The garden of a lazy we occasionally.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The lazy vegetable garden a we occasionally.

by Ahmed » 03/04/18, 11:07

Olivier75, you write:
The hay laid in the fall has melted, much more than last year, a proof that the soil is vivifying?

Of course! More "cattle", therefore more consumption.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/04/18, 20:04

Nice as everything ... : Wink:

What is your variety of lamb's lettuce?
This is the 4 photo, is that it?

Because we, for the moment, ours is not folichon .... it does not die but it does not grow .... : Mrgreen:
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 03/04/18, 21:04

Nico239,
It is Gillerd's Seedbill, seeded in the fall.
The news was sown Saturday, granons from Essem'Bio, all seasons.
Olivier
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/04/18, 00:07

olivier75 wrote:Nico239,
It is Gillerd's Seedbill, seeded in the fall.
The news was sown Saturday, granons from Essem'Bio, all seasons.
Olivier

OK, thanks.

Well that's good because, working on Cavaillon, if I do not finish too late, Thursday, I wanted to try to move to Girerd precisely
I ordered from them and I was satisfied.

In return on the site they indicate sowing July October ...
Did you sow them when you?

That said, I am more and more dubious about a lot of "advice"
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 04/04/18, 07:20

Nico239,

I sowed them in October, and harvested from November to the end of March, they will be bloomed the next time we told a neighbor to help himself.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/04/18, 08:54

Be careful, agree, I have the impression that one is talking about granons and the other about "large seeds".

- under the name "chews" come together similar plants but of very diverse origin
- the "large leaves" (also called "with large seeds" and their recent derivatives) are rather of Italian origin and to be considered as autumn varieties (sowing at the end of summer for a harvest before the extreme cold)
- the varieties with small leaves (rosettes) of the "Louviers shell" or "Cambrai" type are of rather Nordic origins, and are real "winter cheeks", which withstand extreme cold and which can be harvested whenever it thaws ... even continuously.
- recent selections (such as "Gala" or "Granon" - which I am discovering) have freed themselves from photoperiodism and can be sown throughout the season
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/04/18, 13:17

Did67 wrote:Be careful, agree, I have the impression that one is talking about granons and the other about "large seeds".

- under the name "chews" come together similar plants but of very diverse origin
- the "large leaves" (also called "with large seeds" and their recent derivatives) are rather of Italian origin and to be considered as autumn varieties (sowing at the end of summer for a harvest before the extreme cold)
- the varieties with small leaves (rosettes) of the "Louviers shell" or "Cambrai" type are of rather Nordic origins, and are real "winter cheeks", which withstand extreme cold and which can be harvested whenever it thaws ... even continuously.
- recent selections (such as "Gala" or "Granon" - which I am discovering) have freed themselves from photoperiodism and can be sown throughout the season

No no it's the big seed that interests me ... for the moment ...

In fact the shell and Cambrai do not die in winter it's true but do not grow too much either : Mrgreen: , even if I recognize it I would have to pamper them (protect) more .... it will be for next year.

While waiting even mature they do not seem to me to exceed the 5 or 6cm high ... with it takes a "whole field" to make a salad bowl ... so it's not tomorrow the day before that I eat every lunch ... even if I will persevere anyway by sowing on many larger areas next fall

So I have to turn to varieties of the moment with LEAVES : Mrgreen: , the big seed seems all right, but I will also see for others that you indicate me.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/04/18, 14:56

Except your "big seed" might not germinate now ... It's typically a late summer / early fall variety. And who fears the "cold weather" with its large leaves a little too fragile, in our climates.

If you want to produce now, the "modern" selected "all season" varieties such as Gala, "4 seasons", Granon (which I am discovering) or Favor, and which also have fairly large leaves, are suitable - they do not fit. wait until the end of summer / beginning of fall to germinate! They germinate in any season (we got rid of its photoperiodism by conventional selection)

The "shells" or Cambrai do indeed have smaller leaves. Suddenly, they are tough enough to get through the winter. But, indeed, it is necessary to sow sufficient surfaces and sufficiently dense! The simplest: you leave a few, which will very quickly go to seeds after winter (it starts with me). You let it graze on the spot. And you remember where to leave this space there bare from August. You keep it wet. And you keep the soil very compact. And it would be amazing if it didn't lift like the hairs on a dog!
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 04/04/18, 15:15

This is the variety with large seeds sown in October, which has spent the winter unprotected and preparing to bloom, some stems appeared this we, and with a minimum to -10 / -11 I believe.
The variety granon, just sown, you have to wait for the results.
I did not sow lettuce before, but since we were able to make salad bowls each time this winters, I continue!

Olivier.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/04/18, 16:30

This winter, note that when it was cold, there was usually snow. Under the snow, it is more or less 0 ° ... Nothing to do with a - 14 ° C all naked, exposed to the wind ...

So it is not sure that it will work every time.

On the other hand, the "shells" and "Cambrai" and CO, I guarantee. When I was young and we sometimes had - 20 ° "dry", my father already cultivated it. AND it was wintering ...
0 x