An island of 3,43 millions of square kilometers !!!

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

An island of 3,43 millions of square kilometers !!!

by Lietseu » 20/02/09, 18:34

Absolutely extraordinary information published in the mosquito TV number 4334 of February 18, 2009 ...

A seventh continent is being formed in the North Pacific!

Nothing extraordinary so far?

When I tell you, that this continent is made up of waste and plastic, and that it measures the trifle of 3,43 million square kilometers (that is to say a third of the surface of Europe) you may revise your judgments in relation to ecology (and more particularly to the craze that it causes).
This aggregate of waste consisting of canisters of bags reached in places the thickness of 30 m! At the pace where things are going, we will soon be able to walk on them!
The area of ​​this island has tripled since 1997 and could be multiplied by ten by 2030…

We also learn in this article, among other things, that in the United States 212.000 cans are consumed per minute ...

Let the English throw the equivalent of 30 billion euros of food a year into the trash ...

That the mass of "hidden waste" produced during making a computer amounts to 1500 kilos ...

Only one thing is "comforting": Belgium would be the champion of recycling.
This allows me to end on an optimistic note despite everything. : Mrgreen:
With the best regards from Lietseu
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/02/09, 18:37

I had already heard the info but 3.4 Million km² it seems ... huge !!

Are you sure of your number? 3.4 million ???

Belgium - Area - Total: 30 km528 = 2 Million km²
France - Area - Total: 675 km417 = 2 Million km²
Australia - Area - Total: 7 km686 = 850 Million km²

Where can we see it on Google map or earth?
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 20/02/09, 18:47

The figure seemed huge to me too, but given that we specify a third of the surface area of ​​Europe ... : Mrgreen:

The journalists of Moustique are, serious people it seems to me ....

I did not see an image on Google Earth, but by searching a little or by informing the bad people of Google, maybe they will do the rest :?:

Bonsoir :P
0 x

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 20/02/09, 18:49

I've already read and seen stuff on it.

The area is quite plausible.

What is less so are the terms like island, continent in formation, walking on it, ... It is great anything from daily to sensations.

It is a huge area (the entire center of the North Pacific in fact) in which the currents turn in circles. In the center then accumulates all the debris that is trapped. I see it a bit like particles in a glass of water to which we have transmitted a rotational movement.

And so there is a high concentration of plastic bags and various debris there, but from there you can walk on it ... : roll:
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/02/09, 18:50

Pouted ... I remain skeptical: how much is the volume of 1/2 of Australia over 30 m high?

Probably more than any oil ever pumped ... : Mrgreen:

Good plastic can contain air but all the same ...

Speaking of Google Earth: look at this http://www.purdue.edu/eas/carbon/vulcan/GEarth/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJpj8UUMTaI
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 20/02/09, 18:52

Sensationalism? Maybe, but with a thickness of 30m, I would not be surprised if we could walk on it ...
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 20/02/09, 18:59

As the highflyaddict says, it's 30 m "diluted" that I believe ... but certainly not "compacted" as in a burial mound of waste ...

Were there "pictures"?
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 20/02/09, 19:32

in any case, if it emerges I buy myself a small piece of it for the holidays : Lol:
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 20/02/09, 19:37

Melting ice, ocean dilation, rising sea levels. PAs complicated, the climate refugees following the immersion of their lands, direction the new island in formation : Lol:

No kidding !!!

Uh ... I hope I didn't give a bad idea to a bad imperialist ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 25/02/09, 10:12

Well, in a way, it's encouraging!

If all the waste is collected in one place * ...
It will be easier to collect them if we have the will.

With the pricing of raw materials, maybe it will be a jackpot one day?

* It reminds me of the leaves of trees that fall in autumn, everywhere. If you are a little patient, you wait for the first winds, and the leaves, following the air currents, pile up in a corner or against a fence.
It is there that I take my telephone and that I warn the technique of my bordering supermarket to tell him that "Monsieur Le Vent" kindly collected all the sheets, and that it only remained for him to take them away. .
0 x