Add batteries on PV installation

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
frenchkiss66
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Add batteries on PV installation

by frenchkiss66 » 12/10/17, 16:25

Hello, I ask myself a question: Over time, I realize that my 100w panel is oversized for my battery bank (2x36Ah / 12v) and my relatively low and unusual consumption (once a week on average). I had the idea of ​​adding another battery pack to double (at least) my storage capacity. But it seems to me to have read, here or elsewhere, that the batteries in series or in parallel (this is my case) must be of the same brand, capacity and age. How then, should I get rid of my old batteries (otherwise perfect) to give a completely new and identical set? or am I wrong, or is there a trick to work around the problem?
thank you for your answers or ideas.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Add batteries on PV installation

by Gaston » 12/10/17, 17:19

In general, the association of several batteries is always a problem (not the same problems depending on whether one places in series or in parallel).

Taking identical batteries of the same age can limit (or delay) the onset of problems.

The best solution would be to use a single, larger capacity battery.

There is also the possibility of using a BMS to manage the charge of each battery individually, but for lead batteries, this is quite rare (and certainly more expensive than a new large capacity battery).
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Add batteries on PV installation

by izentrop » 12/10/17, 22:08

Hello,
To avoid the discharge of a battery in another, one can add schottky diodes. To make the diagram you would need the charger reference.
Standart, pwm or MPPT?
0 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"