Wood Boiler Installation gas coupled thermosiphon

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
LaKahina
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wood Boiler Installation gas coupled thermosiphon

by LaKahina » 10/05/14, 19:35

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. So sorry, if I ask questions that have already been asked, at least in part.

My problem is as follows: I am renovating an old house in IdF. This house has no heating and I would like to install a stove with a boiler which should in principle be running continuously, except when I am not there. Since I have to install a gas water heater anyway, I thought it would be smarter to couple my stove with a gas boiler. However, this confronts me with two types of problems, coupling and installation in thermosiphon since I was immediately acquired by the idea of ​​not depending on EdF.

I had some contacts with heating engineers who all look at me with an odd look, because for them the installation of a circulator constitutes real progress. Then, they explain to me that anyway, there is already a circulator in the gas boiler. So why not take advantage of it all the more since the large pipes made necessary by the thermosiphon would not be very aesthetic. There is also the problem of finding a place to install the expansion tank which should apparently be opened and installed at the highest point, so under the eaves which I have just isolated…

I have a plumber who could do a conventional installation, but who hesitates in front of the complexity of the task with in particular the need to calculate the slopes.

Maybe there is on this forum knowledgeable readers who could share their experience with me so that "my" plumber can get started: So, concretely what are the constraints when coupling a wood boiler and a gas boiler, two installed in thermosiphon? What are the elements necessary to achieve this coupling (buffer tank, etc.)? Is the slope calculation really rocket science or can it be done randomly as I read in an old post on this forum ?

Thank you for your answers !
0 x
Cruzeur
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Cruzeur » 20/05/14, 09:59

Hello LaKhina

I work as a consultant in a company that manufactures high-performance boilers. For safety and reliability issues, one of the conditions for mounting said cookers is that they can operate as a thermosiphon. So your request is not weird. The way to operate the boiler stove in thermosiphon is to raise the water leaving the boiler to the upper plane of the house and only after it goes down to the radiators and to battery which, under these conditions, can even stay at a lower level of the stove. As for the vase everything works normally by placing it, too, in the upper plane of the house.

So much for now.
Good luck.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/05/14, 11:55

Welcome LaKhina,

Here is a subject which gives the method of calculating a thermosiphon: https://www.econologie.com/forums/calculs-th ... t7084.html

It is for solar but it is adaptable to any heat source!

And here is a subject on the thermosiphon in central heating: https://www.econologie.com/forums/recherche- ... t7082.html
0 x