Pollution in China: an uplifting story

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Pollution in China: an uplifting story

by martien007 » 12/04/08, 17:36

It is frightening to see how China pollutes its environment to grow by more than 10% a year, scorning its people and letting poor peasants die of cancer due to toxic pollutants coming out of factories.

This reportage on Arte reportage was awarded, it's crazy to see that and how the Western eyes close their eyes on these Chinese horrors (we only talk about the Tibetan problem, perhaps the tree that hides the forest?).

To watch absolutely to have a real idea of ​​what is happening in this country:

http://www.arte.tv/static/c1/chine2008/ ... chine.html
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/04/08, 19:10

Absolutely,

This is why it is urgent to develop powerful and cheap renewable alternatives to equip this country, and also the poor countries, which will suffocate the planet by gradually reaching the energy lifestyle of the West with the current technologies.

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/04/15, 13:15

Topic of the subject

Since 1 month another documentary on pollution in China makes the buzz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9qSjflwck
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 21/09/15, 07:32

The pollution in China is all the more worrying as they build full of nuclear reactors.
If they are as vigilant as for industrial sites containing chemicals that an explode burns from time to time due to falsification / corruption, it is no longer a probability of accident, it is a certainty in the short term
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 21/09/15, 08:45

Hello
Since 1 month another documentary on pollution in China makes the buzz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS9qSjflwck
I know I'm not going to make friends, but it's not about LA China, but only the big ultra-concentration towns where those who have let themselves be caught in the mirror trap of the larks of "modernity" are crowded. Indeed if this pollution were compared to a population / area / emissions ratio, this pollution would go unnoticed as it would be minor. Of course we have to be concerned about it since the situation exists, but we can even say that it is a "chance" that there is such a concentration which alone has made it possible to become aware of the situation and allow (or will allow), possibly, to take more serious measures than masks (which in fact mask the real situation). Unfortunately, the inhabitants of these concentrations have become attached to this deadly milieu for professional reasons a few times, but also because the big cities offer the advantages of these disadvantages of knowing everything at hand without having to travel far. Sadly and fortunately, again, you can't have butter and butter money together.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 22/09/15, 00:59

Hello everyone. It's nerd but I agree with Janic, without being a friend : Cheesy: Relativize! What does UNDP tell us:

China's global champion of hindsight "extreme poverty"! (Who would have believed it?) Already there it is reassuring, it means that China cares a lot, despite what people say, about its population. Half a billion people is a gigantic scale: it is almost one in two people! It is also reassuring by the fact that it shows that they have other things to do than going to war against Dae $ h, they work and are not belligerent with their neighbors! (Oh yes, Japan, blah ...) How far is the yellow peril, where we were already talking about the Third World War against "communism"! Re-Bof ...

I do not know if you imagine, but it is 1,5x the population of all the United States saved from misery!

Now let's take a look at Co2's emissions by comparing China and the United States:

Source: World Bank, Wikipedia, other UN agencies.

Near 3x less emissions than the US, who would have thought?
We could still talk about the production of solar hot water:

Source: >>>

75,3% in China ........ 0,4% in the USA! Who would've believed that?
And from REs by country:

And remember that photovoltaic is booming in China, the panels are sold to residents at cost!

So the girl on the video, she is very nice but she must not be very "Chinese" not to know how to look at the right proportions of the problem. She is certainly right to raise this (she will surely find enough to finance her disinfo campaigns ...), it is very very good to talk about it and think about it. But what China is doing is not going in the direction described, quite the contrary, we are witnessing a historic and exemplary recovery in just 20 years, and from many points of view. Since it was done without savage hegemony, and in peace for the rest of the world. moreover, China contributes through its low production costs and Sacrifices, to the recovery of the faltering world economy and unimaginable for the "average" Westerner that I am.

Ah, and I forgot, again comparatively, China builds and finances infrastructure in Africa when it plants rice there, while "contribution"from the United States to the"Peace in the world": it's already 1 million dead in Iraq (and it's not over)

After all that, I find they are pretty cool these Chinese! 8)
RTDC.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 22/09/15, 07:06

Obamot your presentation is good and I agree with you.
As far as renewable energies are concerned, they are exemplary
Nor should we forget that it will soon be the country with the most nuclear power plants. And pollution is a real problem for them. I grant you we are not doing better and even worse in some areas.
But I intervene on your text plus the last lines. If the Chinese buy land in Africa and elsewhere, it is not for the local people. Nobody can believe in such disinterestedness. It's more in order to feed their people.
By cons it is probably in their culture not to conquer far from home. At the time of Christopher Colombe they were already making boats much bigger than us and certainly able to go very far since we find traces of their passage in Australia well before the Europeans go there.
But they preferred to stay at home, probably by culture
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 22/09/15, 09:23

phil53 hello
If the Chinese buy land in Africa and elsewhere, it is not for the local people. Nobody can believe in such disinterestedness. It's more in order to feed their people.
according to a documentary on the subject; the Chinese would not buy these lands, but would rent them out to governments for (paltry) sums of money and for a long time, thus depriving indigenous people of land they did not own but simply managed for their survival food needs. In fact, they represent a workforce that can be exploited very cheaply, a kind of slavery that does not recognize itself as such. In the case of high-yielding crops, large mechanical means are used, plus the rest, and when the land has become almost sterile, they will leave the "natives" with the crumbs of their business.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 22/09/15, 10:16

Oh, sorry, that was not the subject of the thread ...

You cannot know what equalization they have in mind. What do we currently have? Political assassinations in Africa for those who do not engage in the "market economy" of the free world (inquire with the "Vulture funds" the prosecutor Ev @ Joli etc ...)! Africa is in 20 years 82 million more people in extreme poverty! Africa is WHAT WE HAVE MADE OF IT for a large part. No need to prove it, the migratory wave that is sweeping down on Europe now from the south, is only the consequence of the fact that we have not paid them for raw materials, imported food, manufactured products, at acceptable prices ... Besides, it was never, under these conditions, the north which "helped" the south, but the "south" which helped the north (words of a deputy and then councilor of 'Monique Bauer-Lagier State that I knew personally ...). So coming to give lessons to the Chinese is rather unwelcome. There is of course, and obviously, part of the output that will go to Africa. And if we want to quibble, we should already stop importing food from their homes and give them adequate means of subsistence so that they are self-sufficient, because in the meantime the hypocritical ball of the punters of the north, does not dry up, and it is not the farmer who will no longer be able to rent his land that you will feed with that .... nor him who will be able to poke around with his iPhone plowing with a buffalo!

If you want to talk about "development in the world", there are some here that are intractable, create another thread or reopen one, I am intractable : Cheesy: but do not say anything, I will participate in my modest measure ...

It is really time to change the theoretical model, we Westerners, but it is very far. End of the HS, I responded to the econological concern. And in this respect we agree.

RTDC.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Pollution in China: an edifying story

by Ahmed » 22/09/15, 12:35

One should be extremely cautious when it comes to Chinese figures and also consider the criteria on which these figures are based ...

You write:
moreover, China is contributing through its low production costs and its sacrifices, to the recovery of the faltering world economy, and in ways unimaginable for the "average" Westerner that I am.

It is true, China has constituted and remains the ultimate event of the Western model and prolongs the survival of the system by temporarily postponing its collapse, but its logic is turning against its zealous admirer.

Further:
Nearly 3x fewer emissions (CO2) than the US, who would have thought?

This is not surprising, since this figure is related to the number of inhabitants: with constant pollution, in a given country, it would decrease with a demographic expansion. It is not difficult to choose the most favorable formulation ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."