thunder, I would make you photo if you want, they are flowering.
Strawberries, I have them everywhere! old strawberry plants even come out under the hay this spring when they had already produced 4-5 years! The hay gave them a facelift, flowers galore, very green, stiff, thick leaves ...
Green mangetout beans, I make 3 to 4 times from mid-May to July 14: 5 or 6 pockets of 5 to 7 seeds each time.
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
Did67

by Did67 » 21/05/18, 12:20

Guibnd wrote:Self-sufficiency is very subjective! It greatly depends on the eating habits of each and the years, if we make preserves, or freezing, if we have a cellar to keep root vegetables ...

This is what I wanted to say with my "valve" on garlic: when you don't eat it, you are quickly self-sufficient!

On the other hand, preserves, freezing etc are only means of conservation. Self-sufficiency is producing yourself what you eat - in all seasons (including therefore what you keep in one form or another: jars, fermentation, salting, dehydration, freezing, ensilage ...) .

It is not, in season, producing a tray of strawberries (instead of buying it). When I eat strawberries, it's a small bowl. And in season, once a day. From very soon if possible until September (even if towards the end, it is only one bowl and one day in three).

So the "self-sufficiency" of some is just a display. And a lot of fuss. A "bad word and nothing behind", in short.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/05/18, 16:14

Guibnd wrote:zucchini (2 feet)

I don't know how you do with only 2 feet ...

They give how many zucchini each and at what rate ???

5-6 cabbage (butter and Milan)
There too once you have eaten your 6 cabbage is it finished?

3-4 Brussels sprouts
id?

3-4 red cabbage
id?

4-5 kohlrabi
id?

2 feet of basil (but this year, I make 5-6 for pesto, Didier gave me an idea last summer.
We have 7 but I think it's not enough

4-5 feet of chervil (I love with oil potatoes and oil herring, it's very healthy! : Mrgreen: )
not stupid I must think about it

I have 6 feet of tarragon but even this year when they restart all by themselves (no transplant which traumatized them a little) I fear that this is not enough.

a row of peas 4m with the method that we talked about here 2-3 months ago (sow very thick, the whole package on 5 m, it works thunder, I would make you photo if you want, they are in the process to bloom.
That interests us .... we have it but I want to say that it is anecdotal to eat it more than once ... this is where we see that if we wanted to to do regularly it would take almost an entire field .... (I exaggerate Image but OK...

Strawberries, I have them everywhere!
We should get started too ... but we can't do everything.
Your growing conditions interest us

I started the raspberries but I think that with 10 I am far from the count ...
As it seems to work the idea is to triple the feet or even quadruple for next year.

Green mangetout beans, I make 3 to 4 times from mid-May to July 14: 5 or 6 pockets of 5 to 7 seeds each time.

We tried to sow MORE than last year but I'm not sure it's still enough ... we'll see.

It's glad for the info and photos on strawberries and peas Image
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/05/18, 16:52

Did67 wrote:
Guibnd wrote:Self-sufficiency is very subjective! It greatly depends on the eating habits of each and the years, if we make preserves, or freezing, if we have a cellar to keep root vegetables ...

This is what I wanted to say with my "valve" on garlic: when you don't eat it, you are quickly self-sufficient!

On the other hand, preserves, freezing etc are only means of conservation. Self-sufficiency is producing yourself what you eat - in all seasons (including therefore what you keep in one form or another: jars, fermentation, salting, dehydration, freezing, ensilage ...) .

It is not, in season, producing a tray of strawberries (instead of buying it). When I eat strawberries, it's a small bowl. And in season, once a day. From very soon if possible until September (even if towards the end, it is only one bowl and one day in three).

So the "self-sufficiency" of some is just a display. And a lot of fuss. A "bad word and nothing behind", in short.

In the article in question, the shock phase that made me tick was
“Let's not forget that Joseph Chauffrey's goal is to feed himself by growing his own crops. Objective achieved with regard to vegetables, not yet for fruit, but that will not be long in coming! ”

Great no matter what.

However, I think that for some varieties we can try to use only our own crop provided we have the surface.

I spoke above about garlic and it is obvious from this that onions and all this type of bulbous condiments: in addition it does not take up much space.

Maybe we can try with the potatoes but I don't know if their shelf life can keep them until the next harvest.

After for the rest there are the preserves but it's a hell of a job.

Otherwise you can at least TRY to use your own crops in SEASON on a few varieties.

On our side for salads we should get by.
But as said above, you have to have a mussel on the way (plus the surface) to take out one at maturity every 2 days.

For everything else we are VERY FAR from the account.

I would love to do it with radishes because I like it.
Those called "18 days" give quick results but I would have had to take the entire stock from Lidl and again ...
As said above as there are not a lot of seeds in the bags in my opinion I must find them in kg : Mrgreen:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/05/18, 17:02

Like about garlic ... advice that corroborates my experience ...

The planting must be deep otherwise the plants take off: the roots push the bulb out of the ground instead of penetrating into the ground

Exactly my case that I have cited several times

source
http://www.formation-continue.theodore- ... A_2010.pdf

Advice unlike the vast majority of those that can be read elsewhere

Example among others ....

Not to mention that at the end of the video he says that garlic does not like competition and that we have to get rid of weeds Image

I have to invite him to see the one that was planted in the tall grass from the start ... Image
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 22/05/18, 00:17

yes nico, I often have extraordinary vegetables (good years ... because there are years when it doesn't ... well, it doesn't : Mrgreen: )
I will take pictures of the peas and strawberries and also of the leeks of this winter not consumed which are growing to seeds ... monsters : Mrgreen:

the quantities that I have stated are normally sufficient for both of us.
for example, on the cabbage side, we cut them into 4, because so large that a cabbage makes 4 meals.
zucchini: one leg gives between 15 and 20 zucchini at least (we pick them young and small and it doesn't stop blooming as long as we water ...)

good I admit, I have water at will (underground concrete tanks that collect water from the roofs): 20 m3. it helps !
and then, when I have the courage, I have manure from rabbits (5-6 rabbits each year) and poultry: laying hens (2-3 permanently) and some chickens (8-10 per year).
so, I dare not even imagine what it can give manure + hay + surface composting !!! : Mrgreen:

see you soon for the photos ...
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...