Belgium broke out, debate on the power of media

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

Belgium broke out, debate on the power of media

by Christophe » 14/12/06, 14:04

This subject could, at first sight, not interest the non-Belgians but it is ultimately very important. Thank you for reading it to the end ...

Last night, a show in pseudo-direct, creates shock in Belgium. I did not see it live but I was able to catch up with me today because of the controversy it provokes.

This program "simulated" in a very realistic way, the independence of Flanders (the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium and which makes up more than 50% of the inhabitants of Belgium).

A short summary of the facts:

-at 20:20 pm on RTBF1 begins a weekly program ("Question à la une" which also deals with very interesting subject such as energy or the environment)

-to 20h22: snow and stall of the show as if there had been a piracy of the waves

- A special edition of the News with the Belgian PPDA begins. This special edition started with a disclamer screen: "This show may not be a fiction" and no other disclamer appears on the screen (so people who took the current show are fooled)

Content of this special edition:

Flanders declared its independence by an overwhelming parliamentary majority (a few actors are posted in front of the parliamentary palace), in bulk: the king and the queen are in exile (the royal plane was filmed), Antwerp is in jubilation (no doubt archive footage of a football match), transport to Flanders is all paralyzed, paper checks between the zones, Axel Red is interviewed (with a big smile all the same): "my garden is cut in 2 ", spontaneous demonstrations are organized in real life in Brussels ... etc ...

After a few minutes, the president of the RTBF comes on the set to talk about this event. Everyone, who took the program in progress, believes it necessarily ... and the info or rather the intox spreads among friends very quickly (+ 50% of volume on the SMS sent, the site of the RTBF is down ...)

After only 30 minutes, the hoax is up! A permanent banner appears at the bottom of the show.

First analyzes / reactions:

- French-speaking politicians all strongly condemn the method of journalists: "irresponsible, unacceptable, suicidal, lack of deontonology ..."

But all know that the problem of the independence of Flanders really exists (Flemish extremists far from being an isolated minority) and that it is taboo!

- Thousands of mail / phone call / SMS have arrived at RTBF. Opinions are mixed. To see on the different sites.

The goal of the director of the show is far exceeded: to create a shock on a very real subject!

Our analysis:

This show showed that, if done right, the power of the media could be immense. We "gobble" everything (or almost) ... and we also lack a critical mind and desire to verify the source (what does it cost to zap on another channel? Or to consult another website?) .

The reference to the O. Wells radio show in 1938 ("War of the World" spoken on the radio) is obvious ...

The media is indeed the 4ieme power that can unleash the crowds!

Hoping that this is not a general rehearsal for a true Flemish ceasefire .... (apparently Vlaams Belang, Flemish equivalent of the FN, has largely participated in the show)

More:

http://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/ARTICLE_058177
http://www.lesoir.be/chat/2006/12/13/la ... -belgique/
http://www.lameuse.be/la_une/liege/2006 ... _une.shtml
http://www.lalibre.be/article.phtml?id= ... _id=320364

reactions: http://chat.sudpresse.be/2006/12/13/not ... re-argent/

Why such a topic on econology?

Discuss the power of the media, their ethical limits, the veracity of their information, the colusions they might have with politics or industry ... etc etc
Last edited by Christophe the 14 / 12 / 06, 15: 43, 1 edited once.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 14/12/06, 14:37

And the other party what does she do? She asks for her attachment to France?
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/06, 15:01

Ben if Flanders is more Belgian, there is more Belgium.

It is more than 60% of the economic activity of the country ... and again I count the "eurocrats" of Brussels who are easily delocalized "if necessary" ....

Uh and in fact there are still 3 other parts:

- German speaking (5% I think)
- wallonia (the one you mention)
- Brussels

The 4 "big" regions all have their own government (except maybe German-speaking I don't even know) and are subdivided into provinces which also have their own institutions ...

Ah well ... Belgium is small but it's damn complex :D
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 14/12/06, 15:07

Yes, I heard about it, we should do it more often.

Personally, I am basing myself so that my children and those of others never take a media information to 1er degree, or in any case, with some reserve

But it is true that the "populasse" often wait to see if there will be no denial to come.

I imagine that on the stock market, the damage is important and that politicians and big bosses have had cold sweats; it is well done for their Gu ... the. (to the swindlers); the stock market is a bewildering world where billions are played on a rumor: too laughable.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/06, 15:10

Uh I do not know if there was an influence on the Belgian Stock Exchange ... In any case if the show had taken place during the trading hours, it is clear that it would have had an influence!

I think it was still limited ...

If not entirely agree for the criticism of the veracity of the media info ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 14/12/06, 15:16

I learned this afternoon at info ... I found EX-CEL-SLOW. One thing is certain: once again the Belgians are the absolute masters of the second degree and surrealism !!

If someone finds the video somewhere on the web, send it fast !!

When we see the virulence and the number of reactions on the forums Belgian newspapers, we can see that RTBF has put its finger on a real issue that hurts. A taboo ? Why would the Walloons deny a necessary debate? Everyone knows the Belgian malaise. Why do politicians pretend they are shocked? Hello hypocrisy.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/12/06, 15:21

Rulian wrote:I learned this afternoon at info ... I found EX-CEL-SLOW. One thing is certain: once again the Belgians are the absolute masters of the second degree and surrealism !!

If someone finds the video somewhere on the web, send it fast !!

Uh I think it will be available in the afternoon ... if it is not already on soft P2P ... I'm looking ...

Rulian wrote: A taboo ? Why the Walloons would deny a debate that is needed. Everyone knows the Belgian malaise. Why do politicians pretend they are shocked? Hello hypocrisy.

Very good summary :)
Walloon politicians condemn this program because it raises a big taboo ... Finally good on the other hand as a foreigner since 18 months in Belgium, I can not judge too much (lack of hindsight ... necessarily)
0 x
hug
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Belgium broke out, debate on the power of the media

by hug » 14/12/06, 16:17

I do not even understand how we can believe more than 5 seconds!
If such a vote had taken place, it would have been on the agenda of the Assembly. Belgium is a democratic state, all the same. And inevitably, we would have spoken, we would have read articles on the subject, in Belgium and throughout Europe.
And then, of course, zap, check ...

Good lesson for the necessary hindsight in the face of information.

On the other hand, on the substance, the chosen subject is politically debatable.
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 14/12/06, 16:19

Hello
Woodcutter wrote:And the other party what does she do? She asks for her attachment to France?

Why a small country has to squabble? to another..
Luxembourg just next is doing well in Europe!
Despite the small countries they are all connected together for trade and business. (the borders are symbolic)
Why from this perspective there are so many small communes sometimes geographically glued, why it does not merge? it would diminish the mayors and councilors and make the services profitable? , yet each one holds to his steeple ..

What justifies a country, its language, its customs, its religion, the territorial surface, or its population?
Yet in Quebec we have a 3 surface like France and a population like Sweden, and we are told that we are too small to survive!

In Quebec we have been living this for a long time, it is roughly the same principle in Canada, provinces and a central government, and a different language in Quebec.
I do not think journalists or TV Even private, they are all Pro Federalists making such a statement ..
He would show the door fast enough, the journalists should promote Canada. The freedom of the press exists, but the choice of the journalists belongs to the one who engages them, and it is sorted on the shutter. When one looks at who are the big bosses of the media one has all understood ...
I think in the French media it's the same thing, if a journalist was promoting for Corsica or an independent Brittany he would not stay long in his seat ..
Lastly the federal elected officials have just voted a law that recognizes Quebec as a nation (within Canada)
Like the Innu (First Nation)
An anglophone minister resigned after this vote, it was against his principles.

Andre
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 14/12/06, 16:42

Andre wrote:Hello
Woodcutter wrote:And the other party what does she do? She asks for her attachment to France?

Why a small country has to squabble? to another..[...]
There was some irony in my words ...
Belgian biker friends have often told me about a Belgian party that is fighting for France, it must not be hard to find them.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."