Is it worth its price triple glazing? + 80% as double glazing

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Is it worth its price triple glazing? + 80% as double glazing

by jean63 » 05/01/08, 11:50

How to save on heating?

3. Windows: double or triple glazing?

The windows are up to 30% of heat loss from a conventional home (up to a window loses 10 times more heat than the same size wall).
What to do ? Installing double glazing reduces heat loss caused by condensation (the inner surface is colder with single glazing). However, the use of triple glazing, which cost almost 80% higher than the equivalent in double glazing range, it is not necessary (we are close to "over-insulation").
While waiting to replace your single-glazed windows, a simple plastic sheet 3 mm fixed on woodwork with double-sided saves 3 or 4 degrees!

source: http://www.seniorplanet.fr/anim/faire-d ... .4.fr.html

What do you think of this statement? I thought I read in this forum when discussing the over-insulation of passive houses, that triple glazing is hardly more expensive than the double .... who is right?
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 05/01/08, 13:56

No this is not 80% more expensive but until 50% more possible, normal also because if the double glazing can be adapted to Standard frames is not at all the case triple much larger and especially heavier ... but efficiency is the appointment ...
The triple is also very effective against noise ...
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: is it worth its price Triple glazing? + 80% as dual lives

by bham » 06/01/08, 17:34

jean63 wrote:
How to save on heating?

3. Windows: double or triple glazing?

The windows are up to 30% of heat loss from a conventional home (up to a window loses 10 times more heat than the same size wall).
What to do ? Installing double glazing reduces heat loss caused by condensation (the inner surface is colder with single glazing). However, the use of triple glazing, which cost almost 80% higher than the equivalent in double glazing range, it is not necessary (we are close to "over-insulation").
While waiting to replace your single-glazed windows, a simple plastic sheet 3 mm fixed on woodwork with double-sided saves 3 or 4 degrees!

source: http://www.seniorplanet.fr/anim/faire-d ... .4.fr.html
What do you think of this statement?

I think it's still writing qqu'un which has not informed and / or who do not know much.
I bought this year for wood / aluminum windows with triple glazing, the latter representing a gain of € 20 / m2 npar compared to double glazing, ie far from the 80% to +. And other comparative quotations that I would not give me a cost difference as high either, it was rather in 10% of added value.
Over there to talk about on-insulation is anything since even triple-glazed windows is less insulating than a similar wall surface properly insulated.
Go read what I had written on the subject:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/constructi ... t3026.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/01/08, 18:00

Well vi a lot of bullshit even on "pro" sites like this one ... should be pointed out to them, right? On the forum for example...

Otherwise question at solar gains (So ​​free) in mid season and winter, triple glazing is not it too disadvantaged relative to twice the overall balance sheet level (= losses - solar gains)?
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/01/08, 18:50

This should be clarified: 80% compared to what?

the glass itself by double glazing of the same brand? or double glazing poor quality (which will become dull after 10 years PCQ not waterproof)

relative to a frame equipped? the same range?

indeed, between a double frame windows first prize of DIY (kind Diffusion Joinery no particular judgment on the firm) Merbau and a triple frame top glazing range in native oak afzelia or aluminum made in Germany color ago probably even more than 80%! It might even there be + 200%
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/01/08, 18:58

I hope for the credibility of the site seniortruc they have taken your comments into account elephant ... otherwise it's anything ...

ps: about German chassis we just bought 1 pvc frame Kömmerling you know?
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 06/01/08, 20:46

However, the use of triple glazing, which cost almost 80% higher than the double glazing an equivalent range, does not impose itself (we are close to "over-insulation").

The comparison is for the same quality of course ... it's written in the article.

When I read this price difference that struck me as odd.

so you really need to beware of these items supposed to give good advice.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 06/01/08, 21:01

Hello
In your climate quality double glazing is already well
double glazing or triple glazing if aprés10ans the south side windows in the sun there is always a replace, it is a condensation between the panes and hello triple or single thermos is the same punishment.
If it's very cold and are not an adequate ventilation in the house windows are sweating the humidié down, the window must have a certain temperature to prevent condensation
the curtains that hide the window often prevents proper ventilation, the ventilation outlet must soufler between the curtain and the large window

windows is a part of the insulation, but the ceiling and exterior walls must be prioritized before thinking of the triple glazing

Andre
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/01/08, 22:30

Andrea says:

it is a condensation between the panes and the triple thermos hello or simply it's the same punishment.

this is what I said:

there are several way to fabriquer.les serious manufacturers inject a dry, inert gas between the panes and ensures a good seal, otherwise, it ''s misery, condensation, algae, and everything
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 09/01/08, 10:56

Christophe wrote:Otherwise question at solar gains (So ​​free) in mid season and winter, triple glazing is not it too disadvantaged relative to twice the overall balance sheet level (= losses - solar gains)?

The overall balance sheet level not.
Solar gain level probably yes but otherwise it is 2 times more insulation than a double glazing.

I advise you to go for a ride on the following website which explains a lot:
http://www.lamaisonpassive.fr/files/le_ ... haus12.pdf

A window lets in the room, the light
direct and indirect solar. The overall coefficient of
energy transmission, g defines the part of the energy
Solar that will penetrate in the case of a radiation
perpendicular to the glazing. The house windows
passive must have a positive energy balance in
winter too. Therefore, it is requested to the glazing
to respect:
Ug - 1,6 W / (m²K) g <0
That such a condition is satisfied and it is the certainty
that during the heating period, the window
let go more solar energy than it loses
itself of heat.
Passive house windows are not holes
black energy in the facade, but they
allow more recovery of solar energy.
This is valid as the window is not too
shaded and it has a range between orientation
the southeast and southwest.

If you apply the above formula to triple glazing knowing Ug = 0,6 (at least) and g = 0,50, you see you have a positive energy balance.
If you apply this formula to double glazing with Ug = 1,1 and solar factor g = 0,63, you end up with 0,5 x 0,63, i.e. 0,31> 0! therefore negative energy balance.
0 x

Back to "Renovation, construction and real estate work: help, advice and methods ..."