Baby boomers, this golden generation

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

Baby boomers, this golden generation

by Christophe » 19/11/14, 20:13

One more reason why the younger generations "suck" life ...

They won the lottery of life but do not give back what they received: how the richest generation of old people shatters the economy by not spending

They got it all. Growth rates of 5% and full employment to celebrate their arrival in the workforce. The fall in rates and the disappearance of inflation to swell savings accounts and real estate assets. But the baby boomers constitute a golden generation, now retired, which prevents the reproduction of what made their fortune.

(...)

http://www.atlantico.fr/decryptage/ont- ... 59313.html
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 19/11/14, 21:57

It is a superficial article which shows a linear vision of history.
The "baby boomers" benefited from a relatively favorable period (for which they were not responsible) which could only be momentary *, it would be illusory to believe that today there is the possibility of applying the same recipe.
Inflation would penalize the most vulnerable without boosting employment and the austerity policy is establishing a perverse cycle ...

* Which contradicts both the explanations of this era and the projections to which they gave rise.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/11/14, 19:50

Bertrand Méheust understands perfectly that our difficulty in perceiving reality results from our tendency to extrapolate a given situation, however, each moment of history is a tangent to a curve, which radically distorts understanding.
In his book: "The oxymoron's politics", he underlines that our time (in a small place *) could be only one"little bubble of justice and prosperity "In the immensity of time and that this little bubble"may be cursed by future generations as a dark age of humanity."

* It is I who add this limitation.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Baby boomers, this golden generation

by moinsdewatt » 22/11/14, 14:22

Christophe wrote:One more reason why the younger generations "suck" life ...

They won the lottery of life but do not give back what they received: how the richest generation of old people shatters the economy by not spending

They got it all. Growth rates of 5% and full employment to celebrate their arrival in the workforce. The fall in rates and the disappearance of inflation to swell savings accounts and real estate assets. But the baby boomers constitute a golden generation, now retired, which prevents the reproduction of what made their fortune.

(...)

http://www.atlantico.fr/decryptage/ont- ... 59313.html

But yes, they will spend on assistance for the elderly, retirement homes, etc.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 22/11/14, 15:10

The analysis which claims that the ex baby boomers hoard what "prevents (rait) the reproduction of what made his fortune" is an absurdity which takes no account of the changes which have taken place in the world economy and which makes them " recipes "(which were not) earlier are simply no longer valid.

And, despite the remark by Moinsdewatt,
But if, they will spend on elderly assistance, retirement homes, etc ...

this will not change the situation: the generations who will "benefit" from a minimum wage to take care of the elderly, will not be able to claim an equivalent service when their turn comes ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/11/14, 22:02

Above, the sentence was unfortunately truncated, which takes away its meaning; you had to read:
Bertrand Méheust understands perfectly that our difficulty in perceiving reality results from our tendency to extrapolate a given situation, however, each moment of history is perceived as a tangent to a curve, which radically distorts understanding.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 27/11/14, 11:09

I think this article must have been written by someone somewhat disconnected from the reality of everyday French people and "old pti" living on miserable pensions!

It is hardly possible to compare the "baby boomers" with the current generations!
Most of the "elders" that I know would leap reading such an article which is anarcho-Trotskyist propaganda!
Many elderly people started working at the age of 14 to take up jobs that almost no young people would do these days: farmers, servants, miners, weavers, etc.
Most baby boomers have experienced serious conflicts, directly or indirectly, (War in Indochina and Algeria) and are fraught with trauma.
A large number come from immigration and we left their countries to live remember in shanty towns and dormitory cities!
The rights of women were not at all the same at the "time" ... the list goes on!

A very large number of elderly people live below the poverty line and those despite having a "non-stop" career started very early, thank you France!

On the contrary, I think that the present generations know a standard of living which protects them (for how long?) Much more than their grandparents.
The problems of unemployment, let us recall, the cult of infinite production and economic expansionism, it is therefore necessary to seek the deep mechanisms, and not to look for easy scapegoats: the "old", immigrants etc. .etc ..
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/11/14, 11:30

"Most", "A large number", "A very large number" is not very precise.

Me too, I know "grandpa boomers" who are in (great) difficulty, but I know at least as many who benefit from a pension higher than my current salary and who live in a house bigger than mine. they paid off in less than 20 years.
And yet, according to the statistics, I am in a "privileged" category.

However, I agree with you, they should not be turned into scapegoats responsible for the current difficulties.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 27/11/14, 11:49

Gaston wrote:Me too, I know "grandpa boomers" who are in (great) difficulty, but I know at least as many who benefit from a pension higher than my current salary and who live in a house bigger than mine. they paid off in less than 20 years.

Yes and how much? the majority? certainly not!
No era escapes the "class struggle".
So there will always be the wealthy, and the privileged few ...

The "thirty glorious years" allowed the advent of what is called the "middle" class (themselves subdivided: poor average, median average, high average).
The latter made it possible to operate consumption while guaranteeing a relative distribution of wealth *, unfortunately such a process was not included in the algorithm of economic development, it was only a phase, the phenomenon can also be observed in many countries (eg China).
The error, however, is believe that this phase is normal.
And it is this belief which pushes the populations not to take into account the "system".
It's a bit like the story of the frog immersed in a heated pan, at first it gets cold, then comes a period of comfort, before the irreparable suffering!

* It is the high middle class which pushed a certain number of observers to conclude that the "baby boomers" were the lucky ones, this analysis does not resist an investigation in all the layers of the French company.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/11/14, 17:35

In this rather short period, but which was "sold" as the beginning of abundance for all, some were privileged and others, the most numerous, could dream of becoming so.

Today, after the despicable interlude of "working more, to earn more", those who profess to sell dreams no longer dare the old formulas and promise us (it's safer!) To work more, to earn less, with all the same (we do not redo!) in sight an improbable "recovery" which would be, by a particularly obscure reasoning, the result of these efforts.

It is certain that in the sequence "belt tightening" and "found prosperity", only the first term has a sad consistency ...
0 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"