ARTE report: what happens to our cardboard?

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

ARTE report: what happens to our cardboard?

by jean63 » 14/02/07, 09:28

I saw this program on the recycling of paper and cardboard that we throw in our "blue bin" (at my place it is blue = selective sorting) on ​​ARTE report of Saturday 10/02/07 at 19 pm '"Les tribulations d' a paper in China "
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 14/02/07, 11:59

I could not see the video, but there is the text, still transport !, but it is better than burning the paper. The best would be to work with us, but there must be too much work : Shock:
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 14/02/07, 17:34

denis wrote:I could not see the video, but there is the text, still transport !, but it is better than burning the paper. The best would be to work with us, but there must be too much work : Shock:

Why?

If you don't have Real Player, you can download it for free.

If you have it, just click (left click) on "video - 23 min"on the right of the small camera, you wait a little while for it to load (unless you are not in ADSL) and it starts ..... it's worth it, we see how the Chinese transport all these papers / boxes with their trolleys !! amazing.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/02/09, 12:11

Unearthing of subject and confirmation of info: cardboard paper is well recycled in CHINA

So no I am not sure that it is not better for the environment (CO2) to burn them as heating "fuel": burning cardboard avoids burning something else ...

The video is no longer available but here is the summary:

The tribulations of a paper in China

By Jean Crépu, Pierre Bolton and Philippe Baillon - ARTE GEIE / Crescendo Films - France 2007

The demands of the world market and the weight of environmental regulations are today making the recovery and recycling of paper a crucial issue for the years to come. But the recovered cardboard market today reveals a surprising reality.
Victim of its success, the sorting of paper and cardboard generates in France a surplus of 500.000 tonnes and 5 million tonnes for the European Union. Far from being lost for everyone, our old papers have found takers, but on the other side of the planet.
With a growth of more than 9% per year and its insatiable demand for raw materials, the Chinese giant is revolutionizing the recycling markets by becoming the world's largest importer of recovered paper and cardboard.
The world of recovery has changed, waste has become a coveted raw material and the market is now global.
Bought by the Chinese company Fook Woo specializing in the waste trade and the recycling of paper, our waste paper arrives in containers in the big port of Hong Kong. They will mix with all the paper and cardboard recovered in the great metropolis of Hong Kong by those who are called here "scavengers", the street pickers who live by their collection.
These thousands of tons of waste paper and cardboard, including ours, then take the way to the large recycled paper factory Fook Woo located in Chinese territory a hundred kilometers from Hong Kong.
New products are produced here with cheap labor: newsprint, toilet paper, handkerchiefs, hand towels and other cardboard packaging.
The circle is complete, these new products are going to Europe and the whole world, we will consume them and the journey of waste will resume its cycle.

China today

www.todaylachine.com
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 03/02/09, 14:21

it would be better to burn them on site with preferably heat / electricity cogeneration. : Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/02/09, 14:57

And what do you think we do in our deom (well, of course, winter) ... well, maybe that's why she bistre beaucoup : Mrgreen:

We bring to recycling only "filthy" style cardboard: plasticized, food cardboard (pizza and co full of ink and chlorine) and when there is really too much tape. Yes because we remove the stoch before burning the boxes ... (what is it a bit extreme?).

95% of the delivery boxes of the Book are thus valued as heat :)

Note the deom is a cogé as it is not isolated above: it heats water and air! Hihhihihi : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/08/10, 20:14

Another way to recycle cardboard: make furniture using direct recycling.

Cardboard work is his pleasure and it has become his job
Wednesday 11.08.2010, 05:06 - BY DIDIER BOUDRY

This former executive in business did not hesitate to take the plunge to set up on his own in a very original field: interior designer and creator of cardboard objects and furniture. For Séverine Huant, the use of this material does not correspond to a fashion: it is an ecological choice.

For the moment Séverine Huant is working at home, requisitioning a room to set up a workshop and all the other rooms on the ground floor to set up an exhibition of what can be done with cardboard.

- What is your background ?

“I worked as a quality method manager at Faurecia in Hénin. I entered it very young after an internship and I had made a career there in good conditions. After the birth of my second child, I decided to change lanes. So I resumed studies as an interior designer. This is how I discovered cardboard. I immediately followed an internship with a manufacturer of cardboard objects and I liked it. After another training with the Lens Management Boutique, I carried out a test in a business incubator. "

- What attracted you to this activity?

"The cardboard is easy to implement, you can make a mistake and start again. You should know that I had studied general mechanics and that I worked on metal. I used these techniques. But there is no constraint of shapes or colors. Here we don't need anything and above all it's more ecological. "

- Is cardboard fashionable?

“For the moment, it has not yet entered into mentalities in the region. This is why I spend a lot of time prospecting, especially during art fairs. People are interested in this innovation but from there to adopt it ... yet the technique was created by a designer in the 70s. "

- What is your way of working?

"I make to measure. Often people tell me in which space they want to place the furniture. I move around and try to see with them, I make sketches, we talk about the functionality of the furniture. Then I make at home. "

- You only do the manufacturing?

“I also offer training to teach people to make. Again, I go to their house with the equipment and, after 15 pm, at the pace they want, they have created a piece of furniture that they keep. I also organize entertainment for children or adults, to make and decorate objects, both with individuals and with communities. "

- What can we create with cardboard?

“Everything, except of course objects that will stay outside even if they are protected against humidity. This can be a photo frame, a lamp, a support for a musical instrument, a coffee table for a collector, jewelry, large letters to write a name. I even made a counter for a store. "

- Where does the cardboard come from?

“I prefer to stay faithful to my approach to respecting the environment by not buying it but by trying to recover it, especially from companies that would take it to the recycling center. And to say that individuals throw away the cardboard when they don't even know everything they can do with it. I cut, I strengthen, I assemble with scratch tape, I put a varnish then I decorate. Cardboard is solid and it doesn't cost more than furniture bought in a store. It should not be forgotten that everything is done by hand. It's really crafts. "

Archi Carton: 06 25 80 19 76 (on exhibition from 9 to 11 October at the Salon des métiers d'art, Salle Jean-Nohain in Lens).

Source: http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/Locales/Lens ... ir-e.shtml

Good after must love the style ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 12/08/10, 21:13

and also:

http://www.leshowducarton.be

it's not a girlfriend, I don't know her, but at least it's Belgian, it's even carolo! :D

Editor's note: Carolo, Carolingian: resident of the Charleroi region, Belgium.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be