lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by phil53 » 19/01/18, 23:30

I chose to plant only small cloves, at harvest I will see the result. It will be a clue not necessarily a proof.
I have also planted garlic bulbs that are not divided into clays, I do not know if this happens often, the same I will see what it gives.
download / file.php? mode = view & id = 6121
Attachments
cayeux.jpg
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/01/18, 11:46

A year ago, I had a lot of garlic that had "gone up". In the flower head, it was not seeds, but tiny bulbils (not even the size of a pea) that had formed. I planted some last year. There are some that came out this fall.

According to my research on the net, this is a classic way of "multiplying" garlic: these bulbils would give a single round bulb, which would give a "classic" head the following year. Testing in progress!
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 20/02/18, 19:08

Saturday I harvested kale, it takes 3 to make the equivalent of a cabbage trade.
In addition they are full of slugs and woodlice so long enough to clean.
Question taste, they are good, normally headed.
Slugs eating the bottom leaves, do not they limit the size?
The woodlice eat what in cabbage? I feel like it's just a refuge for them.
In any case I thought that I am far from doing as well as my ancestors who they almost achieved self-sufficiency.
Even if it's not my goal I have mixed results.
This does not call into question my belief that this is a good solution because for some things compared to the effort I have, I have a lot of harvest. Cucurbits, potatoes, small weights and beans. Tomatoes too but I was robbed
Disappointing, celery root and branch, carrots, turnips, peppers, leeks, eggplant and even salads.
The cabbages being halfway but neighbors who do rather a kind of permaculture have harvested none.
On the other hand they had small leeks and I almost nothing, they were devastated by small butterflies and the remedy of paysanbio did not work. That is to say cut them to 2cm, they did not push back.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/02/18, 19:28

I found this site that summarizes the lifestyle of some animals in the kitchen garden - very well done, and a priori for what I read, very very fair [there is not only the worst on the internet]

http://www.jardin-a-manger.com/pageinse ... portes.htm

So in your cabbage (if I understand correctly, it's the curly apple, which is often called Savoy cabbage; not to be confused with the "curly" which makes layered leaves like a Brussels sprout, called kale) , they are looking for a "damp and dark" home - perfect for them. And it is not uncommon for a few dead leaves to dangle nearby: their food.

I wonder if you shouldn't "accumulate" a little fertility yet ??? Starting from a poor soil, even hay cannot work miracles in one or two seasons ... Leek and cabbage are greedy vegetables, in nitrogen for the first, in nitrogen and potassium for the second!

Cabbages are greedy for nitrogen and potassium. Mine is always boosted in September, after the return of moisture, so mineralization / nitrification ... For potassium, test with ashes: in 2018, put your cabbage to an ashy place, to observe.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 23/02/18, 17:32

Super happy today my neighbors were delivered a round baller, maybe thanks to our conversations or the notoriety of growing Didier.
No doubt a little 2 but in any case little by little an awareness of the benefits of hay despite mixed results as an example.

I harvested small sprouts again, with the cold, no more woodlice or slug.
All this little world to emigrate warm under the hay.
In any case easier to clean. : Cheesy:
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 16/05/18, 23:35

My garlic is colonized by larvae of the leek type. I thought that garlic escaped almost all parasites .............
I also killed 2 CPB, last year I had not had one and yet my neighbors though. I attributed it to the beneficial effect, fortifying the hay.
My beans have some aphids, for now it's not catastrophic.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 17/05/18, 09:18

Hello,
It may be an opportunity to check if, as for the leek, decapitation eliminates the larvae if they have not gone down too much, and to check in what proportion the regrowth is acceptable.
Olivier
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 17/05/18, 09:56

No, the larvae go directly into the bulb.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 17/05/18, 09:59

No, the larvae go directly into the bulb.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/05/18, 10:02

phil53 wrote:My garlic is colonized by larvae of the leek type. I thought that garlic escaped almost all parasites .............
I also killed 2 CPB, last year I had not had one and yet my neighbors though. I attributed it to the beneficial effect, fortifying the hay.
My beans have some aphids, for now it's not catastrophic.

1) I have never had "worms" (leeks, garlic, ...). Well more than 1 or 2, which I don't count. This is the share of the Angels ...

2) I also picked up and crushed 3 CPB yesterday, two of which copulating (I have nothing against free copulation, but something against the multiplication of CPB!).

That said, last year, I had seen one or two like this, and surprise, without any action taken, I did not have a larval attack! Is it possible that sometimes the adults come to "smell" the ground and decide that it is not the right place and go elsewhere ????

[This is just a question. Those who "like to play" can try to see ... But don't come and complain!]
0 x