Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by Did67 » 06/12/17, 19:49

As if by chance, the first 25 or 30 cm of a soil are the "vegetal soils", which are sold when there are construction sites ... It is the "living soil" ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 09/12/17, 18:31

Just a photo of the Leyland plantations with all the hay available at the foot ....

And another from the 1st round of salad grown in the greenhouse ... the rest is on its way

Other than that, no news of the lamb's lettuce seedlings in the middle of the straw bales.

The rest takes its course very slowly outside just like the spinach between frost, rain and snow ...

One question: we would like to have a mulberry tree ... do you have a particular variety to advise us?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/12/17, 19:56

Snow, thaw then now torrential rains ..... before a super freeze ... and again snow

The interest of hay for the land in ONE snapshot

Is it necessary to compare the damage caused by nature between one surface (in the foreground) and the other ... in the background ...

More telling than all the long speeches ...

Or ..... another UTILITY of hay for the earth (apart from its degradation): its PROTECTION ....
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/12/17, 00:15

Hay has, in phenoculture, 6 functions !!!

Including, in fact, protecting the soil against climatic aggressions: rains, winds, drying out ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/12/17, 11:53

I admit that we had not thought of that ... but in addition to protecting the earth, and runoff, it allows us to not wade through the slush or slide on the ... ice.

In short, there are advantages and when you think that in addition below during this time it works ... it is 100% profit.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 31/12/17, 00:55

Some news while I am more in the workshop than in the garden.
But hey on the other hand in the garden there is not a lot of stuff to do ...

Except that in the tunnel it still rises to 30 when it is sunny ... while falling below 0 at night ....

Outside Nothing grows but nothing dies.
Namely what had already grown: lamb's lettuce and spinach is maintained as it is without showing signs of imminent death but without growing for all that ...

In the tunnel it pushes very slowly.

We picked up cilantro which, strangely enough, is the only one that really grows.

Otherwise salads live on like everything else but without wasting away: that's already it.

Outside oddly if the leaves of the terrace honeysuckle have logically blackened ....

The one at the bottom of the garden does not seem to have understood that it is winter and that it is -10 at night .... I have never seen this (and I do not understand why) .... it is as green as in summer ... while it is not particularly sheltered ...

Contrary to what I have read everywhere, phacelia does not fear freezing, in any case not down to -10.
Like the rest it does not grow but does not die ....

The "wild" mint either (full northern exposure and almost no sun) ... and it smells very strongly ...

Garlic planted in the best exposed part continues to grow, on the other hand, even if it has to be dug up to realize it.
Compare with the size of the roots in the previous photo.
I did not go to check the condition of the one that was under the hay

An example of furniture
No I did not make the tray but at 150 € (by a carpenter, address available) 3m x 1m20 x 5 that is not refused us who we were about to put there 5 times that price ...
Of course at this price it's pine but it took 4 people to turn it over once the feet were set

I modestly put my feet in 20 x 20 beams

Father Christmas brought me a Metabo DH330 planer (phew, no more sanding hours) I will save time in my future constructions ....
The first tests are sensational ... especially for someone who has been sanding / planing for 20 years with a drill ....
If so with the drill ... but the grandpa owner of the sawmill too because he doesn't like flat sander either.
It's reassuring to see that we're not the only one.

Because I buy the boards at a sawmill and then I stuck with the rest but at 60 € the 27 boards between 180 and 110 x 35/40 there too there is no picture with the DIY stores: think of the direct purchase in the sawmill .....

My "sawmill grandpa" who cuts ... with a chainsaw, like me, we were definitely made to meet.
But the use of the chainsaw all the time is not very common here, too bad ... because it replaces many tools that are often useless or, say, superfluous.

NB the two 20 x 20 beams on the cart is for me ... for a future library
There will be 4 in all but 4 beams of 20 x 20 x 250 in the trailer I did not feel it ... weight level, so I made 2 trips

Happy New Year's Eve to all .... and see you in the coming year
1 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 31/12/17, 09:24

think about the direct purchase in sawmill

I am dressing a garage wall with a wooden frame and I also went through a sawmill for my frame.
The price has been divided by 3.7 compared to large DIY stores : Shock: .
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 11/01/18, 15:07

A short chronicle of life in the middle mountains

The wood, I was asked for details, here they are in photos

In my opinion, the original donkey can hardly be improved.
I just added the pieces of wood to "hang" the logs.
I tested the addition of a strap or a tensioner to fix the part resting on the donkey but it is long and useless: hold the part resting on the donkey to prevent it from tipping during the cut is much faster and more convenient
I saw quite esoteric things on You Tube without much interest
Possibly a gauge measuring rod at the end of the donkey for the most picky who do not have the compass in the eye why not?
But for me it's superfluous, I have ends of 1m APPROXIMATELY and I make 2 or 3 cuts depending on .... but at random it does it very well.

Nothing grows but everything survives ... time has stopped: there in this case spinach (it's the same for lamb's lettuce).
These sowing in early October will soon be 4 months old ... hence the question ... are they useful?
Will spinach that has survived all winter be better?
I should have time to sow it again in a while: as much as the new sowing will double the old ...
Anyway it makes experience

Garlic? not a priori onion ....

Garlic in the hay, I haven't looked for it (I haven't had time), but it's not showing the tip of its nose for the moment

Regarding the garlic planted in the pleasure garden, the only problem is that some cayeux "eject" while growing.
It's been two or three times that I put some back in the ground ....
I respected not planting them deep ... was I wrong, should I have planted them deeper?
Is the ground too hard? However this is not especially the case ...
In short there too the experience comes in ....

"Someone" .... ate us 3 chickens Image entering through the roof of the henhouse ....
Okay, we were too lazy to cover it up ....

What was done.
As a result, the birds that were bombing were deprived of a pittance.
Except the smart ones who managed to enter through the gap at the top of the door but found themselves trapped like this jay of the oaks ...

Finally serious question: why the lakes do not empty ???

This is basically what this photo inspires me
Left pelvis and EPDM
Right hole and future basin
There are those who dig a hole, derive a source in it and make a basin inexpensively .... WITHOUT EPDM, the hole does not empty when it is filled with water.
With us it fills and empties ...
Hence my reflection why the lakes do not empty Image
It would be convenient if the basin could be waterproof WITHOUT EPDM.

If you have an idea to make a hole watertight without EPDM, we are interested ....
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/01/18, 16:47

A "plaster" with 10 cm of clay. Spread out, tread well ... Before EPDM, the pools were "treated" like this ... But these are not sloth pools ...

In nature, large lakes "clog" very quickly as the clays and silts of muddy streams settle [look at these spectacular images of "cracked crusts" when a dam is drained!].

In fish ponds, water is constantly renewed ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/01/18, 16:51

nico239 wrote:
Nothing grows but everything survives ... time has stopped: there in this case spinach (it's the same for lamb's lettuce).
These sowing in early October will soon be 4 months old ... hence the question ... are they useful?
Will spinach that has survived all winter be better?
I should have time to sow it again in a while: as much as the new sowing will double the old ...
Anyway it makes experience

Winter vegetables often overwinter at a "small seedling" stage. It is in spring, when favorable weather returns, that they will make the difference compared to the plants that you would sow or that you would then plant ... Before very quickly, in general, go to seed. So rush as soon as it reaches an "honorable" size without waiting for "it to get bigger again!"

On the contrary, more developed plants would "suffer" from the cold if it became (????) severe.
0 x