Vegetable garden of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Laziness of the (super) lazy in the 04 (800m)

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/11/17, 18:44

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:
Freezing at minus 10 maybe?

It's exactly that ! Hardiness: - 10° C (always knowing that this depends on how gently or how hard the cold sets in; hardiness values ​​are always indications, not precise data).

NB: in your case, phacelia, which has a root system renowned for structuring the soil, was essential... Even if contrary to what many believe and what I sometimes read, it is not a legume (therefore no symbiotic fixation of atmospheric nitrogen). You always have to prioritize the problems: for you, it starts with structuring, first and foremost.

As you do not lack space, you could have a few ares in phacelia, therefore in "structuring", while you cultivate elsewhere, to then settle on these places. Especially since you have water... In your place, I would plant a patch of phacelia throughout the season. You may also be interested in berseem clover, gelif too. But a legume. You water like an irrigated crop. I recently mentioned, I think (I don't know what I'm writing or where!), the fact that we consider that watering means bringing water to the plants. Whereas it is necessary to start, particularly in a situation like yours, by considering that watering is "watering" the organisms of the soil, which, well nourished in addition, will work well and therefore escalate faster ! Produce more glue. In the absence of water, anecic bacteria and worms in particular go into "slow" or "survival" mode (in the form of spores for bacteria; in diapause for worms). In your case, it seems essential to me!

Ah ok I didn't know that I thought it was 0°.
Perfect then.

You're right that's what I will do in the spring...

I think sowing phacelia now is a bit late, isn't it?

Already what I sowed in the old location of the potatoes was limited (photo above).

But actually in the spring I'm going to throw some everywhere in 5kg bags...

In addition we realized on a small part of the pleasure garden where it is in flower that it is (it was because now there are more people) a formidable attractant for insects and combine the two: improvement of the ground and attraction of the foragers it is rather top.
In addition in flower it is far from being ugly so there will be everywhere.

I sowed some along the chalet (I'll take a picture) to see if it took on very compact soil, well yes the little shoots came out...
And next to this place the location of the potatoes is velvet...
Along the chalet there was work, it was a place of passage, brief concrete, and before sowing I just passed a symbolic claw and point bar.
Watering ... and finally

On this subject in the pleasure garden (deserted part) I sent a lot of crimson clover to test ... but there I just sowed it live without any regard, to see if it takes or not where s you really have to prepare the ground.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 25/11/17, 23:21

The latest news from the mountain vegetable garden.

Temperatures dropped to -7 outside and -3 in the tunnel.

It may get worse with the announced cold snap but that's normal.

Outside

For the moment no significant damage apart from the broccoli seedlings which are (a priori) dead or well asleep because the shoots have taken a hit behind the ears.

The radish seedlings keep chugging along

The kohlrabi seedlings are fine

Spinach seedlings are (for now) in great shape.

Lamb's lettuce.... the one that grows best is the one that was sown in the worst conditions, hard and unprepared soil

Which doesn't mean it doesn't grow when I tried a little harder.

However this beautiful growth in a rotten and trampled pass gave me food for thought....

I'm good nailf
1. even if it still grows a little this plan will have to be multiplied damn much to make us several salads

Suddenly my little lines are ridiculous in an actual food option.

So I resowed 4 new beds

One "orthodox": removed the hay leaving the last black layer, sown, covered with 2cm of soil and packed

The other by contenting myself with removing the hay, sowing and trampling on the image of the pass feet and we will see who is doing the best and the fastest.

A half “orthodox” half “anyhow” board

And finally removed 2 boots, sown, trampled point bar
On this subject nothing has yet grown between the boots

Other boards will follow.
Indeed if we rely on the most developed plan and our consumption, we need at least 10 plants each per salad at the rate of 2 or 3 salads per week that makes a bunch of plants and therefore a hell of a cultivated area...

We realize that if we really want to feed on our production, we really have to not skimp on the surface.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 25/11/17, 23:29

Nothing to report in the tunnel the different lettuces (under P30) and the 2 cauliflowers did not suffer from the cold and the other seedlings are following their course.

Two pea plants from this summer stand out... well, we wonder why?

sorry for the unclear photos
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 25/11/17, 23:36

Garlic

I had "sown" them in the thick and soggy hay with the fear that they would rot in stride...

While clearing the half-board where there was none, I "unearthed" several inadvertently...
Surprise the roots had started to grow perfectly well and the shoots didn't seem to show any signs of rot.
(a precision which validates once again the interest of hay to aggravate the soil.... when I wanted to replant the cayeux unearthed by mistake I realized that my finger was sinking even more easily than there at 2 months.... in the earth, of course it was still clayey slush but much more flexible)

I compared with those planted in large numbers in the upper part (rather dry and more in line with the “theory” of orthodox garlic planting) of the pleasure garden....
Here too the roots had started to grow but....
Without making a really scientific comparison if the roots of the cayeux of the hay are 15mm... those of the "dry" part (of which the earth is nevertheless wet but bare, without hay above) are only half of them... ..
This does not have much value but remains however ... to be continued .... because for the moment it is the hay that would have the "advantage"
Last edited by Adrien (ex-nico239) the 25 / 11 / 17, 23: 42, 1 edited once.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 25/11/17, 23:39

Finally the 10 raspberries planted on the edge of the grove which adjoins the pleasure garden....

overview

close view and mounding with the leaves which are not lacking...

0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 25/11/17, 23:49

Two more briefs...

Construction machinery has invaded us a bit lately.... which gave us the opportunity for this beautiful cut of the ground

Finally icing on the cake... Mrs. looked at the hay with a certain incredulity.

However, she had to remove it from 2 places in the pleasure garden: the old surface for transplanting squash (which did not work) as well as two small surfaces where I had spread it just for a test in spring.

The quality of the soil that she discovered below surprised her so much that now she wants to cover the entire pleasure garden with hay until spring: life is not beautiful... : Mrgreen:
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/17, 15:56

1) For lamb's lettuce, "filling" is a basic rule for success.

If you want to "finish" this, the best thing is to make yourself two small boards that you attach to your feet, with strips over your shoes. And there you go! You are the Indian who dances for the rain to fall!!! The "youhouhou" are optional...

2) On your cut, I wonder if it's not a "lens" of gley that we see ??? It looks like those compact clayey lenses in which following hydromorphy (stagnation of water) anaerobic conditions settle in (absence of air). This results in "reducing" activities (the opposite of oxidation). The smells are often that of "putrefactions" (so-called "musty" smells)....

At the same time, I remember that all your land is on a slope ??? What makes this hypothesis very implausible...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/11/17, 15:59

nico239 wrote:Finally icing on the cake... Mrs. looked at the hay with a certain incredulity.

However, she had to remove it from 2 places in the pleasure garden: the old surface for transplanting squash (which did not work) as well as two small surfaces where I had spread it just for a test in spring.

The quality of the soil that she discovered below surprised her so much that now she wants to cover the entire pleasure garden with hay until spring: life is not beautiful... : Mrgreen:

You will kiss Madame for me. All my confs start with this advice: "don't believe me stupidly, listen then try!"

Well here it is. She tried. She has seen and does not brace herself on convictions, beliefs...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 21:16

nico239 wrote:The latest news from the mountain vegetable garden.

It is weird your chew (5th photo, the big foot).

What is variety?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/11/17, 21:26

nico239 wrote:Two more briefs...

Construction machinery has invaded us a bit lately.... which gave us the opportunity for this beautiful cut of the ground

I'm always fascinated by these cuts, even if I'm quite incapable of interpreting them!

Well, I don't see what Didier noticed, but a priori (you should have put a thickness measurement) there is a sufficient thickness of upper soil to properly grow vegetables.

Afterwards we fall into pebbles and a visibly calcareous earth, it will not necessarily please everyone.

And what is below?
0 x