Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 10:33

sicetaitsimple wrote:
But after the frosts start, I do not really see how a green manure will develop. In short I prefer at least for now cover (leaves, hay) as the boards are released.

Perhaps an avenue to explore: organize the cohabitation between vegetables arriving at the end of the cycle and covering plants (including installing them in the vegetable - cabbage, leeks, etc...). At home spontaneously, it's speedwells, chickweed, plantain, wood sorrel... When you harvest, the upholstery continues. Installed, often, they resist frost. You unroll there, at the end of January...

It's just an idea.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 10:50

I think that like EV, it would be appropriate to be interested in different kinds of winter radishes (white, black). Their root system is powerful. They cover well. And we should be able to easily produce our own seeds, in abundance...

I think it replaces mustard, commonly used...
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 17/01/18, 11:09

Did67 wrote:
So the vegetables play the role of EV perfectly !!! I can guarantee you that under my leeks, the ground is badly "aggradated" (as long as you leave a little chickweed or other coverings between, because the foliage of the leeks is a little light as "protection") ... You eat what you need and the rest will have been an EV ...

This is also what I think, when I used the term "green manure", I was referring to seedlings of plants not intended for human consumption on released beds.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 11:44

In your case (constrained space), I think you need less "tidying up" things: culture then "liberated space" then EV...

There are free spaces within a culture itself: where such a plant has not found its place, or where you have picked it creating a "hole"... Between the rows of leeks, there has light reaching the ground, etc. All of these are opportunities to nourish your living system!

It is therefore necessary to "knit" and manage to make "plants intended for food/ground cover" coexist with "plants intended as food for the gardener"... The latter can have a second life as "plants intended for food/soil cover" (for example a head cabbage from which you just harvest the head when you want to eat a cabbage). While some settle (inter-row weeds once the hay is "digested"), others decline or are awaiting harvest...

Organizing this "bazaar" already requires a little thought, depending on the situation (soil, climate) and tastes...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 11:50

For information and without advertising: I have just discovered the online sales site for individuals of one of the major French manufacturers of plastic jars/cups/containers for professionals (Soparco)...

http://www.monpotdefleurs.com/

I ordered reusable sowing plates (made of fairly thick plastic). Attention, the same thing exists in much thinner plastic, for single use - even if by being very careful, you can sometimes recycle. As I recycled individual buckets from the store...
1 x
bobbysolo67
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bobbysolo67 » 17/01/18, 11:53

Did67 wrote:b) Note that during this phase, the "legumes" will be inefficient, the "negative feedback" causing them to find enough nitrogen; they "refuse" to deal with bacteria (rhizobia); tear off and check: they will have no or few nodules!

But suddenly, they behave like any other plants, "consuming" the N that would otherwise be leached. It's not so bad! It's a form of self-regulation of the living system, definitely very well done...

Do not focus on them for this reason of "symbiotic fixation", but rather as "rapid producers of biomass", resistant to drought... They could come into play if the soil had been "starved" of nitrogen, for example by intake of poor substances (wood, sawdust, dead leaves, etc.).

To complete, here is an article found on Gilles Domenech's website:

http://jardinonssolvivant.fr/les-legumi ... partie-12/
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 12:14

I have already mentioned the FiBL, a Swiss organic agriculture research institute (located, it's not a joke, in Frick!).

This is what I call "organic conventional", quite intensive. So a lot of differences with my way of seeing things: tillage, "organic" treatment and fertilization products, compost, etc...

It nevertheless remains an absolute reference: it has existed for I don't know how long (and they have tests that must be nearly fifty years old); it is systematically "objectified" research (repetitions, statistical processing, etc...).

I have just discovered their guide "Phytosanitary advice for organic market gardening", which can be purchased, but which can also be downloaded for free in pdf, there is a small tab which allows it ("Kostenloser Download" then "" Ganze Publication").

In principle this link gives you the download directly: https://shop.fibl.org/chde/mwdownloads/ ... nk/id/662/
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 17/01/18, 12:28

Did67 wrote:Organizing this "bazaar" already requires a little thought, depending on the situation (soil, climate) and tastes...

That's what I try to do!

But nature does help, she is very quick to "fill" the holes!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/18, 12:39

sicetaitsimple wrote:
But nature does help, she is very quick to "fill" the holes!

If we give up fighting against it and on the contrary, we "rely" on its so-called natural mechanisms...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/01/18, 12:52

Did67 wrote:I think that like EV, it would be appropriate to be interested in different kinds of winter radishes (white, black). Their root system is powerful. They cover well. And we should be able to easily produce our own seeds, in abundance...

I think it replaces mustard, commonly used...

indeed we can easily harvest the seeds and be independent in terms of seeds, I just have one question, to offer beautiful roots to our pests for the winter is it reasonable
they are already having fun in season with your celeriac and your carrots, so if in the off-peak season, you open another supermarket for them, there you go straight into breeding
then I am in this reflection, if we sow the EV before the vegetable harvest, but not too early so that it does not come to compete with the end of development of our crops, we must be able to sow it before the frosts
after finding lamb's lettuce in mustard or winter radishes : Mrgreen: but the leek must do it

so there are still things to invent
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)