Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 17:41

[Edit the 11.12.2016] A summary of this thread - become very long - is online on another thread:

agriculture / the-garden-of-the-lazy-summary-t15042.html

The direct link to the Excel file: https://framacalc.org/4swDi7EPa1

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Go on another thread, 1360 gently reminded me that some expected returns. It motivated me.

State flu today, no strength to act, then a little time to fight with the computer - which, as you know, is not my area of ​​excellence !!!!

So, listening to old Cohen's "Olds ideas" [which proves that you can age well and "find yourself"] ...

The photos above are all in the same part of my garden, which I recall from the past; it is only part of my "expés" that we will call, to find your way around, the "hay" experiment:

1) in living memory, it was a natural meadow. It is more of a dry meadow, at the top of the slope, facing south-west, so the sun "hits" quite a bit; shallow soil - at spade depth, you hit pebbles ...

It is located 340 m. It was therefore about to 10 15 days behind the plain of Alsace.

2) July 2013, + mowing hay harvest (a farmer)

3) August 2013: recovery of round bales of hay bad, held on the grass began to push; Double thickness before compaction, it should do about 30 cm hay ... The area you'll see (about 60 m²) was covered with a large round ball

Winter is spent on it. Doing nothing, of course.

So everything I realize here is played from this spring, early without NO TILLAGE. NI BECHE. OR PICK !!!

A) Planting

It is well known (and this is scientifically supported) that fresh, decaying organic matter has an anti-germination effect. At least if it is woody material (wood, brushwood ...; to be checked for cellulosic material). This is what explains, with the absence of light, that this spring, everything is "clean" [well almost, we will come back to it!]

So I thought about sowing in rows after having "opened" the hay, which is now packed (more than a few cms thick), only on the width necessary for sowing and emergence: about 2 cm wide (or "3 fingers").

So I stretched a measuring line [Update: today I cut along a board, which holds and "wedges" the hay]. And released the big kitchen knife. [Updated 2015: I now use a bread knife with notches ; hay is cut much more easily

To rule a little better, and avoid close contact between the decaying matter and my seedlings, I used a small hand claw 3 teeth and went behind:

[Update 2015: there is less weed the narrower the groove; So in the meantime I have perfected the system: instead of cutting a groove and opening with the "3 teeth", I cut two equidistant grooves of 3 cm maximum; I gently remove the hay without damaging the clean cutting edge; I tightened the two rear tines, so that they pass in the furrow without moving the hay which remained in place between the rows; I spread ; I go back; I tamp if the earth is dry - never if it is wet, so as not to "concrete"!]

Especially do not put hay on the sown furrows, of course, since it is this coverage that blocks the germination of weed! This would block the same way the lifting of vegetables planted.

So now, with a board, pruning shears and a wheelbarrow, my only garden tools:

I then sown. And as I experience, I covered thinly (about 1 cm) in two ways:

- Commercial potting soil (with two bags 7 or 8 euros, I made half a dozen lines / m length about 10

- The land of molehills, collected (as enjoy their work, it is a good loose soil)

[Updated end 2015: I used neither one nor the other; the soil is an unnecessary expense - the money, it is also the work: it is the result of time spent working under job! -; Earth molehills generates excessive exercise of weeds; the best is to sow directly into the ground as it is; I do not do that!

The result, photographed date:

Edit by Remundo 13 / 07 / 2016
Changing the title:

"Gardening more than organic in direct sowing without fatigue?" BECOMES "Le Potager du Laesseux: Gardening more than organic without fatigue "
Last edited by Did67 the 08 / 01 / 16, 12: 35, 7 edited once.
5 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 17:43

Observing the following very quickly showed me that it is the opening of the plant cover that leaves a chance for weeds.

So I asked myself the question whether we could transplant directly through this cover, without "opening".

This is the following.

B) transplanting test directly through the hay, without "opening": it works!

So I removed the plants sown in row planter, a hole, and presto, it's over.

That's what happens today:

Advantage: no "zone" where the earth is bare and where weeds will germinate!

To validate the time, but I recommend sleep and already!
6 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/05/14, 17:54

I have only one word to describe your success immoral! : Cheesy:
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 17:55

C) Plant bulbs

Following my planting, my wife had planted the bulbs (onions, shallots), you see above, using the same method of opening furrows.

When I saw that this "opening" was a window for weeds, I wondered if the "anti-germination" effect applied to the bulbs.

So I bought some shallots I planted directly in the planter, through hay, without doing anything else.

Here is the result [attention planting date is delayed for at least 15 3 days or weeks; not compare the vegetative development]

One can immediately see that:

a) there is no adverse effect

b) it is much cleaner!

So from now on, it will be the "bulbs" and "transplanting" method: directly, through the hay, without "opening"!

NB: the literature and the "we say" recommend never to put bulbs after organic manure, this would promote rot. [Update: 2 after harvest, I confirm that my bulbs keep well!]

So please wait for the end of this expedition! If it is, this summer everything will be rotten !!!
Last edited by Did67 the 06 / 01 / 16, 17: 37, 2 edited once.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 18:05

Conclusions ???

Provisional !!!

1) My garden is at least as beautiful as when I was getting tired. Probably more .... And do not fuck a train is exciting - especially when you love the challenge! [We pass a little mad when you place a bale of hay and explaining to the neighbor than it is to the garden]

2) However, two obstacles:

a) the birds come and scrape cover the seedlings ...

They are dipping quickly that there are worms in shambles! [Doing a lot of work!]

Two solutions or 3:

- a cat ? but how to tie there ???

- A net to cover ??? This is what recommends Soltner [Update: this year 2015, I had to put nets]

- Board behind the birds with a rake grass and rediscover; takes some time, but is not a big job; that's what I did.

b) voles!

(I guess that's right); they find ideal conditions, away from the cover ...

So they put the bazaar, cover seedlings ...

Later, they will go after the harvest. Here is an example, a picture of my BRF test last year:

For the moment :

a) trapping was a total failure; they do not care about my face, pass next ... I tried two kinds of traps.

[Update: I have since discovered effective traps; to see further]

b) I saw with pleasure a kestrel falcon flit in the neighborhood

c) and also neighborhood cats

d) I practice Buddhism: to the extent that gardening does not ask me a lot of effort, why not share with them ??? grow twice surfaces and one is left ???

Yes, but if they take all ????

[Update: this is what happened in 2014: 24 on planted celery, no crop - not one! All bloated]!

Will there be a balance with their own predators ???

So I act feebly, keep a little and we'll see ...

3) Slugs

At this stage, does not seem to be a major problem, nor "superior" to what I knew at this place where I worked the soil.

The garden is surrounded by meadows, I always had slugs.

But I have always also seen "beetles" (golden beetle?), Their enemy ...

It is only critical at planting. There all can spend!

I did a treatment Ferramol at planting. Seen in carrot rows at one point, after the hot dry period, the rains returned, everything would go there soon! There was an involuntary thinning by slugs!

The Ferramol is a ferrous sulfate. The Sulphur and iron are trace elements that plants need. For many plants, it brings sulfur (crucifer) or iron (in case of chlorosis - yellowing leaves, with just the veins which remain green, a sign of iron deficiency).

This cuts off the appetite of the slugs. They don't die "drooling". So observe the disappearance of the grains to know if there are still any. Don't look for the slime!

My objective is to avoid any contribution of anything, including products approved as "organic" (re-read some of my exchanges with some about organic dogmas; I am for organic, but my ambition is to do better, therefore "more than organic", based on a cyclical and natural agriculture. For my pleasure).

But Ferramol, unlike copper compounds - toxic - for me, a product quite acceptable. Its only drawback is loved and not last!
Last edited by Did67 the 06 / 01 / 16, 17: 42, 2 edited once.
5 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/05/14, 18:33

The literature and the "they say" recommend never to put bulbs after organic manuring, this would promote rot.

There are probably a big difference between your intake of hay and manure rich in nitrogenous materials.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 18:52

Yes. That's what I thought too. Otherwise, I would not have tried 100% of my production on this area.

However, hay is richer than straw. Which is more than mulch shrub ...

This is why I "take advantage" of this windfall: in addition to the issue of no-till / keeping the soil covered, it also fits into my scheme of "horizontal transfers" of fertility. In particular for elements other than nitrogen.

The overall concept I described above, I believe:

a) an area "fallow for legumes" - in this case the Alexandrian clover; grows fast, freezes in winter ...

In this area, the soil is "recharged" with natural nitrogen.

b) a zone in BRF; once my cycles are well established, it will come after the clover; the BRF will "immobilize" the excess nitrogen (this famous "depressive effect"), to then "release" it gradually.

This is the area of ​​mushrooms - extracting minerals.

This is the humification of the area; production of stable humus from lignin.

By putting on clover end of life, I maintain food for earthworms.

c) clearing by unrolling hay; recovery after perennial crops (raspberries, strawberries) or "infested" areas are treated with hay as described above; intense activity of earthworms; weed smothering with a few exceptions (including bulbous plants and some rhizomatous plants and ... plantain and bedstraw!) ...

These exceptions, taking into account the very good structure of the soil, tear well, without "breaking" ... Manual lifting represents a limited work, and is done "in passing" ... As everything or almost comes, it is very effective ...
Last edited by Did67 the 11 / 11 / 14, 12: 01, 1 edited once.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/05/14, 19:43

It probably adds another consideration: the hay intake is the surface which is not comparable to the incorporation of manure.
Anyway your experiments are very interesting.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 22:18

I reminds that this thread is from another which was asked how to make it easier tillage ...

I then asked the question: "but why do you work the soil ???"

The pictures seem to bring an early answers!

"To get tired for not much! All because we always said we had to do like that!"
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/05/14, 22:25

One of the biggest jobs is to remove the hay birds, scratching, projected on seedlings germinating.

I found the picture:

This is chewy who did not lift, but found herself covered with hay ...

So it must be clear.

- On seedlings, it can block the lifting

- moreover, it is more difficult to wash the lamb's lettuce; there is a risk of having small pieces of hay [note that it is less toxic than the pesticides on the lamb's lettuce from the supermarket, which, for their part, are absolutely invisible! So me, that doesn't bother me. But that could "block" narrow minds! In this case, the hay is "dirty"!]

[[PS: for those who didn't know and who still think that lamb's lettuce is just a winter "salad", there are now varieties "for the whole year" - here it is. variety "Gala"; we're enjoying ourselves right now!]

[Update at the end of 2015: the problem has grown to such an extent that I now hang anti-bird nets over the seedlings; for a few euros, the problem is definitely solved; the presence, in the vicinity, of thickets offers a comfortable lodging to the blackbirds, which as soon as one leaves the place, rush to dig and feed on worms ... As soon as one approaches, the "whistleblowers" scare everyone away]
Last edited by Did67 the 08 / 01 / 16, 11: 10, 2 edited once.
4 x