How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: How to start a "Lazy Potager" simpler than permaculture: steps and tips

by Did67 » 18/04/17, 11:37

Phraucq wrote:
1) I guess a seeding is not possible this season. But what about transplants?

2) The bales have taken water and we have mycelium of ci, from there. Is this not a problem, even with transplanting? And if so, on all types of vegetables or just some, more sensitive?

3) More general question: is a mulching as proposed here compatible with the cultivation of asparagus and rhubarb? I suppose yes, since the plants are installed, but better to ask ...

In advance, thank you for the info and thank you, especially, for the work provided for years!

Sorry for the delay. As written, I sometimes skip ... Do not hesitate to start again (by "raising" a question - copy / paste in a new answer, and it goes up in the queue; or by "mp": personal messages).

1) No problem for transplanting. Particularly for transplanting plants in pots: open a "hole", transplant even if the earth seems compact ...

2) No problem: the molds have started, in piles, the degradation which will in any case be done on the ground, at the level of the "a little damp" layer. 99,9% of mushrooms are very useful helpers for the gardener. But history only retains the few pathogens.

"Growing" mushrooms makes the soil ... healthy, from my point of view! Because very quickly, these mushrooms will be devoured by "fungivorous" organisms (= which eat the mushrooms). They will eat useful, indifferent and pathogenic mushrooms - therefore will clean up!

I enjoy when I see mushrooms ...

It is the same bacteria!

We must stop "Americanizing" and disinfecting everything ... It is the beginning of miseries. A sterile universe does not remain so (see nosocomial diseases in hospitals). And the pathogens then have, in such an unbalanced environment, so poor in life, all the space, all the food, for them. They then behave like "scum" who destroy everything!
4 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/17, 12:18

Phraucq wrote:
3) More general question: is a mulching as proposed here compatible with the cultivation of asparagus and rhubarb? I suppose yes, since the plants are installed, but better to ask ...

It works "ideally" with these perforating plants!

I have both (the asparagus, I put them on the ground, covered, a year ago; so far, a few have pierced; the others, I have not searched : "eaten away" by rodents? dried out? jellies ??? Where will they come ??? So there, it may be a little daring, and a half-failure ???)

In any case, if they are established, they pierce with astonishing ease: rhubarb raises a dome of hay, before emerging!
1 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 18/04/17, 15:05

Did67 wrote:1) No problem for transplanting. Particularly for transplanting plants in pots: open a "hole", transplant even if the earth seems compact ...

Excuse me for interfering ...

I try to limit myself in questions, but here I take advantage to ask for a trick that I am a little ragged.

Here: under the hay last autumn direct on the grass of the meadow, it is not so much the compactness of the soil that bother me (because it is not really compact ... except perhaps deep?)
It is rather the dense root tissue that subsists in the soil (roots of the old meadow grasses, grasses and others) ...

I planted, planted seedlings in it, and I wonder if it is better to pluck a max of these roots, or leave without doing anything (except holes for the plants of course)?
in other words, are these "old" roots not a hindrance for the good development of the roots of the vegetables that we are going to put there?
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/04/17, 15:28

Julienmos,

I would rather say that the decomposition of the roots leaves an easy place, and that if it intervenes later, they feed them.
And pulling them out amounts to turning the soil over, they should no longer be "pullable".
Or try a bit of both, to see.

Olivier.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/04/17, 15:48

Suite,

If you already make a hole for transplanting, most of the roots will be removed, the grasses have largely superficial roots. Those of your transplants should go down first.
Olivier
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/17, 16:31

If the herbs are dead, it is "fresh organic matter", which begins to decompose. It is, "technically", very similar to wet hay which decomposes on the surface. Good food for soil organisms ...

And indeed, this will create "cracks" that benefit the plants you install ...

Moreover, it releases mineral elements where the roots of your plants will pass ... Not to mention the formation of small vein of humic substances.

That's positive!
1 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 18/04/17, 16:47

Thank you for your answers, it is true that I also lean to leave the roots in place. After all, when green manures are mended in the spring, the roots remain in the soil (which they have helped to decompose).

Indeed, most of the herbs of the ex-prairie are dead, that's why I am a little surprised that their roots are still so present ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/17, 18:50

Julienmos wrote:... that's why I'm a little surprised that their roots are still so present ...

We are coming out of winter. It was all in the "fridge"!
0 x
Valoul
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Valoul » 16/06/17, 18:51

Hello,

After months of absences I come back to give you a little cuckoo, mainly to share you my last months.
So I finally laid 19 rectangular bales of hay in October-November on my lawn on sandy soil.

Winter has effectively crushed all this, winter I spent preparing my garden plan, reading Ruth Stout etc.

We are at the gates of summer and I must confess that I am ra-vie.

Delighted to have discovered you, delighted to have persevered, delighted to be self-convinced that it works because it makes sense, quite simply.

With the exception of the peas which have all died under the slugs (and nothing has come to an end), everything rolls.
The chlets and cabbages suffer a little from the heat, potatoes and beets are slower because of the lack of water but what happiness that hay.
No or few weeds, and it's just pulling itself out. I have to water less than my neighbors because the earth remains wet despite the heat and the wind.
I nevertheless cultivate my carrots in ferment and I do not sow in the hay, I sow in pot and repot but it is so quickly done given the tenderness of the soil that I could dig the hole for the plant by hand.

And I confirm that the heads of the passers-by change with the months that pass.
The first were curious, even mocking, and there, many stopped to enjoy the sight and were sincerely interested.

I share a few views of the kitchen garden (it is small eh ..)

IMG_8251.JPG

Onions, Fennels, Gherkins

IMG_8250.JPG

Cabbage

IMG_8249.JPG

Potatoes

IMG_8248.JPG

Courgettes, spaghetti squash

IMG_8247.JPG

Corn

IMG_8246.JPG

Pears and beets

IMG_8245.JPG

Salads (including a rise in seeds), lettuce, snap, artichokes, zucchini

IMG_8244.JPG

And my pictures are again crooked :-D
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/06/17, 09:44

Valoul wrote:
We are at the gates of summer and I must confess that I am ra-vie.

Delighted to have discovered you, delighted to have persevered, delighted to be self-convinced that it works because it makes sense, quite simply.

I am delighted with this feedback (after the "cold shower" of negative feedback from "macro", elsewhere ...).

It is indeed "logical". The "Potager du Laesseux" is an "agronomic" construction, based on knowledge ... So logical that it is logical !!! It is not a "religion", "beliefs" ...
0 x