A Kitchen Garden Sloth in the Hérault (St-Chinian)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: A Kitchen Garden Sloth in the Hérault (St-Chinian)

by Did67 » 03/11/16, 21:40

Valoul wrote:
Second year, second failure here, they always have the size of a pencil. :(
I have to add fertilizers, they tell me. I did it reluctantly, and for good reason, it did not change anything
Made put nettle manure I am told, I did, they are still small. Proud and straight but small
Well, I planted them very late (early September, but given the warm autumn we had) and they are often in the shade ... Should they be in full sun?
Next year, I plan to sow myself and plant them in time I hope in my hay cover .... hope is alive : Oops:

"It is necessary...". "It is necessary..."

Well yes, everyone has their own recipe, without a diagnosis of the situation! As if life held in a "recipe"!

In my house, the leek is slow. I put them in the spring for a harvest in the fall and during the winter.

They are in full light (like most vegetables; light is the "food" of plants ... Not fertilizers, which are only spices ...).

Planted directly through the hay layer ...

In "poor" soils (I seem to remember that you have sand), remember that it is greedy in potassium - ash if you have any?
0 x
jpg43
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpg43 » 04/11/16, 07:50

Hello, it seems that calcium is needed for leeks, which I bring with a watering with a tablespoon of magnesian limestone per 10 liter watering can a few days after planting.

jp
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/11/16, 09:27

I doubt it will be very effective. The "limestone" (calcium carbonate) is very very poorly soluble ... (otherwise, the limestone regions would no longer exist!).

We were talking about "validation" of results on another thread: did you try to do this on one half and not on another to see if there really is a difference?

In the case of acidic soils, "liming" (addition of agricultural lime or magnesia) can be a good thing, but then in much more significant doses ... And on the ground, the "soil life" takes care of Solubilize it and assimilate it to put it in the circuit ...

After that, it doesn't harm! It's clear. And we can always do ...

I have not found in serious literature (you know, I am wary of what 'written on the internet like the plague - 90% bullshit, and again, I may be nice!), An assertion to this subject.

see this Canadian technical sheet (Canadians have excellent agricultural or medical popularization on the internet, from public organizations): http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/french/crop ... 92-007.htm

[see also the cycle time: 3 months in the nursery before planting !!!!] [@valoul: you would not harvest what others call plants, to replant so that they grow ????]

More "general public": http://horticulteurs.net/creer-un-potag ... eaux.xhtml

Rustica talks about a gourmet plant, but without references to calcium: http://www.rustica.fr/articles-jardin/f ... ,5818.html

All the sites seem to converge on the need for "humus" and nitrogen ... without excess. The fertilizations indicated are however not extraordinary in market gardening; they would be rather modest. So "greedy" compared to ... nothing? Vegetables, given their speed of growth and given the biomass, are in fact "greedy"!

In my opinion, the hay will be perfect!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/11/16, 09:47

Did67 wrote:... remember that it's high in potassium - ashes if you have any?

"Pan sur le bec" writes the Duck when he is wrong!

I must have confused with cabbage?

http://www.rustica.fr/articles-jardin/f ... 5889.html#
0 x
Valoul
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Valoul » 04/11/16, 10:09

Plants bought in garden centers (I had twice as many requested because some were a little "outdated") I had more than half in dead loss.

Heck, no ashes (or I have to do the neighbor tour :-))

the year to come I intend to sow myself, even if it is more tedious, I will perhaps control more the complete cycle? We'll see. I swarm with projects for my vegetable garden then ....
0 x
jpg43
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpg43 » 04/11/16, 13:44

Hello, I have this need for calcium for my brother's leeks, who is a technical advisor (engineer from ENITA in Anger) in a producers' cooperative in the Nantes region. I assume they are using highly digestible calcium compounds or a long-standing widespread liming amendment.
I use regularly ground limestone on soil with a pH between 5,5 and 6 decalcified (soil analysis). This meadow soil ex vegetable garden 40 years ago has been cultivated for 4 years

My leeks are quite correct.

JP
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/11/16, 14:07

Valoul wrote:
Heck, no ashes (or I have to do the neighbor tour :-))

I corrected myself ("pan sur le bec"!): I confused with cabbages; no evidence for a higher need than other vegetables ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/11/16, 14:09

Valoul wrote:
the year to come I intend to sow myself, even if it is more tedious, I will perhaps control more the complete cycle? We'll see. I swarm with projects for my vegetable garden then ....

Sow in spring and then let it come ... You spoil 15/20 cm (remove the excess plants, which you transplant elsewhere) ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/11/16, 14:14

jpg43 wrote:Hello, I have this need for calcium for my brother's leeks, who is a technical advisor (engineer from ENITA in Anger) in a producers' cooperative in the Nantes region. I assume they are using highly digestible calcium compounds or a long-standing widespread liming amendment.
I use regularly ground limestone on soil with a pH between 5,5 and 6 decalcified (soil analysis). This meadow soil ex vegetable garden 40 years ago has been cultivated for 4 years

My leeks are quite correct.

JP

OKAY. These are the soils which are acid and decalcified ...

In this case, except the plants of "so-called heather", acidophilic plants, all the plants need calcium and it is then necessary "to amend" the grounds ... Nothing specific to leeks ...

But in 3/4 of the land, this precaution is perfectly useless because the soils are well provided.

In earth of limestone origin, it is stupid, since there is already "too much" calcium (not generally)!

That said, Valoul is in sandy soil, which could be acidic: in his case, the advice could, if this acidity is confirmed, be relevant ...
0 x
Mixieer56
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Mixieer56 » 12/11/16, 15:39

Moutonjardinier wrote:
Valoul wrote:Next year, I plan to sow myself and plant them in time I hope in my hay cover .... hope is alive : Oops:

One must never despair, but continually seek the cause of the problem. Perhaps the climate sawtooth or poor quality plants as often found in garden centers. The must is to do your own seeding, it takes time and especially space, but we control everything from A to Z (provided you choose your seed supplier) : Wink:

Good evening Moutonjardinier,
agree to do my sowing. I noticed that some suppliers were often out of stock, such as Biaugerme or Kokopelli. Are there more addresses provided? Thank you for your answers.
0 x
"Make a mess of your garden and order your ideas!" Didier Helmstetter